• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Rick

HSO INSIDERS - Introductions

Hi all, my name is Scott. I grew up in Southeast Minneapolis over by the U of M. I spent a majority of my weekends, Holidays and summers at one of the cabins owned by my grandparents in Aitkin and the other in Lincoln MN. When I wasn’t up north being the scourge of small woodland creatures with my BB gun or out in the boat chasing eyes, my crew and I were jumping the fence at Bierman Field at the U for a pickup game of baseball or commandeering the Pole vaulting mats to make an awesome WWF wrestling ring. Through the loss of relatives I now find myself hunting primarily deer at my dads place in Plum City WI and with a friend hunting ducks up near Ashby Mn. I have a 15 month old son and have another child on the way due at the end of March. I hit the road immediately after high school joining the Air Force as Military Police where I stayed for 10 years. In that time I did 2 tours in Grand Forks a year on Sheyma Island Alaska (end of the Aleutian Islands, think small 2 miles by 4) from there on to Greece, then Guam and ended my time in Missouri with short stints to the Middle East mixed in for fun (Kuwait and Saudi). I got out in 1998 and found myself back in after Sept 11 for a 6 year stint in the reserves and working for the Department of Defense as a police Sgt. I have been a Sgt with the Department of Veterans Affairs in Minneapolis since 2005.

Hi, my name is Tim. Spelt S-T-E-V-E. Yes, Steve. But it's Tim. Remember that.

Jack Peterson is my name.

I'm currently like 120, I mean 19 years old, and I love to fish.

I work at Upsala Motors in Upsala, Minnesota. Family owned and operated. In my spare time, which is most of my time, I am usually fishing. My favorite type of fishing is walleye fishing, but I'm way better at catching panfish on hardwater. I've been fishing religiously for the past few years, and have been to many lakes in Central Minnesota.

I also like to pheasant hunt, and shoot the occasional deer

I'm a Christian, so if anybody else enjoys a good fishing buddy hit me up on the text message or the IM...ha. I'm always interested in hearing people's opinions or helping with struggles. I fish because I love it, and I'm the same no matter who I fish with! If anyone wants to go fishing and talk about God, 320-232-0887.

Hope to get more involved on this forum in the future.

Thanks, Jack.

Hi , my name is Patrick. I grew up in Winona Minnesota. I spent 48 years there fishing the Mississippi River. Moved to Barnes Wisconsin in 2003 . I fish Lake Superior a lot, and also the inland Lakes. Retired last year.

Hey Pat, I grew up in Winona (1987-1993) and I lived on the Mississippi when I lived there! Such a beautiful town! You might happen to know my uncle, Jerry Miller?

Hi Jake. Nice to meet you. I remember a Jerry Miller. I believe he owned Miller Scrap, and was Mayor for awhile?? If you spent much time on the river, we had to cross paths. I think I fished every Wingdam from Reeds Landing to Prarie Du Chein. I fished a lot of tournaments on the River . You fish the Duluth area?

Patrick-yes my uncle is the mayor! He has been the major of Winona for like 12 years. haha. i was just name dropping to see if you might know him by chance. small world. i only lived on the mississippi river until i was 5, so i didnt fish it all back then... however, i have fished it a TON in the last 5 years, basically ever since i moved down to the metro for college in 2005. ever since, i have been a river rat, mostly on pool 2, but i do head down towards pool 4 and south about 3-4 times a year, usually in the early spring before the MN walleye season opens.

As for the Duluth area, that is more my home turf than anywhere in the state, as I have bounced around quite a bit. I lived til I was 5 on the Mississippi, then from there I moved directly to a place on the South end of Island Lake Reservoir in Duluth MN. If you are familiar with the Duluth area, I'm sure you know Island Lake. Anyways, I lived on Island lake until I turned 17, and then I moved into Hermantown until I graduated. So my home turf is definitely in the Duluth area, as thats where I have lived for about 14 of my 23 years on this earth. Do you have any ties to the Duluth area Pat?

Hey everyone. I really enjoy reading everyone's posts on this site and its been a great tool for me the last couple years to bounce feedback off others and gain advice. I used to only ask questions, but now have offered opinions from time to time when i have one.

i grew up fishing with my grandpa during the summers for walleye on leach, knife and mille lacs, but after he died when i was 9 our family only went once every year or two. after highschool i followed the grateful dead around for a few years before settling in maui, hawaii. i usually cam back to the mainland every summer to vend food at festivals around the country.

I was at 10,000 lakes music fest when i met a girl and fell in love. never made it back to maui, but ironically ended back up where i started. can't complain, Minnesota has the nicest people around.

we moved up to ely for school and the rest is history. winter blew, and i had bad hawaii withdrawls until i went ice fishing for my first time. that gave winter purpose and now i love winter just as much as summer and have made a mental list of the reasons why (to remind me why i left maui smile )

Anyways, live in central mn now finishing school, then back north or out west is the plan. ice fishing and open water fishing are what i do for fun now, and find myslef on "fish" tour more than Phish tour these days wink

I also enjoy baseball, beer and my son. Seeing music and fishing are my favorite activities but i am going deer hunting for my first time ever in wisconsin this weekend. Thanks everyone for all that you share and do. -much respect- FarI

hello everyone! my name is steve, i live in backus mn. married with 3 kids: 9,4 and 7 mo. all things fishing is my passion. i used to guide up until last year, recession really took a toll. i did however keep my full time job as a cnc machinist. my specialty is fly fishing, i fly fish everything from carp to muskie and everything in between. my oldest son is just as passionate about the sport as i am, even ties his own flies. when the hardwater season arrives, then i'm ice fishing, another passion of mine. i custom make all my own ice jigs and flies, and hope to soon be selling some of those jigs to fellow members and such!

Hi there! My name is Ted, and I'm from Mankato, MN.

I grew up in Omaha, NE, fishing for whatever would bite with my grandpa who got me into the sport. When I was 14, my family moved up to Southwest, MN. From there, I started learning to fish for walleyes, but also got addicted to fishing the MN River near Granite Falls.

Now that I live in Mankato, and go to college, I’ve changed my fishing habits. Now, during the summer, I like to target bass. I'm a C&R fisherman, and believe strongly in conserving our resources. I fish mainly from my kayak now too.

This will also be my first year of learning the art of fly fishing. I took my first trip to SE Minnesota last year, and was completely blown away the natural beauty of the area. I decided I had no choice but to fish over there as often as I possibly can.

Hopefully in the future, when I become more knowledgeable about the sport I love, I'll be able to help out others around this forum. But for the meantime, I’m here to learn!

See you on the water,

Ted

Hello all,

My name is Phil and currently reside in Cologne, MN which is about 5 miles south of Lake Waconia. My amazing wife of almost 16 years and our two children (14 year old girl and 10 year old boy) are in the process of buying an acreage north of Big Lake...so I might be moving in the near future. The screen name comes from what I carry for work (Glock) and what I love to drive (my Goldwing). I love remodeling and finishing work. I did about 40% of the work on my house when we built it 8 years ago and recently finished off our lower level.

I have worn many hats career wise, including HVAC installer, building engineer, painter, live sound engineer, and Federal contractor to ICE. For the past 7 years I have been a Federal Police Officer with the current rank of Sergeant based in Minneapolis. I work dogwatch, so a lot of my posts come from the middle of the night when we are slow. To the guys going through MCTC and skills, good luck. Rassmussen is a great firearms instructor, 2c pay close attention! I am co-owner of a firearms training company called Force Options, Inc. based in the metro but mainly utilize the Elk River gun range. We specialize in permit to carry, personal protection, and AR-15 training classes.

I got my first degree from Northwestern College in St. Paul majoring in Broadcasting and Biblical Studies. Since I haven't figured out what to do with my life, I decided to go back to school and am working on a Master's in Management from Concordia University. My dream job would be to work in the outdoor industry somehow (maybe a contributor to HSO grin)...but it has to compensate well, so I guess it will have to stay my hobby! LOL grin

Although I do deer hunt every year and have hunted elk in the Colorado mountains, fishing is my outdoor passion. We only fished a couple times a year when I was a kid, but when I struck out on my own, I started fishing 2 - 3 times a week around the metro. Once I got married and had kids, that slowed down...a little. I have enjoyed fishing trips to Alaska for Halibut and Salmon, yearly trips to the BWCA, and live for ice fishing. We brought our kids to the BWCA starting out when they were 3 years old. Both kids also were ice fishing on Mille Lacs with me when they were toddlers. We love to take them out on the pontoon in the summer for fishing and swimming as much as possible...good quality family time! We had a skid house on Mille Lacs for years, one for us and one for my father-in-law. A few years back I lost my Mille Lacs permy fishing buddy (my father in law) to cancer,so we let the permanent houses go and bought a wheelhouse. Now I relish the opportunity to bring my dad, brothers, brother in law, kids, wife, buddies, etc out fishing to Mille Lacs and Winnie and give them some opportunities they normally would not have.

Sorry for the novel, but that is me in a large nutshell! It has been great to read all of your bios. Thank you Rick for such a great site! I included a couple of my favorite fishing pics...

Kenai River Alaska:

KS5.JPG

Nice Mille Lacs Walleye:

DSC00021.JPG

Couple of Mille Lacs Walleyes from a lot of years ago!:

Walleye_ML.JPG

My truck and wheelhouse on Mille Lacs: Truck_Wheelhouse_mille_lacs.JPG

Hello, my name is Greg (LooseMoose).

I've been living north of Taylors Falls for the past 5 years. I'm a single 54 yr. old (divorced) father of 3 beautiful girls with 3 energetic grand boys. I worked for the 3M Co. for 30 years and the past 2 years at Boston Scientific.

I spend most of my spare time fishing (open & hard water) and some hunting (duck, deer & pheasants) in the fall. Most of my hunting (some fishing) is in western MN (Norwegian country), near the towns of Sunburg & Brooten (north of Willmar some 30 miles) where most of my relatives live.

Recently my passion has been introducing my two oldest grandkids (7 & 8) to the world of fishing. It does take some patience and I don’t want to push them into it, so I guess it’s a work in progress, Must be working as they recently asked when they could go ice fishing with grandpa again!

I’ve been a HSO member for many years (previously under a different site name) and have gained a lot of insight and knowledge in many different subjects from this site.

Great to read all the other introductions and look forward to interacting with you all!

Greg,

Hi! My name is Pete. I'm all Minnesota all the time. I was born and raised in NW Minnesota (Hallock) and have been an outdoors lover all my life. It's kinda funny that I'd take a job that requires me to be indoors for 8-10 hours a day. Ha! I've gone from a real love of hunting to being a very active fisherman. I love the sport and spend as much time as I can afford on the water or ice for that matter. Not to say I don't hunt anymore. My family still owns a couple hundred acres of land and I enjoy bringing friends up north to see and hunt the land I've enjoyed my whole life! I think for me it's more about the friendships than the personnal accomplishments. I guess I'm just another boring guy....work, hunt, fish, snowmobile, ride.

full-130-5329-vp8vtlhmptldd2c.jpg

Hi all, Greg Clusiau here. A self-proclaimed "weekend warrior", I'm outdoors each and every weekend, fishing and hunting. Actually, I try to fish 49 weekends of the year and whitetail deer hunt the other 3. I've guided up here in northern MN for over 20 years so I know the waters well, especially in the "north of Nashwauk" area, along with lakes north of Grand Rapids and beyond (Winnie, Leech, Red, Vermilion, Rainy River, Rainy Lake and more).

Fishing is truly my game and I find myself traveling to trophy fisheries all over the country. Some of this is done when co-hosting the "Angling Adventures" television show based out of Denver, Colorado. I've done shows from Lake Fork, Texas to Lake Gunisao, Manitoba, along with several in Minnesota and other states.

It's all fun, as long as it involves fishing.

Hi All.

First off I would like to give a shout out to Greg Clusiau. What Greg should have said was Hi all, Greg Clusiau here. A self-proclaimed "weekend warrior", And stand up guy. Here is the story last year my cousin and I were at his brothers lake place on a small lake in the Marcell area ice fishing and having one of those days. First off the Rhino dies out on the lake followed by a broken cog on the recoil of the auger. Greg who was fishing down the lake a ways comes over on his sled to see if he can help and ends up pulling us over to the area he was fishing, punches us some holes and when we were although fishing gets us back to the cabin. Now in my book that's going above and beyond the call of duty. So a big thank you Greg. Forever indebted.

So now for a intro. My name is Mike I am 53 and a long time lurker to this site. To date I have lived a charmed life, married the love of my life we just celebrated 31 years of marriage. We have 2 sons whom are both graduated from college and making there own way. Graduated from Dunwoody in 79 spent the first 28 years of my work career as a IBEW electrician and now work for a major pipeline company as a technician same job different title.

My family had a lake place on the Whitefish Chain so I started my fishing addiction at a very young age as a dock fisherman. At about 10 I was allowed to take out the old cedar oar boat to the "Dropoff" throw out the anchor which was little more than a folgers coffee can filled with concrete and a eye hook attatched to a cotton rope. I bought my first fishing boat at 15 with paper route money and help from my Dad, a Lund C14 with a Johnson 9.9. That same year my Grandparents gave me a Lowrance greenbox for Xmas and the lake became my oyster.I just resently bought my 6th Lund tiller a 1800 Pro V.

Now days I have a truck with a slide in camper and fish statewide till ice up. I have a wheel house for the ice. Throw in a little golf, bowhunting, bird hunting, and deer camp and my year is made.

MR

Hi all my name is Shawn,

i dont know where to start so here we go, i am 26 years old and will be living in plymouth in about two weeks. i work for UPS and get to deliver all of your outdoor packages that you order. i work alot around Bald eagle and white bear lakes and get caught watching people fish in the summer and winter and dont get as much work done. i love anything outdoors. during the summers when i was in school i spent them at my grandparents cabin on lake jefferson or at my parents cabin in stillwater. on the weekends if we werent at the lake i would wine tell my dad would drop me off at the lake get the boat ready for me and off i was tell dark. i started hunitng when i was 12 and kinda had to teach myself alot. my dad didnt hunt much and tought myself modern day hunting ways. my uncle owns a lodge and campground up on the northshore near Finland MN. when i was old enough to drive i would go up there th help him guide for black bears. and now do alot of my deer hunting up there.

another uncle owns a fishing resort in longville and get to do alot of fishing on the woman lake chain there. two years ago i bought a lund tyee and started fishing the big lakes alot and didnt have to use my dads boat. then the motor went out on it last summer and ended up selling it. went almost all last year with no boat and went CRAZY! this winter i picked up a ranger 617 and it would be my dream to really get to fish alot and some day start guiding. i have been with my wonderful girlfriend for the past two years and have got her into the outdoors. she like to fish for panfish with me, but really enjoys bow hunitng. for her birthday i got her a bow and now i cant keep her off the range. and she also is very busy with ranch rodeos she owns her own horse and found out that one of her old riding buddies is the sister of our leader Rick.

have been on many get-to-gethers and meet alot of you wonderful people and cant wait to meet more and put faces to names. ok im done i got most of my outdoor background done ha ha ha. have a wonderful day yall

iceman

Hello! I'm John.

I live in the UK with my two beautiful girls - with my wife Emma and with my daughter Aria. Also, we have a dog, Milo, and a cat, Summer.

I like archery hunting but I also have my own gun for it. Moreover, I love fishing, especially kayak fishing. Besides fishing and hunting, I like playing at our backyard with my family and cooking outdoors.

At home, I prefer watching movies and reading good books (finally, just end up with War And Peace). Being a dentist, lately I've had little time for this.

I've found this forum in Google and I think your content is cool. Nice to meet you all here, I'm glad to be a new member of this community. Have a great day!

Welcome to HSO @Liplet

We are looking forward to you becoming an active member.

If there is anything we can do to help, let us know.

For some reason I never noticed this forum before. Anyway, my name is Bob and I am located in Osakis, MN. I grew up on the iron range in the small town of Kinney. I am married with one son from a previous marriage and two daughters. My son manages the regional office for ProCore technologies and  in Willmar with his wife and my grandson. Our oldest daughter is a medical lab scientist in charge of both hospitals in Elbow Lake and Morris. Our youngest daughter is a cosmetologist right here in Osakis. I am retired as of last May and enjoying every minute of it, although with the wife's honey do list I haven't been able to get out fishing as much as I was hoping. We have an 87 acre hobby farm with about 60 acres under plow and my wife enjoys her quarter horses. I enjoy hunting, fishing, camping (tent) once in while, bicycle riding, ATV riding, and anything outdoors. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Looked did then realized I don't believe his taste buds. He purposely was drinking Miller Lite. Yuk
    • I’d say it depends on how fast we want results and what the public will tolerate.  I do think a closure during their most vulnerable time is worth serious consideration.  We close the season for other fish for the same reason.  Now we’re realizing the never ending supply of quality panfish does really have an end.   It’s really going to be up to us to understand and accept the facts about how we affect the fisheries.  Getting this information out there and talking with each other is a big help.  I personally know several people who have changed their view on filling the live well or bucket with the most and biggest panfish they can to self imposed limits.  But I also know several people who are still proud as can be to bring home that pile of upper end fish, and worse yet making several repeat trips and bringing others with to do the same.  It’s hard to tell friends what their doing isn’t helpful.   One group of people can substantially fish down smaller lakes in 1-3 years and they’re fine with that.  On to the next lake.  I literally heard that just yesterday.  The limit was dropped on that particular lake to 5 this spring and that has curbed the number of trips they’ve been taking out there.  To me, it doesn’t get to be any clearer than that.   Minky, your practice sounds like what we need to get that 10% group of takers to adopt.
    • Wanderer, any ideas? Would the reduced limit and one over 9 or 10 inches be enough? Should there be a short season closure in the late winter / early spring?  Only catch and release in May and June. I love catching them, eating a few and releasing the rest.
    • here is a new idea to try:  
    • I would have to say that Wanderer is the biggest turkey so he gets my vote. 😀
    • I was out at a local lake last night and found the gills on beds with a few crappies mixed in.  I was learning the lake and planned on keeping moving and targeting bass but couldn’t resist pulling a few pannies in.  As always it was fun but I didn’t keep any and ran into several beds. They were topping out at a solid 8 inches on the board.   As I moved along I could see someone down the line, I thought maybe he was fishing bass also but he didn’t move until I got within about 75 yards.  When I got to the spot he was fishing there was another set of beds but I couldn’t see a fish on them.  Threw my bait in and didn’t get bit.     I’ve been that guy before but I’ve seen that scenario play out too many times to be OK with it anymore.  I know the panfish get hammered all winter and that’s probably putting the biggest hurt on the population but stripping the beds is something we really need to curb IMO.
    • Yes - absolutely thank you to Borch for running this again!   And thanks to everyone who entered!  Having the contest and getting some encouragement helped me get more back in tune to the spring turkey season than I have been lately.  And learn the lesson (again) to not under estimate what’s available and what can happen for anyone.
    • Yes- a cheap go pro knock off. 
    • Congrats Wanderer!  Thanks once again Borch for doing this. 
    • If I could only keep 5 or 10 sunnies this size (around 7 1/2) for the increased chance to catch & release 10+ inch sunnies it would be worth it!
  • Topics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.