• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Scott M

Shrimp Imitation Jigs

Looking for your best shrimp imitation jigs. I'm heading to some Dakota Glacial lakes to try for big bluegill this winter.

I'm thinking:

* Weighted or bead head shrimp flies

* Custom Jigs and Spins Shrimpo

* Northland Bro's Bug Collection Scud Bug

Others?

Consider looking into scud flies. These are freshwater shrimp imitations. I use them while ice fishing when the bite gets a little tougher.

You'll have to look for weighted ones, or use a sinker to get them down.

I've had good luck out in that country with the Northland Scud Bugs in brown, but I was using them for large Perch. I baited them with one waxie, pinched it to get the juices leaking out and fished about 4to6 inches off the bottom. On a spring bobber, I would quiver it a few times and then let it set. They almost always hit just when the movement stopped. Never tried them on the Bluegills.

I have fished flies alot as droppers and the past 4-5 years alot of plastics...

My favorite is a size 10-16 mayfly or shrimp/scud pattern. I'll rig it in-line or on a very short 1/4 to 1/2inch dropper usually 15-18 inches above a main jig.

The real short dropper allows the fly to be sucked in plus it give it a natural floating action. Too long of a dropper and you cant detect hits, especially "up" takes.

I'll also fish flies or plastics below a jig. They can be deadly 1 1/2 to 2 inches below a spoon like a hali or a little atom knacker. Also, they can be fished below other jigs like a bro bug with the dropper attached between the line tie and the eyes on the jig.

Lots of plastic options out there but my favorite are Maki-Plastics. They have a ton of diff options but the origional "maki" is my go to. I like em rigged on horizontal 1/32 to 1/64 jig or on a verticle jig like a doodle bug, outdoor pro series teardrop or similar spoon/jig with a single solid hook. I 'll rig the bait so it follows the bend of the hook and sticks out away from the verticle jig.

They also have a deadly scud pattern...

p.s. I have seen times where the extra bait just seems to distract them with a dropper system...

Gapen's makes a freshwater shrimp jig that has been deadly for spring panfish. I've never had much luck with a feather jig in the winter though.

Had good luck with the scud bug for eyes and pannies. Only wish they made them in a smaller size for the smaller fish.