• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bear food........................

Yup just that...

Plenty of heat,rain and sunshine they berries are popping...........

BLUE B pancakes with fresh BB syrup 4 days in a row now.Thinking pie,jam and spicy dipping sauce tonight....YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Plenty of bear filler food this yearlilly,cranberry,choke,rasp and acorns...

Fat bear naturally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you know what. I think it is always hard to compete with mother nature but what i find that works when the going gets tough(with the exception of acorns), this is what I call my special recipe. This one is for you BOAR. get a bunch of bread,(try to stay away from as little mold as possible) and sweet rolls. get a 30-50 gal drum. put in a layer about 1/4th from bottom of container, mix up a 5gal bucket of 5lb,s of sugar and water, put about 1/4th of it poured slow so bread,pasties etc. soak up then take and squirt about 1/4th of a bottle of honey over it, then continue to do this until you get about 6inches from the top.and then lay plastic over it.careful now not to seal it to tight cause it will ferment.dont over feed. but they LOVE IT! this abolutely works,just be careful when it ferments, as i am not responsible for your actions. any feedback let me know.

Well thanks for the tip x1957x, I'm gonna try this witht eh next shipment of pasteries I get. What is the actual end result besides a dead bear? Sounds like a seven layer cake, dont over feed? You use it as desert? Hey welcome to the forum. Boar

Not exactully sure, but by mid Oct. youve had grouse hunters, early doe,feild hunting for geese an bow hunting for deer is getting in full swing, there is alot of other conflicting seasons an rifle is three weeks away, the cubs an sows are or getting in their dens, but big boars are more in tuned to hold out till the end an are probabley more temperature affected. I have heard of mature boars not even denning during really mild winters, but holeing onto the side of fallen tree. Bog probabley know more. But i beleive that late season is the avbsolute best time to hit a mature boar. baor

boar. what ifound out is that you only want to put a couple ice cream pails on it. if you do they eat a super big hole in the ground or if on wood, they will actually eat the wood to get every last piece. you will find out that it works. i think that it ferments and and the bear get drunk. who the heck knows, your dealing with a bear! let me know what the out come is though.

Cherokee. hey that stuff really works. kinda like grandma Clampett's special recipe! Let me know if you need anything else. Just love to talk bear hunting and about any other kind of hunts! -Jeff-

x1957x I hear you. I just got in from shooting my bow. I am getting a bunch of beef scraps (we are buying a 1/4 and friend buying a 1/2) and was wondering what the best way to store this stuff would be. I am out of freezer space. I'll see if they can hold it for me at the locker but I'm not so sure. I would think the fat would keep but meat will be a problem. Any ideas?

cherokee. shooting bow can only mean good things to come! I dont think that there is any way to keep that except to freeze it. although if you have a local locker, for a small fee i am sure they would store that. It is a possibility that they could also keep other trimings for you. hey--- good luck. nice talking at you. Where you from? -jeff-

I use meat and the never found a way yet, you could try soaking it in grease or cook it part way. I get mine from butcher day before I use it for that reason, it starts to get green after 4-7 days depending on temp.

x1957x I hear you. I just got in from shooting my bow. I am getting a bunch of beef scraps (we are buying a 1/4 and friend buying a 1/2) and was wondering what the best way to store this stuff would be. I am out of freezer space. I'll see if they can hold it for me at the locker but I'm not so sure. I would think the fat would keep but meat will be a problem. Any ideas?

Cherokee, Best bet is to wrap meat in plastic bags preferably in single layer. Try to get as much air out as possible.Dig a hole in the shade in heavy soil if possible (clay...). Dig deep enough to hit cool soil. Bury bags. Layer dirt between bags to keep it cool. Water top once in a while if possible to keep it cool.

Cherokee, Best bet is to wrap meat in plastic bags preferably in single layer. Try to get as much air out as possible.Dig a hole in the shade in heavy soil if possible (clay...). Dig deep enough to hit cool soil. Bury bags. Layer dirt between bags to keep it cool. Water top once in a while if possible to keep it cool.

Thanks for the replies on the meat. I might be able to drag it up to my brother-in-laws place and put in his freezer. Just need to confirm if he has the room. If not I will try what you suggest bogwalker.

Hey boys, you guys been busy. Cherokee, I was up with just hanging out, doing a little beach'n a litlle horseback riding an just chill'n an all I could think about was bear hunt'n. That tip about keeping meat in the ground, thats pretty much on the basis of a root celler way, Someone mention jerky, theyed gobble that up, fire up the smoker an dry it out. Later boar

bogwalker,

Thanks for the offer and suggestions. The solution was right under my nose. Turns out my mother in law has two empty freezers buring a hole for some beef scrap. I'm going to try and have the butcher keep it for three additional weeks from when it is supposed to be ready. Than it's baiting time. :}

boar, sounds like a good time. The family and I went canoing yesterday and we are a little soar. We'll stick to the power boat.

Speaking of the smoker, I do have one and that might put off a pretty good smell.

Dale