• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Twins get Matt Capps for Ramos

SledNeck

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as it is a bummer watching Capps blow the save last night, he didn't implode and we got out of it. Now, after watching Rauch come in, I'm VERY, VERY thankful they got Capps.... Jon looks out of gas to me. But, as a TEAM they got er done!!! Thank you Mr. Thome.

Quote:
Nationals call up 22-year-old catching prospect Wilson Ramos

Aaron Gleeman Aug. 18, 2010, 2:18 PM ET

10 comments

Wilson Ramos has hit .317/.349/.483 in 15 games at Triple-A since going from Minnesota to Washington in last month's trade for Matt Capps, and now the Nationals have called up the 22-year-old catcher while Wil Nieves is away from the team to be with his pregnant wife.

Ramos was all but guaranteed to get a September call-up, so this will merely give him a little more opportunity to impress with an eye toward potentially making the Opening Day roster next season. Ivan Rodriguez is under contract for $3 million in 2011, but he's 38 years old and has hit just .236/.255/.292 with one homer over the past 50 games.

Meanwhile, Capps blew a one-run lead last night before Jim Thome's walk-off homer and is 4-for-6 converting saves since the trade.

Actually he's blown 1 save....the other is on a certain outfielder.

Capps is no Joe Nathan who was auto-matic for years but he's much better than Rauchs who isn't even a closer to begin with. Ramos will not be missed in the least.

Great trade!

I agree, GOOD trade. Ramos may have never played for us.....I wonder if they weren't just checking out Butera, before including Ramos in a deal. Capps just needs to hit the corners more in A.L. He seems to have good control.....just recalibrate the aim about 6 inches farther outside.......

It was a bad trade, no doubt, but the Twins were in a bad spot because they clearly needed help at the back end of the bullpen. It sucks to give up a blue-chip prospect in exchange for a mediocre reliever, but when you have a legit shot at a title, I guess you do what it takes to address areas of weakness.

If Capps somehow manages to develop a consistent second pitch, I think he can be effective. But right now he can't consistently throw a passable slider, and hitters can sit on his flat fastball - thus the high number of hard-hit balls.

Bad long-term move, but if the Twins bring home a title I don't think anyone will care smile

It was a bad trade, no doubt, but the Twins were in a bad spot because they clearly needed help at the back end of the bullpen. It sucks to give up a blue-chip prospect in exchange for a mediocre reliever, but when you have a legit shot at a title, I guess you do what it takes to address areas of weakness.

If Capps somehow manages to develop a consistent second pitch, I think he can be effective. But right now he can't consistently throw a passable slider, and hitters can sit on his flat fastball - thus the high number of hard-hit balls.

Bad long-term move, but if the Twins bring home a title I don't think anyone will care smile

The bottom line is we gave up a PROSPECT for a player who can help us and has helped us and will help us RIGHT NOW. I don't think folks would have as much issue if it wasn't reported that we declined to give Ramos up for Cliff Lee. We have NO IDEA what was asked for, offered etc, but I guarantee that Ramos was not the sticking point. Capps has a good arm and some nice get up on the fast ball. Andy will work with him to get him to hit corners and develop the second pitch. Capps will be fine..... we are all just spoiled from watching Nathan for the last umpteen years.

Im no twins expert and therefore I have a question: Rauch was 20 for 24 in save opportunities before we got Capps. What would Joe Nathan have been? 21? 22? Not much of a difference. Right? And one of those blown saves, the twins came back and won, so Rauch got the win. I dont expect Rauch to pitch well now, because he's prolly [PoorWordUsage] he got replaced. And Capps has blown 2 already right? I understand the theory that Rauch should have the 8th and Capps the 9th, and the twins should dominate, but I still dont understand whay Rauch needed to be replaced. I guess the twins just had to make a move and strenghten something so they chose the bullpen. What happens next year when we have Rauch, Capps, and Nathan?? Are they all under contract or not? I dont know......

What happens next year when we have Rauch, Capps, and Nathan?? Are they all under contract or not? I dont know......

Nathan is signed for next year, ($11.25M) with a club option for $12.5M or a $2M buyout for 2012.

Capps is arbitration elegible for 2011 and 2012 a free agent.

Rauch is a free agent next year.

I think parting with Ramos for Capps had a lot to do with next year as well since Nathan will be coming off Tommy John surgery and Capps is an insurance policy if Nathan doesn't come back at the same level or at all.

I also thought Rauch was doing a good job, and shouldnt have been replaced, but I am wondering if it wasnt because of Rauch, he did say he would close until Nathan came back, but he didnt want to be a closer. So I think we got Capps to be a closer, and to have Rauch back in his spot he wanted to be in.

Went from an easy coast to victory to a nail biter in a hurry last night. Can't find the corners in key situations. It's either right down the pipe or way out of the zone.

Hope he gets it together soon, we'll need him.