• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep frying fish

mtheis

I currently deep fry my fish with a recipe that was popular here at one time. It involved dipping dried fillets in pancake mix, wet them in eggs and milk, and then coating them in potato flakes. This has tasted dilicious, but here is my problem. They seem to taste bland? What do you guys do to increase the flavor of your deep fried fish? Does the act of deep frying it remove the flavor of the batter? Can't seem to get it right!

you seem to be only using what you have mentioned. try putting your favorite seasoning eighther on the fish fillets prior to the dipping process or put the seasoning in with your batter and mix it in. i would lightly season the fillets and season the batter. good luck.

Your not going to get much flavor out of a pankake....add some seasonings to taste.

Speaking of pan-cakes the absolute best instant pancake mix is Sturdiwheat...Just Add Water and you're in heaven...seriously a must try.

They also have cajun and lemon fish fry mixs that are to die for.

I have used Andy's Red for years for the batter. Rinse the fish and let dry a little and then shake on the Andy's. No egg, milk or anything else needed. It fries excellent and isn't heavy tasting at all. If you want the fish to have any other flavor just season before you add the coating. This will be a very light coating, if you are looking for a heavy batter this isn't the one to try.

All of these suggestions are good and will help, but I think that reinhard1 nailed it on the head. Just mix in your favorite spice to the batter. My wife does a mix of lowry's seasoned salt and cayenne red pepper. Anything will work, just be creative and adventurous....or the old standby, but add something to that batter.

I use the originall Shore Lunch mix with a bit of pancake mix and some Italian bread crumbs, or saltines, or any kind of chips I may have around mixed in. No other dipping needed. A very light, very good breading mix.