• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Bird

B-bear

Bills cupping their wings as they swing over the decoys. The rushing sound makes the guy eating his sandwich jump and drop same in the mud - the normally insatiable lab is so taken with the sound that he ignores the sandwich - and time seems suspended momentarily as the flock comes clearly into view.
Tweety birds are OK, but I'll take the bills.

Boat fishing: Loon (evening, rain, fog)

Shore fishing: Red Wing Blackbird/Yellow Headed Blackbird Tie (cool, sunny spring day, bass fishing)

Sharptail grouse hunting: Meadowlark (dewy, calm morning on fencepost or haybale at sunrise)

Early evening relaxing back at camp: Mourning Dove (leaves with the whistling wings)

Any other time: Chickadee--the freindliest, liveliest, toughest little bird of our north woods. The Chickadee is my favorite bird of all.

Thanks for bringing up this thread..... smile.gif

My pleasure,
Nobody's else's fav is the Purple Finch? I'm suprised. They aren't much to look at but man can they sing. Each one seems to have their own song too-- they're similar but they seem to each have their own little variation.

EBass,
Actually I have had the dis-pleasure of seeing a Bald Eagle snatch a baby loon off the back of a mamma (papa?) loon on Leech. I never want to see or hear that again. The screech was the most nasty thing I have ever heard. It gives me the willy's just thinkin' about it.

A few years ago, my nephew and I were canoeing on Little Man Trap early in the morning. A pair of Loons were out there, the first day they had their two young ones on the water. The male Loon called and I answered. I cup my hands as an air chamber as a sort of whistle. I tried to duplicate his call, but I must have goofed. He started squalling and darn near climbed into the caonoe with us. I must have said something bad about his mate in Loon talk. I've always had problems with foreign languages.

My all-time, hands-down favorite is the Robin! For me there's no other. The call of the Robin tells me Spring is near, and summer is soon to follow. I love hearing their chirps on a summer evening (my favorite season and my favorite time of day).

My yard is always occupied by house finches and yes, they do have wonderful songs. And I have to agree that the call of a loon says "up North at the Lake"... and puts a smile on my face. smile.gif

I like birds as well. I like all the beautiful sounds they make and the colorations. Just the other day I was on the deck and there was a blue Jay, Cardinal, Finch, and some chic-a-dee's at the bird feeder. It was great seeing the blue, yellow, and red of the birds all mixed in. I also have had a mallard and female companion take root to the back yard. I love seeing them out in the back yard. The problem is my lab can't help the desire to chase them up, which they don't seem to mind as they return each day.