• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need advice on neighbor problem

Not sure where to put this post so Ill just put it here and see if you guys can give me some advice. So our neighbor to our hunting lands dogs have been running around on our land off and on for about the last 3 years. Year 1 we they were spotted by me while out rifle hunting and by the neighbor a few weeks earlier chasing deer. After that we had them on camera and saw them at least 10 different times on our land but not chasing those times.

Year 2 was the worst as far as them being on out land about twice a week that we saw and we are not out there that much so Im guessing it was a daily thing for them. We did not witness them chasing deer that year but had them on camera a few times again.

This year is about the same as the last, we have spotted them a few times running around our woods and up in the yard of my grandparents house which is on the edge of the land. We have told the guy about it almost every time we see them and have called the dnr at least 5 or 6 times in the past 3 years and she has went out and talked to them a few times about it and the guy cant seem to get it through his head that this is affecting out hunting.

Now tonight my dad calls me and tells me he went and talked to the neighbor again because they were on our land again today and they got into this time, at the end of the argument the neighbor said something like "if you want to start a war we can start a war" now I dont know what that means exactly but the guy is really starting to be a [PoorWordUsage] about it.

The dnr said we can get the sheriff involved if we want and they will come and get rid of the dogs but the old man doesnt want to go that route being a dog lover. Im not sure what to do now the guy obviously isnt going to try and stop them from running around. Our hunting has seems like its suffered since these dogs have starting running around mainly I think because the woods they walk through used to be our main woods where deer would bed on our property, and I just dont think deer bed there anymore if the dogs are constantly harrassing them. And who knows if they have actually caught any deer.

Sorry this is kinda long but Im really fed up with this especially since Im on the road all the time for work and there isnt much I can do about it, I just needed to vent and see what you guys would do in this situation. I think its about time to get the sheriff out there to get rid of them but I really dont want to have a [PoorWordUsage] off neighbor, but i dont know what my other options are. I know theres a certain time of year you can shoot them too if there on your land but I really dont want to go that route either. Thanks for any input on this.

I have no time for deer chasing dogs. When its legal shoot them. I may get jumped for that, but it sounds like you have tried to reason with the guy. Not sure what the Sheriffs dept could do, although i know ours has shot dogs in the past.

This neighbor is not going to change. Do what you have to in order to enjoy your land. Nothing will change the behavior / attitude of this guy so let the law handle him. I would send him a certified letter telling him you do not want trouble but you fully intend to maintain control of your property. Polite but assertive. Keep copies of all correspondence. From now on put everything in writing.

I would have no problem getting rid of the dogs on my own, after the first talk with the neigbor and him showing he really doensn't care..that's enough for me. I think it was nice you talked to him in the first place. I like dogs but not once they starting chasing deer. I hope it all works out for you.

Call the sherrif. If it happens enough the sherriff will get sick of it and either fine the guy to where he obeys or they will take them. If you shoot the dogs make darn sure they were chasing deer and you werent the only one to witness it as well as document all police/dnr contact about the dogs. We have tame deer up norht and a neighbors dog kept chasing them and another neighbor that is an angry old timer shot the dog and I dont know what ended up happening but it was a mess so cover you're rear.

Document all contact with the sherrif, DNR and the neighbor. That is about all you can do. If you catch the dogs chasing deer, video tape it and show it to the authorities.

Any further referreneces to taking the dogs life or trapping it will not be tolerated

I would leave out the issue of "deer chasing dogs" to your neighbor.

The fact is they have been documented on a trail camera as trespassing

and not in control of the owner.

Since the owner denied co-operation I would go to the sherrif.

After all, the law allows retrieval of game on private property unless you are denied permission. Hence forth...You have denied access on your property to your neighbor and his dogs, not because of hunting, but because of tresspassing.

Get the sheriff involved at this point to obtain legal documentation, only because common ground and communication is unaccepted by your neighbor.

Don't let the backlash come back on you. ...

I used to mow my parents lawn, the next door property was a rental. The people that moved in had 2 rottwielers that would charge the fence, and just about jump over to attack me. So I went to the neighbor and they just told me to never knock on their door again.

So next time I did something about it and the cops came after me.

Do yourself a favor and let the law do it's job. The deer will always be there next time.

good luck

Your post really doesn't say why the neighbor thinks its ok to let his dogs run??

I've had problems with my neighbor dogs running thru my property but I was determined that I was NOT going to shoot them, I need to live next to him. He was a nice enough guy, he just had that 'dogs in the country should be allowed to run free mentality'. When I got the dogs on my trail camera, I printed the picture and put it into his mailbox, he called, was apologetic, promised to keep them tied up. You know how that went.... But eventually the problem took care of itself, one dog didn't come home and the second one was taken to the pound.

Now the other neighbor's dogs are traipsing thru my property. They're kennel dogs, never get out, so when someone does let them out, they take off. (Why some people own dogs, then just keep them locked up/tied up, I'll never know!!!!) He's promised to get his electric underground fence going but, can't figure it out. Hopefully the trail camera picture of his dogs that I put in his mailbox yesterday will prompt him to get it done.

The problem with these country dogs really amps up when they get the second dog, then they start running. One dog alone will generally stay home unless hes out searching for some nooky.

Call the sheriff, and keep calling the sheriff, eventually he'll get tired of it and do something. Also the local CO, hopefully he'll catch them running deer and put a permanent end to it.

I copied the following out of the MN DNR regulations Handbook. Knowing how the law reads makes me awful careful to keep an eye on my dogs. Maybe letting your neighbor know the law would help him make the right decision.

Dogs Pursuing Big Game

No persons may allow their dog to chase or kill big game.

Between January 1 and July 14, a dog that is observed wounding,

killing, or pursuing in a way that endangers big game may be killed by

any person. A peace officer or conservation officer may kill a dog that

endangers big game at any time of the year. The officer or person is not

liable for damages for killing the dog.

Get the Sheriff involved. It also might be helpful to carry a tape recorder if you talk to the neighbor again. Any talk of "war" might be considered a terroristic threat or you have proof he does not care if his dogs are on your land. It sounds like you have made every effort to be nice and get the guy to cooperate but he refuses, time to play hard ball.

Place a sign on your land that reads something similar to the following and send a copy of it to your neighbor certified mail:

Quote:
"NOTICE TO ALL TRESPASSERS: Trespassing of individuals, minor children, pets, farm animals, and _________ (insert whatever you care to) onto this property IS SPECIFICALLY PERMITTED SUBJECT TO A FEE OF $1,000.00 per person, minor child, pet, farm animal, or item of personal property, per day.

By entering this land, or by permitting your minor children, pets, farm animals, or other object of personal property to enter this land, YOU SPECIFICALLY ACCEPT, AGREE AND HEREBY CONTRACT, to pay to the landowner hereof $1,000.00 per trespasser, per day of trespass. Further, by trespassing or permitting your minor children, pets, farm animals, or other object of personal property to trespass onto this land, you specifically agree to waive all liabiility of any kind against the landowner while present thereon.

Furthermore, by accepting this agreement and agreeing to pay $1,000.00 per trespass, you have hereby agreed to pay trespass fees within 10 days of the trespass or notice of the trespass. Should payment be withheld, you hereby agree to waive all defenses at law and agree to submit to an Admission of Judgment for the amount of the fees assessed hereunder. Should a Judgment be entered as a result of this agreement, you hereby agree to waive all homestead rights and exemptions upon an execution seeking satisfaction of any Judgment as a result of this agreement."

Then the next time you catch his dogs on your land, send him a bill and a copy of this notice again certified mail. When he doesn't pay, sue him and get a judgment. When he doesn't pay the judgment, foreclose on his property and buy it at the Sheriff's Sale. Problem solved. grin

I can guarantee you this as I have been fighting this for some time. The sheriff will do nothing about it. He will not get rid of the dogs. He will send a deputy over to talk to the neighbor but unless the township your land is in has an ordinance against free ranging dogs nothing can be done legally.

The state does not have a leash law. IT SHOULD. Check your local township ordinance.

I suggest you start trapping coyotes and when you catch your neighbors dog, call the sheriff 1st and advise him to contact your neighbor to have the dog removed from the trap. You will face a possible lawsuit no matter what you do.

I have talked to my CO and he suggested I shoot them if I see them chasing deer.

Good luck and if you get this figured out let me know.

As was mentioned above, unless there is an ordinance that they are violating it is hard for the Sheriffs dept to do anything about.

But that brings up an important point. If you want to change that, you just need to take it to your township board and see if they have the desire to pass an ordinance. I know it isn't always the first thing we think of but if it is the township board that has jurisdiction, that would be the best place to start. Once an ordinance is passed then you will have to ability to contact the sheriffs dept and they will have the ability to act.

inthenorthwoods, I heard about someone doing this. Are you joking with this? Sounds good.

Only partially. While what I said was thrown out there with no background reseasrch into its legal merit, and therefore would likely have minimal weight in a legal proceeding - or be disregarded outright - it would certainly get the message accrossed to the neighbor when you sent him the frist bill and told him you were going to sue.

Its certainly a more creative and intriguing avenue to take than "getting the sheriff involved" or the "twiddle your thumbs", err, I mean, "talk with your neighbor and hope he all of the sudden has a revelation and becomes reasonable," responses.

Thanks for the advice guys. My dad called one of the other neighbors last night that owns land next to ours and he was also the other one that saw the dogs chasing a few years ago, and he told him what was going on. He said he knows its a problem and said that these dogs have been seen by other people in the areas land up to a 1/2 mile away. Im thinking maybe if we can get a few other people to knock on his door and tell him enough is enough he will finally do something about it because so far its really just been us that have been talking to the guy about it.

Other than that if it keeps happening I think Im going to have to call the sheriff or call the DNR again, because like you said theres not a whole lot I can do legally. I know In was planning on trying to trap coyotes this winter for the first time and I know how thats going to end up, maybe if I give him a warning that Im going to start trapping he will finally find a way to keep his dogs on his own land.

I know In was planning on trying to trap coyotes this winter for the first time and I know how thats going to end up, maybe if I give him a warning that Im going to start trapping he will finally find a way to keep his dogs on his own land.

I would just set the traps without the warning, when you get one of the dogs in a trap, call him to come over and get it. When he complains, just tell him that HIS dogs were trespassing, that you're going to trap on YOUR land, that if he cared about HIS dogs he'd keep them locked up. Be a broken record, keep telling him that HIS dogs were trespassing. And you may want to mention next time you might not call him when the dog gets caught in the trap...

You may want to get a professional trapper to help you because you really need to catch one of those dogs to let him know that you're serious. Eliminating them is not the answer because give-a-way dogs are all over, he sounds like the type that would just get more.

Good luck!!

Dogs are a bad deal all the way around. They run out your deer and small game, harass everything in the woods and make sure from the inceessant marking nothing comes in but a pack of wolves. (That would take care of the dogs in short order) If they are chasing deer and trespassing get the warden on them/him. If the warden won't act call the wardens super. Deer and dogs are a big enough issue they print it in the reg book and I think that falls right under what a warden is susposed to handle. This mess would have made me crazy mad and it would have been handled with a firm hand at the first incedent. A post above said we can't mention x'ing the dogs out but around here the left over parts would have been returned to him once he started popping of about wanting a war instead of adressing the issue.

Sorry to hear your land has been soiled by uncontrolled K-9s, makes me mad just thinking about it. Dogs out of control really get under my skin.