• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shrimp Imitation Jigs

Scott M

Looking for your best shrimp imitation jigs. I'm heading to some Dakota Glacial lakes to try for big bluegill this winter.

I'm thinking:

* Weighted or bead head shrimp flies

* Custom Jigs and Spins Shrimpo

* Northland Bro's Bug Collection Scud Bug

Others?

Consider looking into scud flies. These are freshwater shrimp imitations. I use them while ice fishing when the bite gets a little tougher.

You'll have to look for weighted ones, or use a sinker to get them down.

I've had good luck out in that country with the Northland Scud Bugs in brown, but I was using them for large Perch. I baited them with one waxie, pinched it to get the juices leaking out and fished about 4to6 inches off the bottom. On a spring bobber, I would quiver it a few times and then let it set. They almost always hit just when the movement stopped. Never tried them on the Bluegills.

I have fished flies alot as droppers and the past 4-5 years alot of plastics...

My favorite is a size 10-16 mayfly or shrimp/scud pattern. I'll rig it in-line or on a very short 1/4 to 1/2inch dropper usually 15-18 inches above a main jig.

The real short dropper allows the fly to be sucked in plus it give it a natural floating action. Too long of a dropper and you cant detect hits, especially "up" takes.

I'll also fish flies or plastics below a jig. They can be deadly 1 1/2 to 2 inches below a spoon like a hali or a little atom knacker. Also, they can be fished below other jigs like a bro bug with the dropper attached between the line tie and the eyes on the jig.

Lots of plastic options out there but my favorite are Maki-Plastics. They have a ton of diff options but the origional "maki" is my go to. I like em rigged on horizontal 1/32 to 1/64 jig or on a verticle jig like a doodle bug, outdoor pro series teardrop or similar spoon/jig with a single solid hook. I 'll rig the bait so it follows the bend of the hook and sticks out away from the verticle jig.

They also have a deadly scud pattern...

p.s. I have seen times where the extra bait just seems to distract them with a dropper system...