• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl Reports

Mosy there are birds are on Lac qui parle, not a ton, you just have to scout a little bit. Last two weekends 56 honkers, 4 blues and 10 ducks (mixed bag). Saturday was insane, 9 man 27 bird limit, got some good video footage of it, hopefully we'll have it this week.

I think it will be another week before we get a push of birds into the area. The reports up in Winnipeg look pretty balmy this week before cooling down next weekend. Birds have moved into Oak Hammock Marsh, but it may be a few weekends yet before we see any of them.

Here's my facebook link for some pics

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MaXXed-Out-Guides/97833614222?ref=ts

http://www.oakhammockmarsh.ca/pdf/migration-counts-2010.pdf

This is the migration count for Oak Hammock Marsh. This is the refuge that holds the majority of the birds that migrate to Lac qui parle. It's suprisingly accurate because I can match up the majority of the large drops in birds here with large arrivals at lac qui parle in past years. The exception was last year, but that was the strangest year I have ever seen...ever.

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Great weekend on the rice pond. Saturday morning there were 100s of ducks on the pond when we broke the water...sounded like a jet plane taking off. When shooting hours arrived, we ended up with 4 divers and plenty of misses...just my 8 yr. old and I this weekend. We ended the day early since he had a soccer game...didn't go back out. Sunday morning was the same with 100s of ducks on the rice...we left early to do some things with the fam some we could come back out for the evening hunt. There were small groups that would pop in and out but once the sun got close to the skyline, then it was flock after flock after flock. We got our 12 birds for the day and then just sat and watch the pond fill up with ducks...amazing to watch. He had a great time...he said "I can't wait for next Saturday Dad". smile

Two of us hunted a bean field on Saturday morning running traffic for honkers and only had 4 come in and whacked em. There were not many around, only saw a few flocks. There were 4 of us hunting Sunday morning and saw many geese and some ducks so we shot 15 geese and our limit of mallards...Pics will be in the waterfowl photo section.

We got one ringee this morming and saw a few ducks during shooting hours but WOW we saw hundreds of divers and mallys 15 min or so be fore shooting hours started.. They never came back Oh well thats duck hunting be back at it again tomarrow...

Same area as opener? Debating on heading north again in two weeks or heading west after some rooster. Watching the weather at the moment to see what it's going to do.

Hunted three miles east of the outlet of Lower Red Lake on Saturday. Only four people hunting at all in this area. We had a guide get us reservation permits and boy was it fun. Shot 3 mallys, a couple bluebills, and one big canada. Really warm and little wind though. Will probably head back up there this weekend.

I think my 18 year old has it figured out. He has 3 of my boats stashed around Anoka county and hits each of his spots like a milk run. Doing good every day. No limits but birds that he can decoy without some [PoorWordUsage] shooting when they cross the county line ! He says today he saw a push of ringies. Got a HUGE honker. It wingspan is as wide as his arms out to the side. I told him to quit sending me pics of birds every day before I quit my job ! It's killing me !

Went out by myself this morning and had some luck. A lot of corn coming out in the LQP area, so I set up on a corn/bean field edge and had good luck. Shot two within 20 minutes and should have had a 3rd, but the shadow from the blind was flaring them at 70 yards. Also jumped a couple woodies.

Got 4 ringers, a grean wing, and a mallard yest. Today 4 greenheads and a mixture of gadwall, teal, woodies, but no ringers. Not sure where they went. Got a total of 11 today and couldn't find a couple. Lots of shooting this morning and lots of ducks. Western MN

Hunted up near Forest Lake and got a 1 man limit. Definatley new(er) birds are comin through cause all the birds decoyed perfectly and were'nt scared of decoying in with 2.5doz deeks and a mojo.. Good thing i can hunt this week pretty much cause of M.E.A. or i'd be missin out. Also missed quite a few birds (mallys)

Ringnecks are here in force. 2 Short of a 3 man limit. Do we shoot at these 20 or wait for the 200 right behind them ?!!? You know you have had one of your all time best hunts when you are hunting with an unloaded gun cause the action was so fast it was pandemonium !!! Get out there !

went out again near hugo, a few birds here and ther not near as many as last weekend. i think all the picked fields were screwin me over because as soon as i got the boat to shore and it was gettin dark the geese started comin in to roost. hey jordyn where near forest lake?

More birds have been pushing down over the last week with the cooler temps, I've been noticing a lot more ducks in the ponds and out on the bigger lakes. They are talking measurable snow up my way next week so that will give them the push south!!

Carlos tonight. Thought I might die push poling into that wind but it sounded a lot worse than it was. Saw 4 mallards land as I was unloading and 6 more join them later. Had one pair of ringie hens decoy but I shot too soon and blew it ! Only chance I had. Did not see any other ducks even after sunset on the way out. Only 2 coots in pool. 4 geese came in to roost at 6:33 when I was driving out.