• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morneau Concussion

WyoChris

With all the talk about Favre, Rice, Mauer, etc... I haven't heard much about Morneau's status latly. I know it's been discussed before, but is Justin gonna make it back this season? I think NFL players get knocked up far more than baseball players and still come back and play within a few weeks. Is his concussion really this bad? Or is Gardy just playing it safe and saving him for the postseason?

If this is a serious condition, I agree don't push it and let him get better... but I never saw him being on the DL this long.... Have any official statements been made by the twins latly? What do you think? Am I missing something here?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've heard he's making progress. He can make it through an entire workout just fine now but he gets wuzzy later in the day. I think the main issue here is that this isn't his first concussion. He remember hearing something about this being his 3rd or 4th or something like that. He had several back in his hockey days.

With each concussion things get worse and it takes longer to recover. Had this been his first he'd probably be back on the field already. But considering he's had several in his past I'm sure they'll let him take all the time he needs.

The fact of the matter is that they have been winning without him. If/when he comes back you'll lose either Thome, Kubel or Young in the line up. So there isn't really a huge rush.

the medical field has recently tied concussions to ALS. Not a slam dunk (on the finding),, but most of us just have an interest in seeing our team do well. If my son had a concussion,, I don't care about the $$,, fame, or whatever;; get them healthy for their post-career. I'd rather spend a fishing trip with my son, then have all the money in the world with him gone. Any skull/brain issue is a very serious deal,, and I don't ever expect Justin to be the player he once was,,, too bad,, but some things are bigger than winning.

Cuddy's defense has been pretty GOOD at 1b and rf. He is the best option we have at those 2 positions....cf,3b,and 2b we have better options. Now leftfield we have better options defensively than we are playing for SURE.

As much as I'd like to see Morneau in the lineup, it just isn't worth it, if he isn't clear headed....90 + mph fastballs don't give your much time to react.

agree that the slow handling of his condition is warranted. there are more important aspects in life than baseball games. twins definitely need his bat and glove back in the lineup and hopefully that will occur and sooner rather than later but his health is the main issue right now so agree that he needs to take it slow.

Sled - I agree. As bad as Cuddyer is in RF, he just looks totally lost at 1B. It's really getting old watching him chase balls in the hole that he needs to leave for Hudson. I'll forgive Cuddy his lack of scoop ability, as 1B isn't really his position...but it sure makes me miss Morneau's glove!

soldoncass - go to baseball-reference dot com and look up Cuddyer's defensive metrics. He is among the worst RF in the game defensively, and has been below average at 1B as well.

Now as much as Morneau brings to the lineup, I do agree that they need to be careful with him. Concussions are NOT something to mess with. Wait til he's ready to rock, and bring him back for the stretch run.

He is a pretty darn good 1st baseman, isn't he? Wasn't too many years ago before Morneau became an established star he got beaned and was out cold. I thought at that point his career might've been over as has happened to many other baseball players over the years. Luckily for us he recovered from that and developed into a great player in addition to already being a stand up kind of guy. He's done some very kind things for some people I know. Concussions are as so many of you have stated nothing to mess with and I wish him all the best on making a full recovery before proceeding back to the 1st base bag.

Concussions are very different for each person. Yeah, some football players might get them and return 3 weeks later, but it's not the same for different people. Look at guys like Bouchard, Koskie, etc. Corey still has difficulties post-baseball. I saw an interview where we was encouraging Morny, but I would guess he also cautioned him on making sure he was ready before returning. What good is the $100 mil in the bank if you're miserable after baseball anyway?

He was clearly our best hitter before going down with injury, but I don't think you can rush a concusion recovery. When he's ready he'll play. I guess the good news is he is able to work out. If he makes some progress a medium length rehab assignment and we are back in business.

Cuddyer has been nothing short of outstanding at first base for the Twins defensively AGAIN this year in Morny's absence..I didn't expect Cuddyer to be the best hitter in Baseball with Morny being out like last year. That was/is asking too much.

We need Morneau's bat back more than anything.

Sled - I agree. As bad as Cuddyer is in RF, he just looks totally lost at 1B. It's really getting old watching him chase balls in the hole that he needs to leave for Hudson. I'll forgive Cuddy his lack of scoop ability, as 1B isn't really his position...but it sure makes me miss Morneau's glove!

soldoncass - go to baseball-reference dot com and look up Cuddyer's defensive metrics. He is among the worst RF in the game defensively, and has been below average at 1B as well.

Now as much as Morneau brings to the lineup, I do agree that they need to be careful with him. Concussions are NOT something to mess with. Wait til he's ready to rock, and bring him back for the stretch run.

I went to BB ref .com.......that certainly is NOT something WORTH going by. It is based on someones "perceived" judgements on who "could have caught it" etc. NOT even worth looking at, because it is too easily skewed by faulty judgements. I will go by WHAT I HAVE SEEN while watching games......Cuddy is a really good replacement for Morneau at firstbase, and a very good Right fielder with a rifle arm runners rarely challenge anymore. Cuddy has gotten to more ground balls toward the hole than some of the "highly regarded firstbasemen in the league(Konerko and Cabrera come to mind). If you want to go by that garbage, be my guest....look up Delmon Young's #ers on there if you really want a laugh..... smirk

I will say that the TWIN'S need to upgrade their speed for next year at several spots....Young, Thome, Kubel, have been thrown out way too much lately. One game Thome AND Young both were thrown out....I told my wife the 2 TURTLES were thrown out. blush

"I never realized what a stellar 1b morneau really is till now"

Too busy putting the stinkeye on Cuddyer? Watch the whole game. There's lots of good things happening on this team. Get all wrapped up in hating Cuddyer, Punto, Crain, or whoever and you are not watching baseball. One, it is a team game. One guy falters and someone else picks him up. B. It's a long season. Averages are only averages at the end of the year. A bad week, or even a bad month can get lost in the averages. Averages are ony good as a reference point. They mean nothing during the year. Haven't we taught you anything?

Morneaus job is dangerous thats why he makes a bizillion dollars. He needs to play.

When he's able. You don't risk your best or 2nd best hitter when he's suffered yet another concussion. Are you a Twins fan or just another hating rube?

Yesterday afternoon, on my way to the lake, an ESPN baseball anylist was talking about the Twins. He said they are missing Morneau, but Cuddyer is playing great first base. He thought Cuddyer was better than a lot of starting first basemen in the league. Didn't catch this guys name, got in on the segment after it had begun.