• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Rick

HSO INSIDERS - Introductions

I'm Rick,

I started this whole mess. I love training and raising very good gundogs. I'm normally quiet about it or defer to others but I do know a couple things about producing good gundogs. I also love to fish. From Walleyes to Muskie and Catfish to Sturgeon. I'm a kid at heart though and panfishing on ice is my favorite...chasing the big ones is what I really like to do.

Please be sure to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.

Feel free to ask questions in here...there are some very knowledgeable HSO INSIDERS from all over North America. I will help out where I can.

Many will share much more information in here because it is a smaller group and almost everyone in here has a past history of sharing good info.

Check out you favorite persons thread and ask away, start your own info thread or start your own topic with a question, joke or whatever.

Let's have fun and let's be a little free wheeling with it in here.

Again,

please tell us a little about yourself and then get into this forum and start gathering and sharing information by posting if you'd like. smile

Hi

My name is Jim and I am a fishaholic grin or at least that is what I have been told by many.

I have always had a love for the outdoors with fishing being my favorite outdoor sport and with pheasant hunting a close 2nd. It started at a young age going with my dad either as his bird dog when we were hunting or chasing panfish through the ice. The times in the summer when we would rent a pontoon and fish with cane poles were really some of the best memories. My dad finally got our own boat when I was around 12 or 13 and then the addiction for both of us really started. We went halves on our first " Green Box " and electric trolling motor and the hunt for walleyes was on. We tried to get as much info as we could like subscribing to Fishing Facts and books by Buck Perry on spoonpluging and some guy names Babe on Night-crawler Secrets. So much for my early years now to the present.

Most of my fishing has been on Mille Lacs or any of the lakes in the Itasca county area for the past 20 plus years with walleyes being the first choice. Since we sold the cabin I don't get to fish as much in the Itasca county area which is a bummer but that will change once the wife is out of school.

Since I am sticking closer to home now days I am trying to learn how to fish for Trout and Salmon on Lake Superior. What a learning curve this has been but a lot of fun just the same. Its funny how I can go to almost any lake and catch a walleye on almost any given day and then try to fish Lake Superior and have it kick your behind for 3 days straight. Early in the season when the fish were on top it was easy but now that the water has warmed things are getting a little tougher.

If you have a questions about the Itasca county area fishing I just might have a answer but when it comes to Lake Superior I am just a rookie but having a lot fun learning.

My name is Jim also.

I live in the Waubun/Naytahwaush area and that's where my reports come from. I've got 4 kids from 20 months to 13 years old with my gal Esther, and my family comes first before anything. I also do respite care on the weekends for kids that are in the foster care system. Wow, it sure is nice to bring some light into these kids' lives even if it's only one weekend at a time.

I've been an outdoor nut my whole life, ever since I was just a kid I remember hunting and fishing with my dad. Fishing has surpassed my love for hunting over the last couple of years, but I still hunt quite a bit come September. I love Deer hunting/waterfowling/upland/camping/ATV's.

I'm blessed to live in an area filled with great natural resources. The main lakes that I fish are South Twin, North Twin, Tulaby, and quite a few others that I'd rather keep to myself unless you want to go with me!! Once winter rolls around I get excited because Ice Fishing is what really gets me going.

I love taking my kids out with me and letting them experience what has brought me so much joy over the years and I pray that they catch "the fever" also grin

I really enjoy being part of the HSO family and I hope to meet more of you in the future.

No Joke Here.

My name is Jim.

Originally from western Minnesota and grew up hunting ducks, pheasant and huns.

We would go to Leech Lake a couple of times a year on vacation and

saw those huge muskies people were catching. That gave me the bug

that has lasted for many years.

I have been a lifetime member of Muskies Inc since 1970. Back then

all of the original founders were still alive. We owe a debt to

the likes of Gil Hamm and Frank Schnieder; as well as many other.

In 1976 I bought the old "New Leech Lake" campground A-frame and move it

to it's current location. Many good memories of hundreds of hours

tossing lures with many of the great musky fishermen.

Now, that Leech is back, I spend a lot of time chasing wallys.

I am a cormorant...Hater. Enough said.

I manage to hunt waterfowl for a couple of weeks each fall in North

Dakota. Most other weekends atr spent with my Lab, Snoop Dawg, chasing

roosters in SW Minnesota or Iowa.

My latest "bug" is flathead fishing. I don't have much experience yet

but follow all of the posts, on FM, daily.

A couple of years ago when I first got interested I ran into Hanson and

he was nice enough to give me some basic pointers.

One of my dream outings is to go fishing with one of the HSO pros like

DTRO, WWG, Dennis or Big Papa.

I am more than glad to share any information with any FM ers about

SW Minnesota rooster hunting or what I know about Leech and Winni.

Looking forward to meeting more of you in person.

Best,

tweed

My name is John,

I grew up on the western side of the state, fishing in ottertail county, which is a great place to start out!

Joined the Air Force, spend time in Minot, North Dakota hunting everything from deer to grouse and not fishing much due to the not owning a boat and lack of shore fishing opertunities. I have also spent time in Germany, Sicily, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and traveled thru a handfull of other countries. I was involved with the Ground Launched Cruise Missile program which opened up travel oppertunites for me at the time.

Since getting out I have moved to the metro area and have returned to my fishing roots. I fish mostly Leech and Mille Lacs, with a few trips to URL and Vermillion thrown in now and then. I fish with my wife alot and we fish mostly for walleyes, big walleyes. I don't know if it's good or bad but we are kind of at a spot now where anything under 25" is a bad day. One of my goals this year is to put 5 over 25" in the boat in one day, so far I have not reached it as the best we have done is 3 over 25" in one day so far, but the year is far from over and fall is coming! We don't keep many fish in the summer and have yet to put a fish on the wall. I do a little bass fishing for fun as well as a little musky and large pike fishing when the lake gives me the oppertunity.

I don't ice fish much do to work and family putting constraints on my time but we still manage to make a couple of trips to URL and LOW a year.

I fish in the FLW Walleye Tour as a co angler and in the Full Throttle series as a boater. Tournament fishing is a blast and I get to learn some fantastic lakes in the process.

I am an electrician by trade and try to help out where I can in the Home Improvement forum but it's not really an area where many people are comfortable and it's pretty dangerous if you don't know what is going on.

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell. If I can help someone out let me know.

My name it NOT Jim. gringrin

Born in LaCrosse, raised in Grand Forks, North Dakota, lived in Wisconsin, Colorado, North Dakota, Minnesota. I've fished and hunted in all those places, and have fished most of the species you'd expect of someone living there. Hunted big game, small game, upland, waterfowl.

Amid all that fishing, I have done a lot of different kinds of work, from hard manual labor to middle management jobs and in between. For about 15 years I was a reporter, editor, page designer and photographer in weekly and daily newspapers before quitting that three years ago to strike off on my own in photography.

These days my hunting passion is deer and my fishing passions are lake trout and pike.

It's not easy to make a living in a tourist town, so my shingle is hung out as a photographer (nature, weddings, portraits, guided excursions), handyman/cabin maintenance guy and laker and pike guide.

You'll see me all over the forums, though I mostly hang out in: Lawn and Garden, Bird Watching, Photography, Bemidji, BWCAW-Duluth and Vermilion-Ely.

Hi

My name is Jeff, I just got back into fishing a few years back when I inherited a Starcraft Superfisherman 170 from my father.

I live in the cities now but have lived all over the world while in the service (Submarine Force US Navy) where I had the opprotunity to do some salt water fishing in both the Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic and Med.

I have developed a real love of smallie fishing on the Mississippi (pool 1 mostly) but am willing to go ater just about anything.

I am currently unemployed (more time to fish) recently I have been working as a middle school teacher and hope o find another teaching job. I have worked as a nuclear reactor operator, B2B sales/marketing, electronics tech, and retail management.

My other interests are computers, photography and travel among other things.

I don't know what type of information I might be able to share but if the situation arises I will be more than happy to do so.

A couple of years ago when I first got interested I ran into Hanson and he was nice enough to give me some basic pointers.

I don't know what I'm talking about so I hope I did get you pointed in the wrong direction... J/K.

Do you remember when & where we bumped into each other, might help me put a face with a name.

Hi hanson,

I ran into you one afternoon in the parking lot of Home Depot, in

Chaska.

What's up with all of this walleye chasing?

tweed

My name is Jeff and I'm from a small western suburb town near Lake Minnetonka.

I'm currently a student downtown at MCTC for law enforcement and currently unemployed. I was diagnosed with sarcoma cancer earlier this year and have not been able to work due to daily radiation therapy and side effects as well as multiple surgeries. I have however been able to fish a bit.

I've been fishing since I was 5. I fished mainly for Pike and Bass on our families cabin lake and did that through my mid teens. I then moved to Mankato to attend MSU for automotive engineering. Had a rough time down there but that is where I learned the beauty of river fishing. I started fishing the Minnesota River down there for Catfish and fell in love with it. That was 2-3 years ago now and I no longer live in Mankato, but I still consistently fish for Cats.

My name is Scott, I grew up on the Mn River Valley in Lesueur, the only water near me that was fishable was the MN River. My favorite fish to catch as a kid was carp, there were plenty of them in the river, and they were blast, and a huge challenge for a 8-12 year old. My largest carp was about 35 pounds. When I turned 13, I started to hang around a few older friends, and they were into catfishing, and every since, flatheads have been my main target, except for a few years in the late 90's-early 2000's I chased walleye's.

Today I am married, and have 3 children, I have a 16 yr old daughter who decided boys are more fun to chase then fish, and 12 yr old son who likes to fish as much, if not more then me, and a 11 yr old daughter who likes to fish, but not nearly as much as me.

I started out going to college for being an accountant, as math was easy for me, but with the help of a old friend, he talked me out of it, and convinced me to go into automotive, we are no longer friends! I did all of my schooling through HTC, then when I got out, started working at a Ford dealer in 1990, then went to all of the Ford schooling. I worked at 2 different Ford dealers from 1990 til 06, when I started the job I am at now, I run a hotline for other shops. Shops will call me for information on the vehicles they are working on. I work from home, and have a fairly open schedule to do as I want. At times I miss working on vehicles, and will take on some side jobs, just to keep myself in the know.

I love to ice fish, I was a die hard growing up, when I was going to college, and working in the metro, in the winter, I just lived out of my ice house. I figured why not, it is where I went every night after work anyway, then I just didnt need to drive home. I still ice fish a lot, but after getting married and having kids, that slowed, but now they are getting older, and I am starting to get back into that as well. But my true love is catfishing, and carp fishing. I will carp fish in the springs, until the cats start biting, then I am pretty much a die hard catman.

My name is Andy. I grew up as a city kid in North Minneapolis. There are a few lakes nearby and of course the Mississippi. My only outdoors activity was going to a family cabin once a summer and from joining the boy scouts.

When I was 15 I got my first job pushing carts at the grocery store. We had a raffle drawing for a canoe to raise money for our holiday party and I won. I was 16, no car, no license with a canoe and fishing gear. I had to ride my bike if I wanted to fish somewhere. My favorite fishing had become pike and bass and heading up to the Gunflint Trail for some smallies.

Once I was on my own my activities evolved. The only fishing I do now is ice fishing and some bwca. I now have two red canoes. However my number one activity is hunting. Since I live in the city still this is pretty difficult.I deer hunted a bit in my teens but from what I know now I didn't learn much of anything back then. I've learned how to hunt on my own. I have a great springer spaniel for doves, pheasant and grouse. I also discovered turkeys thanks to some Fishing Minnesota mentors. I took up archery for something to do and I fell in love.

I now bowhunt for deer and turkeys whenever its legal. I spend alot of time looking for places to hunt since I don't own land. Most of my contributions on HSO come from my background in tree and lawn care and my transition to water and sewer utilities. However I'm in school at MCTC for law enforcement and should graduate this fall. I can't wait. I of course would love to be a Conservation Officer, but I think I would be happy with any LEO position.

If anyone wants to go hunting, I'm in.

Hello all I’m Darren

I grew up in the big metropolis of Cook MN, which is located near beautiful Lake Vermilion. I was fortunate enough to have a grandfather who had a place on the lake near Tower and I was able to live there all summer every summer as I grew up. Every single morning it was up at 5am and on the water for about 6 hrs. Then fall would roll around, and in the woods we would go. I honestly think I learned more about life by the time I was 14 then I have learned since then. I really miss him sometimes….

After that I spent a few summers working at Muskego Point Resort up there. This is where I was introduced to the concept of catch and release fishing by the owner Grant Hughes. It was weird at first to be letting all these fish go, but he wouldn’t have it any other way, and I’m forever grateful to him for instilling that belief into me. I now release 95% of what I catch and will have a small meal every now and then. I sure learned a lot about people and fishing those 3 years though and If time could stand still it would be hard to beat those 3 or 4 years in my life. Let’s just say I had my own private cabin, I got to fish everyday out of a Ranger, in a lake that was full of muskies that nobody knew about, and of course the steady stream of young ladies on vacation wasn’t bad either. grin

Fast forward to the present, and I’m now living in Jordan which is a stones throw away from my current favorite body of water which is the MN river. It’s a little slice of heaven down there and the river has found a spot in my heart, it’s in my blood so to speak, and while I am a hardcore catfishermen, I really love all fishing, and having the river near me has kind of made me a catter by default.

There is just something about being on the water and soaking in everything around you. Almost poetic.

Fishing IS an addiction and sadly, I am a junky.

Oh and Tweedlap, people dream about winning the lottery or curing cancer, not fishing with a chump like me. IMO there are no “pros”, just folks that spend a lot of time on the water. You are more than welcome any time you want!

Minneshowta Wild. What part of the LE program are you in? I seem to remember your name, but I didn't recognize you on your fb page. I finished the theory portion and will be taking the "skills" portion this fall at the new HTC location.

I'm Eric but most people just call me Eric.

I grew up in the swamps of Linwood, joined the Navy, 10 years later returned to find Linwood had become a suburb and ske-daddled to the prairie.

I believe........ Pabst Blue Ribbon comes in sets of either 12 or 24 and I hate to break up a set, Christmas presents should be opened Christmas morning and not on Christmas Eve, my favorite holiday is July 4, long romantic walks on the beach are for fems, I hate big words but Foss Knob uses them anyway, Throwing horse shoes is fun as long as you have 4 people so you don't have to walk back and forth, and I have a leg lamp in my living room window.

Oh yeah, I like to fish, too.

Not sure I can even come close to what you just said Eric..........

Hi my name is Chris, I have two kids Hunter 12 and Gracie 8 they are my life. I have been with the love of my life Brenda for the last 22 years. We have a love for Golden retreviers and have one female right now Shelby.

We have a camper up in Sauk Centre and try to spend as may weekends there as possible. We fish for alot of panfish and Hunter and I do a few trips to Mille Lacs each year

My love for the outdoors started early as I was hunting birds with my dad on the family farm in Belle Plaine. I continue to hunt waterfowl and do a couple of pheasent hunting trips a year.

There is a special place that I like to spend my winters thats in my father in laws fish house with family and friends.

One of my goals this year is to fish with a bunch of HSO members and have a nice little list going so far.

If you happen to be going through Sauk Centre on a weekend stop in and have a beer where at the Sinclair Lewis campground in lot #74.

Sifty

Minneshowta Wild. What part of the LE program are you in? I seem to remember your name, but I didn't recognize you on your fb page. I finished the theory portion and will be taking the "skills" portion this fall at the new HTC location.

I'm new to the program, just started last winter.

Hi My name is Gordie and when I grow up I wanna be just like Eric or as you guys call him Eric grin

I grew up in Jordan Mn and the Sandcreek was in my backyard I grew up fishing the sandcreek and the Minnesota river. My father would go to Mille Lacs for opener and when they would return I would always have more walleyes than they did and I never left the back yard.

I stiil love the MN river and have been finding that I spend way more time driveing to it than I should but when you love something that much it doesnt matter what it takes.

I'm married and have three kids my daughter Anika is 22yrs old and my boys are 14 Joey and Davey is 11 yrs old.

I love to duck hunt actaully more than anything but fishing has always been a addiction for me . if I'm not hunting I'm fishing..

My father also took me fishing and hunting alot so I owe him the most thanks when it comes to the love I have for the outdoors.

I'm having the time of my life teaching my kids to hunt and fish also.

I used to be self employeed and have my own welding shop but I deside to take a full time job have to make sacrifices to live you know. funny thing is I love my job but not as much as hunting and fishing grin

One of the best things that happened to me was finding this site by mistake I was looking for info on a catfish contest and stumbled acroos the catfish forum and the rest is history. Thanks to everyone on this site for the laughs cause for me I like to laugh and joke around all most as must as I like to hunt and fish..

I also belive that Eric is right walks on the beach are for fem's laugh unless the beach is on the way to the duck blind and I'm carrying a gun

Hi All,

Bob Lyng here father of 2 grown children 25 and 31. I live In Stacy and have a place in Sandstone. I Fly RC Aircraft and play with computers and fish. I am married to my wife of 26 years and when she isn't busy she fishes too.

Hey, I'm Mike, but they call me Eric (not really) grin

I am a die hard outdoorsman, But I have 3 boys ages 11, 6 & 4 and they are my sidekicks. With them as sidekicks it really takes the intensity out of most of my outings... but it sure builds character, and I enjoy every minute of it (my wife calls them my minny-me's).

I grew up on a farm between Lakefield and Windom, MN and spent many hours hunting waterfowl and ice fishing. I have family around the Detroit Lakes area and in the summer I would spend weeks up there fishing and... Oh yes Fishing.

After college I moved to SD, I have lived in Watertown (3yrs), Chamberlain (3yrs) and now Webster. I spend all my winters icefishing for Pike, Walleye and perch on local lakes, and as of this past winter I started spearing Pike crazy. My springs I spend fishing Large Pike (we don't have a closed fishing season here) and walleye from Waubay lake and few honeyholes. The Summer is for camping with my family and my new found passion of muskie fishing (my 11 yr old is worse than me, rehab has been discussed). The fall I HUNT & HUNT, from pheasants, deer, antalope, mule deer, ducks, geese, mountain lion & what ever I can find (legal of course).

By trade I am a Ag Lender, therfore I have an in for deer info., but I also own a home repair business that does the "husband for Hire" type work; (not that kind!). My wife is Photographer and owns her own business,she does weddings, seniors, family, children, sports and school photos; fills the weekends, therfore I fish.

I really enjoy this site, there are so many of you that are willing to help and inform on topic of your expertice. I have visited the muskie page daily over the past 5 weeks just trying to pick up some tid bit info that may help my son & I land our 1st ski. No luck yet cry.

If anyone needs a tip or two when heading my way, feel free to drop a line and I will try to head you in the right direction. I will reserve, you know how it works... "The bite was good there yesterday and they limited out" and you end up skunked today, well, I will try to lead you the right direction.

My wife says my signiture on my post is a little wierd, but just a small insight. In the past 4 months my dad was dignosed with lung cancer, my 41yr old cousin died of liver cancer, a parent in our 4-H club died of allergic reaction to chemo, a local business owner and friend just pasted away this past Tues. of cancer, and a Great friend and hunting partner has an estimated 2 weeks left after a year battle with cancer. I pray each day that a cure is found and all I understand is that "Cancer Suck". I truly believe that each person with cancer is a hero and should be treated as such!

Keep the outdoors alive and introduce a kid to the outdoors.

Take Care

Mike

mjdunse at yahoo dot com

Nice intros everyone. I appreciate finding out a little about each of you. Thanks.

The Cancer sucks issue hit a soft spot here.

I hope everyone feels they can share their joys, sorrows and successes, failures...... And have a really good time in here. laugh

There are some VERY knowledgeable people in here willing to share info.

So if you haven't already, please be sure to introduce yourself and feel free to ask questions.

Hey all,

My name is Rob, I reside in the Winnebago Chain area of Wisconsin. Yes I'm a cheesehead, I do live on beer and brats, and Gold is always better than Purple. :P I pretty much breathe the outdoors. A long list of my likings include:

Gun/Bow: Whitetail & Mule Deer, Elk, Moose and Turkey

Small Game: Squirrel, P-Dogs, Pheasant and other upland/waterfowl game

Fishing: Wally Gators, Muskie, Pike, Pannies, Sturgeon Spearing, Trout

Activities: ATVing, Camping, Hiking, Biking, 3D shoots.

So basically if it has fur, fins, and feathers I am goin after it. I am a huge nut when it comes to Sturgeon spearing. I've written a few articles for some folks that never heard about it and willing to share all there is to know about the wonderful sport.

I have a love for hunting dogs and pursuing pheasants and grouse here in Wisconsin and also spend many weeks in S.Dakota. Since having my 1st Springer Spaniel it's been just awesome to see how much of a friend the dog can be too you. After loosing my 1st pup to a Vet mishap, I was guided to a Minn breeder an obtained another wonderful Springer that is still dying to hunt everyday if I'd let her.

In my non outdoorsy life, I am a State Correctional Officer which is prolly the worst, yet best paying job in the area. It's a lifechanging experience behind the razorwire, which most I tend not to share with others. On the side I help my father with construction as he's recently retired from 30+ yrs on the Force. I am soon to be divorced (live and learn) but have 2 wonderful children of my own (1.5yr girl and 5yr boy) along with 1 step son who is 13. The oldest is following in my tracks concerning the outdoors as long as I can keep him distracted from the female predecessors. smile We all enjoy the outdoors together, and recently began shooting archery 3D shoots on the weekends.

As I wrap this up, I'd like to thank everyone for being apart of this wonderful family we have here at HSO. I've been here for awhile and have enjoyed every minute of it. There is so much help offered from simply daily life dealings, to the pursuit of happiness in the outdoors. Remember, involve all the kids and women in everything you do. They are our future of better things to come in the outdoors.

Support Our Troops!

Gator,

Congrats on your big sturgy this winter/spring. I enjoyed your stories

and past adventures !

tweed

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.