• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl Reports

Lots of birds around. Teal, mallards, ring bills, woodies, geese in that order.

19 for 5 sat had a great time. Quite a few guys out but little sky busting so it was manageable. Everybody had a few birds.

12 for 4 sun but saw a lot of birds even 930& later. Most guys we've had or seen on opener for awhile. The most ducks too.

They r planning 2011 already

Great opening weekend...the best i can remember in quite some time. 10 birds for 2 of us on Saturday and a limit today. Woodies, ringnecks, and teal. no mallards but we saw a bunch today.

We did ok this a.m. eight for four of us, 3 teal, 1 widgeon,1 shoveler, 3 woodies. Still had trouble finding many birds,we jump shot 3 of the eight. i have to say every opener is great just being with the family my wife and both boys hunt with me it's a great thing. Looking forward to next wknd. when we can try the rotos out again hopefully the weather turns a little crappy.

A slow start to the morning for our fog was heavy in the area we hunted , but other hunters in the immediate area had excellant shooting. Never heard anything like it in my life ! multiple shots heard every 30-40 seconds for about two hours straight most probally 1/4 mile away. yet we had one woody before 8 am today took till noon to shoot a 3 man limit of woodies. after the fog lifted. birds where kinda decoy shy . We pulled all but 9 decoys and replaced them out of shooting range up wind and killed every bird over the lake after wards.

still cant wrapp my head Around it,

Saturday 3 geese, saw one flock of mallards and that was it. Sunday moved down the road about 2-3 miles and have never seen so many ducks in my lifetime. We ended up with 13 Sunday just because we were terrible shots. More woodys and teal than we could count, also some really nice flocks of mallards. Prbably saw more than 1000 birds sunday before sunrise. I wish some of you guys who say the woodys and teal move out before opener could have been there to see what I saw.

Good reports guys, especially those who mention the area of the state where they were hunting.

I was near Alexandria this weekend. Got four ducks (2 woodies, 1 bluewing, 1 redhead) and a goose on Saturday between my father-in-law and myself. We only managed 1 redhead on Sunday. Overall didn't see very many ducks but this rates as an above average opener for us.

Only hunted Sunday morning as we didn't want to move the geese working our field on Saturday with the 09:00 start. This turned out to be a good strategy.

Sunday morning three guns took 5 nice honkers. As always, should have filled, but those darn guns got bent again last winter! The nice weather made birds a little hesitant to totally commit, and they milled around out of range too often.

We've got a few large groups of geese up here in NW MN, but no significant numbers yet. I've heard reports of some nice bunches of ducks up by Thief Lake. We watched several flights of woodies working south along the river Sunday morning. I believe our group only saw one small group of Mallards. A small push of birds moved south out of our area prior to the opener. Now lets pray for the big push!

I'll provide reports as often as possible from NW MN. Going to be an unseasonably warm week coming up, so I don't anticipate any migrational movement for a little while. Beans are coming off the fields fast now. Our Sunday geese came from a harvested bean field.

48 ducks for 4 hunters! Hunted a flooded bean field that held hundreds of duck and a dozen or two of geese. Well, they all took off when we set up at 8:45 and buzzed all around until 9:00am shooting time and then they were gone! All of them never to return! We thought we were gonna slaghter them! full-983-1761-pa020461.jpg

Should of waited until 9:00am! Hindsight 20/20!

So we went to our backup spot on a lake that held a few ducks and ended up with our limit of teal, mallards, redheads, ringbills, and spoonbills! We were done by 2:30 with our limits! Sunday, 9:30am had our limit of woodies, redheads and teal.

What a weekend. We hunted western Mn.

Poor. 6 birds in 2 days for 2 guys. No ducks around anywhere while scouting. Talked to a lot of guys that didn't fire their guns. Hutchinson/Glencoe/Winthrop triangle.

Strange, I know of 2 groups that shot 3 and 4 man limits by 9:30am on Saturday and by 8am Sunday. They were in that area.

I hunted near Svea and did Ok 14 for 4 guys on Saturday.

Hunted alone in Isanti County on Sunday and got 3.

sunday was the day for us. We got eight with two guns. Very excited about the bull can that came out of nowhere, im surprised he didnt hear us announce his presence haha. It was a fun morning, made up for saturday. We got one drake mallard, bull can, redhead and the rest teal.