• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall Open Water Reports n Stuff

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah like clockwork every year for the past 6 years we have lost the opener. I am taking the Chiefs this week they look good defensively as Romeo Crennel comes back to Cleveland. I think my lovable losers will be consistent as ever this season which is consistently bad even after Josh Cribbs received that big contract he looked slow on returns. The upside will be alot of fishing on Sundays..

Todd and I have been fishing a little not much happening on the perch, caught two eyes late Saturday night but nothing wading. Were not far away. This cold rain we have received will start receding a bit on the east end and the current flow that was roaring will start to settle and things should pick up real quick.

Hey men It has been a while since I have posted. It has been a busy summer around here for Chris and I. We launched our spammers and talk radio/podcast for all things ice fishing. We hope you enjoy and we will be around more often now that things are up and running.

A few late reports...

We had a good trip up to canada the last week of sept. The weather was all over the place! Cold, rain, wind, warm, sun, and it changed every day, usually twice. The fishing was decent/good. No big numbers in anyone spot, ya had to work and find fish. 6 of us brought home our limits and we had 5 meals, plus let many go...

A sunset...

full-1130-1850-008.jpg

A full mooon...

full-1130-1851-025.jpg

Tank and Billy...

full-1130-1849-016.jpg

A 2 footer...

full-1130-1852-026.jpg

Bucktails and gulp! cool

full-1130-1853-031.jpg

Tank made a clean sweep of the walleye, bass, and northern pools, an easy 30 bucks! I heald the lead on all three for a while...

Billy has more nice picts i'll get up when I get em...

Tank and I had planned on hitting the Salmon river last thursday/friday but then the rains turned 350-700CFS into 20,000!!! Beth and I took a ride on saturday to check things out and help a friend. We tooled around looking at the damage and ended up finding(accident whistle) some small water holding fish. I hooked a bunch and she landed some.

I can barely get her to hold a bluegill so this smaller coho wasnt easy...

full-1130-1857-008.jpg

She wasnt interested in holding this king...

full-1130-1856-022.jpg

Hey men It has been a while since I have posted. It has been a busy summer around here for Chris and I. We launched our North East Ice Fishing and talk radio/podcast for all things ice fishing. We hope you enjoy and we will be around more often now that things are up and running.

Fished the pier last night and didn't catch anything, current is still coming in pretty good. Threw the kitchen sink at em for a couple of hours and no dice. The wind was whipping good but died down by 9:30 p.m. when I left.

Seems like things have gone cold on the walleyes for the last couple of nights. Shad are in and thick, birds are crashing, and slashing going on . . . but no hits. Maybe with the rain coming in, they'll start back up as the water gets higher and colder. Deannies has been changed to Whitewater with a selection of craft beers . . . a couple 9-10+ alcohol content. If the fish aren't hitting . . . who cares!! If you don't go, you won't know.

Had a good trip up the Salmon River. Good numbers of salmon up river though they are getting prety beat up. Steelies are around and they are fresh. I hooked 3 yesterday morning but didnt see many where we were. Others did real well if you were in the right spot at the right time. Tank played with some steel also...

I'll put up some picts later...

Timmy - How ya feeling about the BrownStains game against Pitt this weekend? Probably not too good as it looks like you'll be starting a rookie QB against our D... cool Should be fun!

Some pictures...

Last sat I went on a 42 mile 4 wheeler ride with 9 others. Everything went fine and smooth except my buddy trying to go through a "wet" spot in 2 wheel drive...

full-1130-2231-002.jpg

full-1130-2232-004.jpg

Some from thursday...

Salmon are getting old...

full-1130-2233-011.jpg

Some not too bad...

full-1130-2234-010.jpg

Tank across the river...

full-1130-2235-014.jpg

full-1130-2236-018.jpg

Good luck to those bowhunting the opener tomorrow. We ain't going in the am - 20-30 mph winds, rain, and treestands are not a fun mix. Too many nice mornings ahead...

The wind was prety bad today but settled down in the evening. The deer were definatly moving. I shot a small doe about 5 o'clock and then had a decent 6 pt come by and five other doe...

Heres a neat pict of my shaddow from 20ft up...

full-1130-2242-001.jpg

Had this grouse around me for a while...

full-1130-2243-011.jpg

The doe went about 40 yards. Nice to see em go down...

Anyone else get out?

Nice pics DC Grouse they are good eating wink.I went out early this morning and caught a few slammer Marble eyes one was around 4lbs and the other around 7lbs. The waldos are all eating good but not aggressively strikeing the water temp is in the high 40's things will change soon grin.

Got out in the tree early sat morning. Had a small year old doe broad side at 10 yds but couldnt bring myself to smackin her. Let her grow up a little. couple nice bucks were seen by my buddies but no shots were present. Saw nothing this am but the boys are following blood from a wide rack buck in the swamp as I type this.

Timing might just be right for the eyes. Caught one and lost three last night. Second one swallowed the lure completely into the back throat. Others tapping and a couple of tugs then off in the thick weeds. Using small lures worked very slow.

Well the walleye gods finally smiled on me last night. It was like old home night at the Rogers residence and I went out after the Yankee rout and fished the east end at 12:15 a.m. this morning. Nobody down there but Todd's fishing buddy Leroy. Leroy missed the plug bite by about 15 min. it was pleasant to see a couple of bait crashes, about time. I lost my clown roque on a dandy fish and was a surprising 5 for 6 biggest was 20.5". That's real good for my first hour of fishing. Thw wind became calm the last hour and so didn't the n bite. Its been a struggle this fall for me of late but you can't catch em from home.. Hey Dougy no waders smile

Nice job TimmyToe! How did the Browns do sunday? I missed the game... whistle

Tank and I hunted this morning, no sightings, nada. Typical full moon of october has them moving funny. Lots of picts at night on the trail cams.

Tank did pass on a chip shot at a small buck yesterday evening. Pre-retired Tank, and that was a dead deer... grin

IceMan - You guys find that buck the other evening?

Unfortunately no. mad. ive made some tough decisions in my day and I had to make another one last night. As it turns out this is the 3rd instance where the desire to have braging rights took center stage over hunter ethics. Apparently owning a Mathews bow gives you the ability to shoot thru brush and take rediculously long shots on deer so you can have the trophy and bragging rights.. Needless to say theres one less bow hunter using our property now. I can not afford to have a lack of ethics in my woods..