• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Joe Mauer and his home run

DTro

wow, and that is exactly what I did in the original post.

whew

you got me pegged man

Well.......you did call Mauer a HERO. To me a hero is someone like the firefighters who gave up their lives in the twin towers on 9/11, not a guy making 200 million dollars to play a kids game.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He called him a sports hero, and its 184 million to play a game not 200. Sounds like someone is jealous. If you could get 40,000 people to come watch you do your job every day I am sure you would be asking for a pretty big chunk of the $$$ as well.

He called him a sports hero, and its 184 million to play a game not 200. Sounds like someone is jealous. If you could get 40,000 people to come watch you do your job every day I am sure you would be asking for a pretty big chunk of the $$$ as well.

First of all I dont care how much he makes. He's worth every penny for a team that has the luxury to have all other offensive positions covered and can afford to waste that money on a guy that will sit for a month. I just happen to think that the Twins are not in that position.

Second of all sorry, your right it's not 200 million, it's 200 million+. Sorry but he has already played in the major leagues for 6 years and has made 34 million. That will put him at 218 million when his 8 yr contract is done. At that point he will only be 35 yrs old and if he keeps his level of offensive play up he will be able to sign a contract for just as much if not more. So yes it is MORE than 200 million to play a kids game.

3rd, I don't see any athlete as a "hero", sorry, just don't.

BTW, my 10 yr old and I are watching the Twins get pumelled by the Sox and my son just asked me, "why isn't Mauer catching?"

I couldn't answer his question, Twins just had a day off 2 days ago. Is there some other reason I haven't heard about?

Yeah..."waste" money. On a guy who will go down as perhaps the best hitter to ever play catcher - certainly the most valuable offensive player on a terrific offensive team. And a very good defensive catcher. And generates bajillions of dollars in ticket and merchandise sales. And gives back to the community

Wow, Dave. You've got this all figured out. Pat yourself on the back.

I couldn't answer his question, Twins just had a day off 2 days ago. Is there some other reason I haven't heard about?

You're kidding right? This has got to be a bit,right? After all your complaining about Mauer you don't know enough about the Twins to tell your son that Butera catches Pavano.

Bummer that a thread on a mighty Twin gets sidetracked into a urinating match between Grumpy and the other six dwarves.

Mauer is GOOD! Sports hero? You betcha. I particularly think of him in those terms because of how much he contrasts those who are all ego all the time in sports.

BTW, my 10 yr old and I are watching the Twins get pumelled by the Sox and my son just asked me, "why isn't Mauer catching?"

are you kidding dave??? for all the "talking" you do in these baseball forums about the twins, i would surely expect you to know that butera has been pavanos personal catcher this year... and mauer was still hitting in the game at DH. i'm really surprised dave... you talk a big, big game on these forums... then to go ahead and talk badly of mauer towards your kid (simply because you dont know that pavano is pitching or that butera is his catcher) is very surprising to me... i guess i will take everything you say from now on with a grain on salt... i mean, you really can't be still trash talking mauer saying how we shouldnt have resigned him, eh? hahah that is hilarious... in the chase for a 4th batting title and YOU still don't see the value in having this guy on our squad... look at mauers stats! oh, and by the way, mauer is on pace for 142 games thus far this season dave... if he ends with over 140, i'm gonna come searching for my beer from our bet!

First of all I dont care how much he makes. He's worth every penny for a team that has the luxury to have all other offensive positions covered and can afford to waste that money on a guy that will sit for a month. I just happen to think that the Twins are not in that position.

Isnt the pohlad family net worth about $3.5 billion? Steinbrenner's networth about $1.15 billion? The twins can afford anything they want, they just choose not to spend like others.

Quote:

Isnt the pohlad family net worth about $3.5 billion? Steinbrenner's networth about $1.15 billion? The twins can afford anything they want, they just choose not to spend like others.

Family net worth has almost nothing to do with the baseball team's payroll. The MN Twins are a separate business entity, and its payroll is based on revenue, not Pohlad family net worth. When the Twins were stuck in the CrapDome, the revenues were much lower, and so was the payroll. It's not like the Pohlad family is going to raid the Tier 1 capital of a bank they own in order to sign a new third baseman - that's just not how it works.

Now that they're raking in mad coin at Target Field, revenue is MUCH higher (ticket sales, merchandise sales, luxury suites etc), so they spend more. Much more. Twins payroll for 2010 is over $100 million. Fans can't cry "small market!" any more, and it's thanks in large part to the cash generated by Target Field.

The reason the Yankees can spend so much isn't the net worth of the Steinbrenners, its the fact that the Yanks have a massive market, their own TV network etc etc etc. In other words, they have much higher revenue, so they can afford to spend more in salaries.

Yes I know that Butera is Povano's personal catcher.

But doesn't it strike you as at least a bit odd that with everyone here telling me how great a defensive catcher he is and how he handles pitchers so wonderfully, the most seasoned pitcher on the Twins staff would rather have a rookie catch him than the greatest god-like catcher to ever play the game? What's wrong with this picture?

Not only does Mauer play in way less games than any other star but even when he plays in a game he only catches about 3/4 of the games he plays in. Sure he is still in the line up but some one like Kubel or Thome is not in order to make room for him and the .210 batting catcher that replaces him.

Then there is the whole losing your DH if the catcher needs to come out of the game thing to worry about so the Twins almost have to carry 3 catchers on the roster just in case.

He is a great guy and a wonderfull singles and doubles hitter, there is no doubt about that but I'm just saying that I would rather see a position player get this money rather than a catcher. My opinion is, a position player who plays every day and hits .300 with power will help this team more in the long run than a guy who has to sit out all these games and hits .330 with little power.

I would rather see a position player get this money rather than a catcher. My opinion is, a position player who plays every day and hits .300 with power will help this team more in the long run than a guy who has to sit out all these games and hits .330 with little power.

but leads the league in doubles.

It makes no difference how much money the owner of any business is worth. The reason for owning the business is to make MORE money not less. No owners will spend more than a business is bringing in on their payroll. It just doesn't make sense. The payroll is what it is, like it or not.

The Twins will be very hard pressed to come up with a deal for Morneau and if they end up NOT signing Morneau because of the Mauer deal that will be a shame. He will be worth a good deal more than Mauer when his contract is due.

Things Dave doesn't understand (abridged list):

* Positional scarcity (i.e. it's easy to find a slugging 1B; it's hard to find a slugging catcher) Dave derides Mauer as a "singles and doubles hitter." Atlanta's Brian McCann, probably the second-best hitting catcher in the game, has 17 HR so far this year, yet his slugging % is nearly 30 points lower than Mauer's. HR are nice, but are overrated unless you have a guy who hits HR AND does all the other stuff.

Mauer is hitting over .330. The next best catcher? McCann's .270. There are 13 first baseman hitting over .270 and nine of them are over .290. Mauer's OPS (on base % plus slugging %) of .894 leads the majors at his position by 44 points. There are only three catchers with an OPS over .800. There are 14 first basemen with an OPS over .800. Mauer has TWENTY (20!) more doubles than the catcher with the second most.

Do you see where this is going, Dave? Mauer isn't a "nice singles and doubles hitter." He is far and away the dominant hitter at his position. It's not even close. Add in excellent defense and the revenue value he adds to the franchise, and it's pretty easy to argue that he's right there with Pujols as the most valuable player in baseball. Which, y'know, is why he gets paid the way he does.

* Speaking of slugging percentage, Mauer's is almost .500 - nearly 50 points higher than Kubel, who Dave probably thinks of as being more of a "power" guy. As mentioned, his slugging % is much higher than Brian McCann, despite having half the HRs.

* The position of catcher in general (catchers just don't play 160 games a year. They don't. It's ludicrous to think Mauer is worth less money because he plays the most physically demanding position in the game)

It's also worth noting that while Dave is whining about the number of games Mauer plays, Justin Morneau played in FEWER games than Mauer did last year (due to injury) and will play in FEWER games than Mauer this year (unless Mauer goes down). In fact, Mornie will play in fewer than 120 games this year. Yes, Morneau was an ironman for a three year stretch. Why wouldn't he? 1B is the least physically demanding position in the game.

The idea that Morneau will be worth more than Mauer in his next contract year is just silly, and the idea that Mauer is grossly overpaid is even sillier.

If I remember right the Twins only spend a little over half of their revenue, so they could almost double their salary, and still not have money coming from their pockets. Although, that would make the team not profitable, but it isnt taking money out of their pockets! I know how they like to stick to the certain % of the revenue, but I would like to see them raise that amount to fight for a title when they are close to getting one.

Mauer said of the home run: "It feels great. Sorry it took so long."

Who said that there cannot still be sports heroes?

Saying that he's sorry doesn't make him a hero. Holy cow.

It sounds a lot more like he's guilty for robbing the bank when he signed that contract. If so, great, it's good to hear he understands the expectations of him and that he's failed to live up to them. For what he's being paid he needs to be playing a lot more games.

To spin this into some heroic event is mind bottling.

I know I'm stubborn on this topic but I find it laughable to question how the Pohlads have run the Twins. We are one of the best teams in Baseball AGAIN this year and it just boggles my mind that people don't understand it.

I'll take being good and having a chance every year over some pipe dream that a foolish panic move risking the future of team will somehow win you a world series.

I'm happy Tori and Yohan left the Twins to have a chance to win and it wasn't about the 1/4 billion!

Go Mets! LOL

ALL things considered we are the premier professional sports franchise year in and year out.

OK I'm off my soap box now... wink

I'm happy Tori and Yohan left the Twins

Of course you are. Neither one of those guys is "from here". You would have had a panic attack if they wouldn't have signed Mauer so he could leave and win 4 or 5 championships with the Yankees.

4 or 5 championships with New York, eh? I'm not sure what you're basing that on, since they haven't won 4 or 5 titles in the past decade, despite lapping everyone else in payroll.

I'm beginning to think Dave is just trolling...it would be tough for anyone to be serious and be so consistently off base.

4 or 5 championships with New York, eh? I'm not sure what you're basing that on, since they haven't won 4 or 5 titles in the past decade, despite lapping everyone else in payroll.

I'm beginning to think Dave is just trolling...it would be tough for anyone to be serious and be so consistently off base.

If Mauer isn't good enough to get the Yankees over the hump to win championships, how in the world will he do it here?

I thought your home town boy was the best ever?