• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm in the market for a new slug gun for this fall. I currently use my dads Winchester 1300, but Its time I bought my own. I'm leaning towards open sights just because I hunt some woods, but i guess a good deal on a scope could persuade me otherwise. Just wondering what everyone else use's or what you would recommend buying, looking to spend around $500.

Thanks

I have a tried and true Rem. 870. I bought an aftermarket thumbhole stock but Rem. makes them now with a thumbhole stock that is a lot lighter which would come in handy when walking a lot for upland game. Give a thumbhole stock a look-see, I love them.....

Williams gun sights makes a peep sight set for the 870 that I will be installing later this fall once things settle down.

I've found that I can shoot better in the woods with a low powered scope than with iron sights. In the uncertain light and shadows you can see the crosshairs better than an open sight. With some practice, scopes can also be faster. I had a match with my scoped slug gun against irons for the fastest three hits. He got his shots off faster but they were all misses and mine were all hits. I think hitting is what its all about.

I have to agree that an 870 is a great option, but get the cantilevered scope mount barrel. I have a 1&1/2 to 4&1/2 powered scope and most of the time its on the low setting.

yep, in that price range, an 870 would be the ticket. Don't rule out the winchester 1300, I have seen some nice ones with slug barrels on the used rack anywhere from 200 to 300 dollars. I have seen some synthetic stock beretta AL390's on the used rack with slug barrels for around 500 and change. If you could pick up one of those for that price, you would be set. They are awesome guns, I own two.

The 870 with the cantilever is a good gun. I agree that a properly mounted low power scope is way better than iron sights. Bushnell has a turkey/brush scope that you can pick up for about a hundred bucks. (1.75x4). Not bad for the money and it is built to handle the recoil of a shotgun. Leupold makes a good 2x7 shotgun scope for about $200. If your gun does not come with one of the new gel recoil pads, I would invest in one of the aftermarket ones like limbsaver.

Any of the big name pumps, fitted with a fully-rifled, cantilever scope-based barrel will do fine. Bet you could find one for your 1300, then use the money you save to get a good 1.5-5 or so variable scope. Beats open sights by a mile in just about any situation.

I have a Mossberg 500 20gauge combo cantaleivered rifle barrel/bird barrel.

I shoot Hornady SST thru it and is super accurate.

The combo comes with a 4x shotgun scope, but I put my Simmons on there and I can put in in a 4" group at 100 yards!

The last deer I shot with it fell over right in it's tracks and had a 3" hole from one side to the other, and that was at 50 yards.

I think I paid around $250.00 for it three years ago.

Good deal for the money! 2c

I've got a Mossy 695 that I just started hunting with last fall. Man does that pack a wallop! Ported and Parkerized barrel, gray composite stock. I've been able to get 3 inch groups at 100 yards so far. I'd get tighter ones, I believe, if it weren't for a bit of flinching at the kick. gringrin

I've got a Leupold 3-9x Rifleman shotgun/muzzy scope on it, and I do love that scope. I'm shooting 2 3/4 inch 12 gage Federal Barnes Expanders sabot slugs in 3/4 oz loads.

You can find those 695s used now and then. Mossberg no longer makes them. I got mine virtually unused for $150.

Steve, I thought you hunted in the rifle zone. Well, in the north woods, a slug should do a pretty good job,too. I have three slug guns (down from four). My go-to gun is an Ithaca Deerslayer Deluxe in 12 gauge, three inch. A couple of times, I've shot one hole groups off a rest at 75-80 yards. In front of witnesses. It must be the gun because I'm not that good. Its a beautiful gun but I paid through the nose for it. My boys are going to fight like heck over that one when I die.

I've got a Mossy 695 that I just started hunting with last fall. Man does that pack a wallop! Ported and Parkerized barrel, gray composite stock. I've been able to get 3 inch groups at 100 yards so far. I'd get tighter ones, I believe, if it weren't for a bit of flinching at the kick. gringrin

I've got a Leupold 3-9x Rifleman shotgun/muzzy scope on it, and I do love that scope. I'm shooting 2 3/4 inch 12 gage Federal Barnes Expanders sabot slugs in 3/4 oz loads.

See if you can find a caldwell lead sled one of the best items i have ever bought.

See if you can find a caldwell lead sled one of the best items i have ever bought.

Yeah, I was close to pulling the trigger on one a few months ago. A black-and-blue shoulder later I wish I had. frown

In the heat of the hunt, I feel no kick and feel no pain. On the range . . . .

Anybody within shouting distance got one I can rent or borrow? I'd like to see what the gun is actually capable of regarding precision. smile