• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rathbun Reservoir Fishing Reports

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

The current lake level is 923.79 feet with normal pool being 904 feet. The water temperature is ranging in the lower 80s. Boat ramps are open at Honey Creek State Park and the high water ramp at Buck Creek. Use caution when boating. Channel Catfish - Fair: Channel catfish are biting on cut bait and dead chubs. Walleye - Fair: Try trolling or drifting night crawler rigs along underwater reefs and islands. Underwater points have also been producing some walleyes. Crankbaits are also a good bait to use this time of year. Jigging spoons have also been productive. Please be wary of tagged walleyes and if these fish are harvested please call the hatchery with the tag number.

The current lake level is 922.56 feet with normal pool being 904 feet. The water temperature is ranging in the lower 80s. Boat ramps are open at Honey Creek State Park and the high water ramp at Buck Creek. Use caution when boating. Channel Catfish - Fair: Channel catfish are biting on cut bait and dead chubs. Crappie - Slow: Try trolling crankbaits. Try different depths until you find active fish. With the higher pool levels the fish may be in different depths when compared to prior years. Walleye - Fair: Try trolling or drifting night crawler rigs along underwater reefs and islands. Underwater points have also been producing some walleyes. Crankbaits are also a good bait to use this time of year. Jigging spoons have also been productive.

The current lake level is 922.71 feet with normal pool being 904 feet. The water temperature is ranging in the lower 80s. Boat ramps are open at Honey Creek State Park and the high water ramp at Buck Creek. Use caution when boating. Channel Catfish - Fair: Channel catfish are biting on cut bait and dead chubs. Crappie - Slow: Try trolling crankbaits. Try different depths until you find active fish. With the higher pool levels the fish may be in different depths when compared to prior years. Walleye - Fair: Try trolling or drifting night crawler rigs along underwater reefs and islands. Jigging spoons have also been productive. Jig and minnow combinations can also be a good choice this time of year.

The current lake level is 920.89 feet with normal pool being 904 feet. The water temperature is ranging in the lower 80s. Boat ramps are open at Honey Creek State Park and the high water ramp at Buck Creek. Use caution when boating. Channel Catfish - Fair: Channel catfish are biting on cut bait and dead chubs. Crappie - Slow: Try trolling crankbaits. Try different depths until you find active fish. With the higher pool levels the fish may be in different depths when compared to prior years. Walleye - Fair: Try trolling or drifting night crawler rigs along underwater reefs and islands. Jigging spoons have also been productive. Crankbaits are also a good choice this time of year. Try using baits that mimic gizzard shad. Please be wary of tagged walleyes and if these fish are harvested please call the hatchery with the tag number.

The current lake level is 914.39 feet with normal pool being 904 feet. The water temperature is ranging in the mid 70s. Boat ramps are open at Honey Creek State Park, Bridgeview, South Fork and Buck Creek. Channel Catfish - Fair: Channel catfish are biting on stink bait and cut bait. Crappie - Slow: Try trolling crankbaits. Try different depths until you find active fish. With the higher pool levels the fish may be in different depths when compared to prior years. Walleye - Fair: Jigging spoons have been productive. Find areas with drop-offs and ledges. Crankbaits are also a good choice this time of year. Try using baits that mimic gizzard shad.

The current lake level is 907.02 feet with normal pool being 904 feet. The water temperature is ranging in the mid 50s. Boat ramps are open at Honey Creek State Park, Bridgeview, South Fork, Buck Creek, and Island View. Crappie - Slow: Fish are starting to move shallow so try areas with submerged trees or other structure. Rocky shorelines have also been producing some fish. Using small jigs has been productive. Walleye - Slow: Try using baits that mimic gizzard shad. Jig and minnows can also be good this time of year. Please be wary of tagged walleyes and if these fish are harvested please call the hatchery with the tag number.

The lake level is at 902.60 with 904.0 being normal pool. The main lake is still open and a few of the bays are starting to ice over but there is not enough ice to support anglers.

The lake level is at 902.23 feet with 904.0 feet being normal pool. The main lake has frozen over. Ice thickness reports are as follows: Island View Dedication site boat ramp-6 inches, Glenwood ramp-7.5 inches, and Atwell's Landing-8.5 inches. Use caution because ice thickness has been variable. Crappie - Slow: Use teardrops jigs tipped with a wax worm or a minnow. Find areas with submerged structure and fish over them.

Anyone fished Rathbun lately? Im heading down there for a camping trip with my cousins and we would like to do a little casual fishing. Interested in catfish, walleye, and crappie. None of us have ever fished/boated/or camped. Any ifo pertaining to any of those things would be greatly aprreciated! and if you ever come up my way ill try to point you in the right direction!

Here is the most recent IDNR fishing report for Rathbun--note that the reservoir water height is sixteen feet above normal. That probably means those crappie are coming in flooded brush and timber.

The current lake level is 920.19 with normal pool being 904. The water temperature is 62 degrees. Don't forget Lake Rathbun contains zebra mussels so make sure to clean, drain, and dry boats before transporting to another water body. Spray boats and trailers with high pressure hot water (above 104 degrees) or let them dry for at least 10 days (5 days in the sun).

Crappie - Fair: Anglers have been catching crappies using jigs or jigs and minnows in 2-4 feet of water. Sorting is required for larger fish.

Other general reports for Iowa are available here: http://www.iowadnr.gov/idnr/Fishing/FishingReports.aspx

Wish I had a good repirt to share, but it was tough fishing! The lake was chocolate milk! I tried anything and everything for every species everywhere around the lake with 3 boats! Lots of little crappie, one eater. One cigar walleye was caught. A few channel cats, biggest around 2lbs. One asian carp and a few bullhead. Water temps around 66 degrees.

Wish I had a good repirt to share, but it was tough fishing! The lake was chocolate milk! I tried anything and everything for every species everywhere around the lake with 3 boats! Lots of little crappie, one eater. One cigar walleye was caught. A few channel cats, biggest around 2lbs. One asian carp and a few bullhead. Water temps around 66 degrees.

That stinks.

I don't know Rathbun well, but I do know it can be a great fishery for crappie and channel cat.

The high water is messing things on all four flood control reservoirs in Iowa this year, but if you're locked in to a trip like this ahead of time there isn't much you can do. At least you caught some fish.

That stinks.

I don't know Rathbun well, but I do know it can be a great fishery for crappie and channel cat.

The high water is messing things on all four flood control reservoirs in Iowa this year, but if you're locked in to a trip like this ahead of time there isn't much you can do. At least you caught some fish.

It was tough! We do a yearly trip with all the boys on my dads side. Last year we fished Waconda in Kansas, this year Rathbun, but I think next year were headed to South Dakota. Rathbun worked well because its between me in The twin cities, and the other 10 sll live in the Omaha area. Only a few of us really care about the fishing...the rest drink beer and talk. We pull the tube around and play polish frisbee so in that sense every trip is a success! Were thinking Roy lake for next year, or maybe Gavins point.