• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl Reports

Never thought about this but the last 2 nights on the farm with a river running through it and ponds around etc. I saw 0 ducks, roughly 300 honkers, but 0 ducks and I even yes waited until that wood duck time, heard no wings, saw no ducks. Tonight I'll walk the bank of that river full of flooded timber/logs etc. but I'm not optimistic, then again this area of the state likely isn't well known for ducks, but with zero hunting pressure near my farm I'd expect to see a few, maybe tonight's the night. I know, night hunt is this Sunday, but I will be holding the heater as the skunks, oppossums, raccoons, and coyotes are plenty thick in the area, maybe that has a bit to do with few if any ducks around, I don't know.

NW MN: Still not huge numbers of birds moving yet. Weather is beautiful, and wind has primarily been out of the south in our area, so waterfowl are pretty content to bask in the sun, and enjoy abundant water and food.

Observed roughly 2000 geese milling around TRF this morning. Also saw a flock of probably 500-700 ducks of mixed species. Seeing more birds zipping south on the river - likely teal and woodies.

If your in the right field, this weekend could be a decent shoot.

4 guys hunting in the north central part of the state. Best opener in a decade or more! Hunted Sun-Wed. Easily could have taken limits every day, but showed a bit of restraint so we didn't have to eat duck morning, noon and night to keep under our possession limit. smile

The variety was the most amazing part for us. Our normal fare of mostly ringers was present, along with our standard smattering of mallards, woodies and widgeon, but in addition we took redheads, cans, bluebills, green wings, blue wings and honkers. Even saw a few snows (rare on our waters). Add to that 3 rounds of golf and 4 trips out bass fishing (lots of fish too), it was a GREAT opener!

Hunted Itasca county the last sun-thurs with my brother. Hit or miss.

Sun- 4-1 woody,1 ringer,2 mergansers.

Mon- 2 Mergansers

Tues- Nothing

Wed- 2 woodies, 1 ringer, 1 merganser

Thurs- 9 Ringers

Hunting mostly lakes with wild rice and a couple of ponds. The ponds usually hold a lot of ducks but aren't producing. Doing better in the rice. Headed back up sunday for another few days at it.

Not seeing many mallards, though we did wiff on a couple flocks.

Went to a lake west of Otsego. Never got a shot. About a thousand coots in the middle. Hard to compete with them. Some ducks out there but they would just get up,fly in a circle without coming near the shore and go back down. This high pressure system has been here long enough ! We need changes. Did see one high flock of cacklers moving south.

we saw a few ducks and managed to get a bluebill and a mallard and stringerless I think I saw that same flock of cacklers this morning when I got home they went over the house no mistakeing the calls of those birds

no shortage of ducks in eastern south dakota this morning. scouted for honkers last night but didn't get the field so I picked a random wpa to go to this morning. buddy shot his first duck band (drake mallard) and we had 15-20 different flocks of mallards work the dekes as well as a few honkers. our shooting sucked after the wind switched on us but we each walked out with a handfull of green.

Had one of the slowest goose mornings I've ever seen around the Lac qui Parle area. Saw a loner around 8:00 that wanted nothing to do with our setup, and four others came in at 8:30 that we killed one out of. Those were the only geese we saw all morning. Drove around for an hour, even by the refuge and didn't see a bird. I don't know if the hot weather is affecting the action, but there were no birds to be found.

Had one of the slowest goose mornings I've ever seen around the Lac qui Parle area. Saw a loner around 8:00 that wanted nothing to do with our setup, and four others came in at 8:30 that we killed one out of. Those were the only geese we saw all morning. Drove around for an hour, even by the refuge and didn't see a bird. I don't know if the hot weather is affecting the action, but there were no birds to be found.

did you scout? not much for migrators down yet, but guys are putting the hurt on the birds that are around...saw some pretty impressive hunts on facebook from a certain maxxed out guide... whistle

We got one ringee this morming and saw a few ducks during shooting hours but WOW we saw hundreds of divers and mallys 15 min or so be fore shooting hours started.. They never came back Oh well thats duck hunting be back at it again tomarrow...

Same lake. Same story. Coots and ducks in middle. One did make a mistake and come to us and we got it. Spoonie hen !!!!!!!!! 3 mojos,a dozen geese and over 65 duck dekes of mixed species and not one flock even gave us a second look ! Idiots across the lake hunting geese with rifles I think. Had to be, as high as they were shooting at them !

Our family went out this morn. the four of us got our woodie limit quick only one hen(someone said they were sure it was drake uh! ha!) and one mallard drake. That was all we seen woodies and the one mallard. Must say it was a blast in the flooded corn my wife got the honors of taking the last wood duck, me and my two sons were amazed at the shot she made, she says shes good we said more like lucky.

Carlos Pool nine from 3;30 - sunset. 1 woodie drake. Only shot we had. Could have had a few others but you all know the story: apparently they are making 6 1/2 inch shells now !! Really, really sad to see !! Was suprised by the lack of ducks after 4. Maybe they have been hunting till sunset every night and the birds are nocturnal already !

was out tonight near hugo. the first hour and a half was slow. saw a few off in the distance and then a couple honkers. then i had to come in and i shot and all h3ll broke loose and there were birds everywhere for about 10 min then done! like someone shut of the switch. untill sunset when all the geese came back to roost.