• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ruger 10/22 vs. Ruger Charger

I currently have a Ruger 10/22 and looking into a Ruger charger witch basicly looks like the 10/22 with a shorter barrel and a handgun stock. What is the real differences between the 2? Is the reciever the same? Can a 10/22 fit into a Charger stock and vice versa? Can a 10/22 barrel fit into a Charger reciever and vice versa?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you put a charger action and charger barrel in a regular 10/22 stock, you now have an illegal short barreled rifle.

Im not looking to break the law. I want to know if there is any real differences in the gun barrels and recievers because i originaly planned to build a new 10/22 stock but thaught maybe i can purchase a charger barrel and build a pistol stock instead while i use the same reciever from my 10/22. Is it possible to put a charger barrel on a 10/22 reciever?

the ATF would not be happy about it.......

could you turn it into a pistol and register it as a pistol? how does a Thompson center encore be a rifle, muzzleloader, shotgun, pistol if it can only be registered as one gun?

good thing i have not done any modifications yet

It's a $200 to process the form with the fed. gov't to SBR 'Short Barrel Rifle' a firearm below the min. barrel length.

I believe it's 18" on a shotgun and 16" on a rifle.

If you do not reg. it and pay a fee it's a felony.

(Then you basically lose all your guns)

It's a $200 to process the form with the fed. gov't to SBR 'Short Barrel Rifle' a firearm below the min. barrel length.

I believe it's 18" on a shotgun and 16" on a rifle.

If you do not reg. it and pay a fee it's a felony.

(Then you basically lose all your guns)

I originaly planned when i turned 18 to buy a Thompson Center Encore shotgun and later on when i have extra cash to buy a 15" pistol barrel and pistol stock.

whats the process i would have to go thru to get the shotgun converted to the pistol?

I don't think there is one. The difference is once you remove the stock or shorten the barrel of the a shotgun it's concerned a Class 3 'Destructive Device' NOT a 'Short Barreled Rifle.' I believe are just plain illegal to own in our state, outside of being a dealer or manufacturer.

Call it the sawed-off shotgun rule...

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/MNSL.pdf i think you can alter it and call it a pistol, you just have to put a pistol grip on it.(be able to shoot with one hand) i don't see anything about reregestering, if it's a machine gun or sawed off shotgun you have to file a report with the ATF. i have an encore with a 30-06 pistol barrel, and the way it reads i wouldn't be legal if i left the rifle butstock on it because it has a 15" barrel, if i put my pistol grip on i'm legal.

I don't think there is one. The difference is once you remove the stock or shorten the barrel of the a shotgun it's concerned a Class 3 'Destructive Device' NOT a 'Short Barreled Rifle.' I believe are just plain illegal to own in our state, outside of being a dealer or manufacturer.

Call it the sawed-off shotgun rule...

to those who think im going to cut the barrel and stuff seriously? im not that dumb If you never heard of the ThompsonCenter Encore i suggest you look it up before telling me that cutting the barrel and making a pistol is illegal.

the TC Encore is a type of firearm that has shotgun barrels, rifle barrels, muzzle loader barrels, and 15 inch and shorter pistol barrels all meant to be used with the Encore reciever and there are a variety of stocks to go with the gun

I plan to buy a shotgun version of the Encore and later on when I have cash i plan to buy a pistol barrel plus the pistol fore end and grip as required for the gun to work, but apparently some people are telling me its illegal here and what i want to know is if it is illegal why would they be selling the gun and if it is legal whats the process i would have to go thru to do it.

Okay, I did a little research right now (typed in a simple search online) and I found this webpage. There seems to be a gray area right now and no one has challenged the govt. on it but the Beauru of ATF is pretty set in it's response.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=239

yep you can do, but the ATF has an opinion on it.

The way it was explained to me was that when a receiver is manufactured and at the time the serial number is engraved it is either registered as a pistol or a rifle by the manufacturer. You can legally change a pistol to a rifle but you can not change a rifle to a pistol (unless you register it as a SBR) . I found this out when I was purchasing an AR lower. This info was from a reputable dealer. I would be interested to know if all contenders and the like are registered as pistols.

Adding a forward assist or a rear stock on a pistol classifies it as an SBR and no longer a pistol. Even if they are removable.

wat is SBR? can someone just explain to me what i will have to do when i purchase a ThompsonCenter Encore SHOTGUN and later decide to buy a PISTOL BARREL and STOCK SET for the ENCORE.

SBR Short Barrel Rifle. You need to get the tax stamp from the feds. It is a 1 time $200.00 tax and your gun is now a class 3 weapon. I don't know if you can legally hunt with one or not. If I was going to get an Encore I would but the pistol first and then it will be registered as a pistol and you will have no issues with the rifle conversion.

SBR Short Barrel Rifle. You need to get the tax stamp from the feds. It is a 1 time $200.00 tax and your gun is now a class 3 weapon. I don't know if you can legally hunt with one or not. If I was going to get an Encore I would but the pistol first and then it will be registered as a pistol and you will have no issues with the rifle conversion.

that just dosnt make sense why the encore pistol can be changed to a longarm with no problem but the longarm versions will have issues being converted to the shortarm versions.

that just dosnt make sense why the encore pistol can be changed to a longarm with no problem but the longarm versions will have issues being converted to the shortarm versions.

BATF rules. If I had to guess on the "reasoning" I would say that some states require more background checks or a permit to purchase for hand guns versus long guns? This way you can't buy a long gun and convert legally to a pistol with out the proper checks.

BATF rules. If I had to guess on the "reasoning" I would say that some states require more background checks or a permit to purchase for hand guns versus long guns? This way you can't buy a long gun and convert legally to a pistol with out the proper checks.

makes sense

I guess i will have to ask about the shotgun encore being converted to the pistol encores whem time comes. I want the shotgun first since i will be 18 and for pistols u need to be 21 to purchase, I also would like to do more shotgun hunting b4 pistol hunting, ive done a few pistol hunting with a Deagle .50ae with my dad and i love the pistol hunting but the longarms hunt are sometimes better suited so having both encore shotgun and pistol would not be a bad idea for were we hunt