• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall Open Water Reports n Stuff

Learned a valuable lesson last night on not using 777 left on the work bench over the winter after cleaning the muzzleloader . . . not only does it sound poofy when you pull the trigger but the bullet doesn't reach the target! It was impressive white smoke however, but nothing on the ground once it cleared. blush LOL, it was fun just being out.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay - McCoy didn't get killed so it was a good game actually I think the fine was over the top on Harrison 75K but he does have history of teeing up guys but I thought he would get 15K per hit maybe 30 K for the two but hey I am not his lawyer.

Left Rome after Benjie Molina hit that 3 run shot to put the Rangers up over the Yankees for good, sorry Tuzzy. wink

Went 2 for 4 last night on the eyes 20.5" and a 19" fished the east end for about an hour and did squat and headed north, fished in wind 7-9 mph from SSW so I need something to launch through the wind that had some weight so I used my trusty challenger. Fish were not stacked by any means, left around 2:30 a.m. Nice night you gotta love fishing by moonlight.

Had to work for em north last night probably fished about 2 hours to catch 3 for 3, beauties, 21" 17" and a 15.25". I took a cell phone pic but it looks like carp. They were all up for the challenge. wink Fished with Fishin Phil's buddy Tom Pierce up at craps for a little while. Phil left last friday for Florida. Tom did tell me Phil did catch a few off the back 40 before he left for warmer climes. At least I got home by midnight. smile They were a total of 5 fisherman I saw all night and they all left with either zero or one fish. whistle East end was dead again.. Winds were 9-11 mph out of the SSW had to throw against it all night.

That's funny Jay.. Frank was a littleto cold to fish last night after he got done hunting. whistle He didn't miss much as I fished for 3 hours on the east end and caught 4 walleyes 2 jigging and 2 crankin. Todd left with a limit by 8 p.m.. I fished a bit with John Jacubowsky and caught my last nice walleye around 10:50 p.m. Had to wear the ice gear last night wind was nice, were getting their.

Todd and I fished in the boat last night late. It was very slow going until we finally found some fish. We covered alot of ground searching but once we found em Todd put a beating on them with at least 10 eyes caught. I had spool problems all night and Todd put on the main show in the boat. We caught some nice smallies a 7 pound sheephead. Here are the pics..

pa230024.jpg

Todd caught a bunch of these!

pa230026k.jpg

Glad to see you guys are doing some fish. Thunder, seems like Timmy always puts on a fine performance no matter what he's doing. Frankie congrats on the doe, I'm sure Cloud and Tank will be taking a few this season.

I'm sure Cloud and Tank will be taking a few this season.

Maybe? whistle I took a doe last sat, Tanks been passing some smaller bucks and tonight, well...

Had a good weekend here. Tank had a bunch of stuff going on sat so I went down to camp. A bunch of the guys were there for early muzzloader and I figued i'd fish some eyes and do some cooking. Hit the river for the last few hours and picked 7 eyes 16-18.5 inchers. Five on jigs/plastics and two on sticks...

full-1130-2516-005.jpg

full-1130-2517-007.jpg

Stayed over down there and made a big breakfast for everyone. Fished a little on the way home, nada...

Stopped at work and put in a few hours. Weather was wierd tonight, warm, not much wind, and a few showers. Tank and I hit our stands early and some deer were moving. We both had small spikes come by and a few doe moving. Tank also saw another small buck.

Then as darkness settled in I had a big boddied nice buck work around me and finally gave me a shot. I was confident in the shot and thought I heard him go down, but you never know...

We went and got the lights and followed a solid 80 yard blood trail to my buck. Not the biggest deer in the woods but im happy! grin

full-1130-2518-016.jpg

full-1130-2519-018.jpg

Been in contact with Timmy, hes into some fish tonight aslo...

nicely done Jay . . fish and deer. Was at a camp in the Dacks this last weekend . . . no bucks but enough doe around to bring the boys in when its time. Big eye opener when you are some place with absolutley NO SERVICE . . . you can have all the apps you want but not going to happen without the juice in the air.

Nice deer Jay! Walleye weekend report Friday was slow for us Saturday was much better and last night was decent as I went 7 for 9, one challenger and the rest on a blue t-stick. nice average size on the North Shore. I had a little flurry going late and Donny and Shaun showed up. Well Shaun fished next to me and he missed 1 then caught one, missed another and caught two. Donny on the other hand was changing plugs moving all around and not doing squat as Shaun and I were pulling fish so I offered my Thunderstick to Donny to see if he could score as I was pretty much finished and ready to go. After about 15 min. and no fish I told Donny I was going home. Shaun and Donny each had waders on and they tried some other spots on the north shore and didn't do much. Most of you guys don't know Donny but I remember Donny not being to happy when fish are being caught around him and he is not doing anything. He gets frustrated way to quick and is hilarious just watching him get all nerved up. You had to be there when he starts cussing, classic. Back to the story so I slide down the rocks to retriev my plug and Donny instead of walking another 5' to hand me the plug he tosses it to me and it land smack dab in a a crevass between two big boulders and naturally the next wave throws the plug between em cry at the same time I am reaching for it while it is in mid air and I hit a slick slime spot on the flat rock and down I go on my keester which will be 15 shades of bruised colors sometime today. mad I was so [PoorWordUsage] at Donny that I made him dig around the rocks to get my plug back. He made just enough room so he could slip his arm down between the rocks and he just barely squeezed his hand in there enough to poke a treble into his outstretched finger to get a hold of my plug, served him right. laugh Soresore today but it was a good night. All beauties 19" plus..

Nice buck jay. I had some teeth pulled Thursday and recovered Friday. Got out bow huntin sat am sore jaws and all. Saw little doe on the way in and a couple shooter does later but no shots. Saturday afternoon climbed in the stand around 3 for the evening sit. All was quiet till 5:15. Heard some activity off to my right so I got ready. Decent doe came running outta the swamp and didnt bother stoppin for a shot. As Im watchin her I hear more rustlein to the right. Thru the thick [PoorWordUsage] I see feet, Then Horns , Nose down hot on the ladies trail, he's headin right for the one lane ive got. Their trail and my shooting lane intersect at about 12 yards from my stand so, with the wind in my face, I come to full draw. "here he comes," (with no doubt the biggest buck ive ever had the pleasure of seeing while hunting), "he will be broadside slightly quartering away at 12 yds, This is perfect, what can possibly go wrong?, just 2 more steps and ill let the carbon fly". Well apparently those last 2 steps that I just mentioned wernt in his copy of the script. At the last bit of cover before my shooting lane and for absolutely no reason, the buck stops dead in his tracks, lifts his head and looks me straight in the face.. And there he was....... GONE... in a mud slinging frenzy he left with no forwarding address to wear abouts unknown.. The whole thing took less than a minute to transpire.

I had to sit there for 15 minutes so I could climb down outta my tree with out falling. I Cannot for the life of me figure out what happened. I do however have one more version of (the one that got away). This was honestly the biggest buck ive seen in the deer woods, I hve no idea how many points, but I know they were there and massive. Maybe ill get another chance but the odds are not in my favor im sure..

Great story . . it's the hunt and not the kill. We all get to share your experience and think about what could have happened. As for me, many of us have experienced being in the woods or some place and "feeling" someone is watching you or something is around. That buck got big for a reason . . . maybe he has that feel as well. Give the place a weeks rest and then put some tarsal gland out up wind from the swamp, he should be ready for a fight. At least you know he lives close . . .or did.

Talked to Chris last night and Al and the largest walleye caught last night was a nice 24" gotta cell phone shot of her. It was slow on the north and east end, couldn't believe it with the wind all day from the southeast the eyes should have been all over the north side but the only fish I caught was on the east end and I had to work for him. Talked to Kirkville he had a problem with his waders and a rock wall, 3" gash in his neoprenes mad and he still gutted it out and caught a couple eyes, wtg!

I agree Frank. It seems I enjoy the almosts and shouldve beens as much as the succesful hunts nowadays. As for the buck, Momma has allready laid claim to him and a couple others on the hill and has pretty much locked down her spot in the Tripod for the opener of gun season, so we'll have to go thru the trail cam pics and find out wich ones I can shoot at.....

Lookin forward to the weekend and some more huntin. Hopefully a mix of goose whackin and tree time. If all goes well my 5 yr old daughter Kaitlyn will be joining me on her first huntin adventure for some geese aswell. Shes been naggin me ever since I got the decoys out in late august. she also claimed one of my short reed calls and has been making it squelch for most of the summer. She is insisting that she calls the geese so Im bringing ear plugs...Im really looking forward to getting her out there and getting her involved in love of the outdoors. Ill try to remember the camera so I can share our fun..

Calli - that stinks! but its a little part of what keeps us at it. Iv'e had alot of bucks inside 25 yards archery hunting that I could not get a shot at. I can still picture clear as day the ginormus buck I had at 8 yards - full draw and no shot. That was probably 15 years ago...

It will be bow one day and gun the next or a mix of the two on the same day this weekend. I like the South wind that is forecasted . . . nonstandard and I have the perfect treestands in two different locations. Now of course, just like the fish don't read the same books I do, neither do the deer, but staying scentless does help. Now if I can just get the wine smell out of my clothes from last weekend at deer camp!!

Your are so right Jay.

Just helped some kid load my back yard Doe into the trunk of his car right in front of my house. Bout an hour ago his mom came knockin at the door in total Hysterics cause she had hit the big ol doe with her truck. When I say Hysterics I mean totally lost it, cryin, screamin and shakin. I Asked if she was ok and what happened and alls I could make out was I hit her, I hit her and shes dead in the ditch!!!! Most of you know I live on RTE 5 in Canastota so theres always lots of people walkin, joggin and riding bikes past the house. So naturally I thought she had hit a person. But even worse is she took out the Big doe that resides between my house and my neighbor in the back. Weve been watchin her and since we moved in and the last 2 yrs shes had a par of twins each spring. Lookin at her in the ditch was thinkin she would dress out round 100-125. Was I ever wrong. Throwing her in the trunk was a chore for us. I told him to let me know what shes weighin on the scale. Well he called and said shes pushin 150 dressed. WOW thats a lotta jerky!!!!!

Cali - That is a lot of jerky..

Fished the east end last night caught 6 eyes 4 keepers and 2 shorts all released and missed 6 as well, alot of short hits on a very slow retrieve. X-rap Shallow Shad Rap Clown and ghost. Franky did well at Schneibles and had his limit by 8 p.m. I had my limit a liitle after 9 p.m. Should be another decent night with the prevailing west wind.

Hit one of my spots on the Susky for the last hour and a half of daylight today. Caught 12 fish 14-19 inchers, kept 4 for the pan. 1/4oz jigs n plastics or gulp alive. And one on an X-rap... cool

Word on the street says Franklin killed a handicaped spiker today. Congrats!

finally got Kaitlyn out on a goose hunt today. Didnt kill any birds but I really enjoyed having her there with me. After about an hour and a half and 5 flocks of geese that didnt wanna cooperate she had had enough and was ready to go home but it was worth every monute for me. Heres a few pics of her and I on our first hunt together...

100_2359.jpg

Ever goose hunted with someone wearing bright pink snow pants and a dora hat??

100_2360.jpg

100_2361.jpg

100_2358.jpg

100_2357.jpg

100_2363.jpg

Like I said, no birds fell today but time in the field with my favorite girl is priceless....