• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spinner rig/harness help.......

My post got wrist slapped junkie. Look up the bait rigs site. Or easier yet, try making your own. The are fresher that way. All the prerigged ones you buy seem to be wound up tightly and packaged for a while. They tend to get all twisted up and mangled before any of the ones I fisrt starting making. Untangling them from the package can sometimes be a challenge.

I have a lot of fun making them. Take a prerigged one as an example or just look for pictures online.

Hook, bead, bead, bead, bead, clevis (quick changed or folded nickel/brass) with blade of choice, bead(optional) line length of choice, and I tie mine off to a nice barrel swivel for ease of storage on tackle buddy and for ease of clipping into snap swivel.

The bead/blade creation is great fun. Still yet to to catch one on a spinner,but once i dial in weight and speed, I am sure they will start jumping in the boat.

I have had lots of success with the regular lindys, just bead and hook, but sharpening those hooks and and adding a bead, and tying that together and lining up on tackle buddy tube is cost effective and effiient when plowing threw them on the water during a good bite.

In the interest of full disclosure... I'm just getting into this. The snell has been one of those knots I was never taught and just assumed to be a PIA to tie so I never even bothered to try and learn.

Well that was a mistake, its an easy knot and tying a crawler harness up is really a piece of cake. Its something I should have learned years ago. Unlike 5-6 years ago, there are A LOT of resources online to help you out. Do some research and you'll figure it out. Took about a half dozen times to figure out a snell but I got it now. Can't learn unless you try, eh?

So I went on a tour of my favorite tackle shops late this afternoon and I'm short some cash now. smile Cabela's in Rogers, MN surprisingly had about 6-7 patterns of Silver Streak blades in size 4 & 5. I scooped them up. smile I also got a bunch of Northland blades as they do really look good, and are readily available. Final stop was Thorne Bros who has a pretty amazing supply of JT Custom Tackle beads in all the sizes they manufacture. A guy could have seriously dropped a 100 bucks on beads and never duplicated a color & size. Crazy selection!! They asked me if I was making necklaces. LOL!!

So I've got some work ahead of me now. grin

Sounds like what I did on Monday. I actually looked back in my shopping bag of discarded blade packages and saw that I actually bought a pair of the Silver streak blades.

I just ordered a bunch of those JT blades and beads from land big fish. Picked up 6 packs of 100 6mm, to go with the blades I bought, saweet. Great looking components. Looking forward to organizing and then twisting up a few comobos. Maybe post a couple picks later.

You'll love the JT blades, they're the only ones I use now. Great quality tackle, from a great guy. JT also paints blades for Big Eye tackle, with different color variations from what JT sells (you can buy the Big Eye blades at most Fleet Farm stores, or direct).

As far as the snell knots, just like previously mentioned, do a search for the animated tying sites, and you'll pick it up in no time.

I buy my blades in bulk and Im going to start air brushing my own blades soon. Way cheaper than a lot of these companies charge. They all look great but are super expensive. Plus its nice to be able to get the exact colors you want in your area.

When you guys are specifically throwing spinner blade harnesses, what kind of rod and reel are you using? Baitcasting, spinning? Medium heavy,medium.... length?

I normally just use 8 lb flouo main,and 8 lb flouro snells, on a 7' MH rod. I am going to change that and get a spare bail when rigging, so I can put on some 10-20 main line braid,and not lose somany weights.

I just got a new rod and reel, so these will be my rigs for waldos

6'6" medium fenwick rod - Daiwa Caldia 2000 reel - 8 lb flouro - lindy rig - bead and hook, jigs

7' MH Berkley rod - Shimano Symmetre 2500 - 8 lb flouro/ spare bail 20lb braid heavier lindy rigs, cranks

I have a couple 6'10" Extreme BPS mh rods with Johnny morris reels baitcasting setup i could use for the walleye blades? They dont get much use right now.Need to use them formore trolling.

When you guys are specifically throwing spinner blade harnesses, what kind of rod and reel are you using? Baitcasting, spinning? Medium heavy,medium.... length?

I normally just use 8 lb flouo main,and 8 lb flouro snells, on a 7' MH rod. I am going to change that and get a spare bail when rigging, so I can put on some 10-20 main line braid,and not lose somany weights.

I just got a new rod and reel, so these will be my rigs for waldos

6'6" medium fenwick rod - Daiwa Caldia 2000 reel - 8 lb flouro - lindy rig - bead and hook, jigs

7' MH Berkley rod - Shimano Symmetre 2500 - 8 lb flouro/ spare bail 20lb braid heavier lindy rigs, cranks

I have a couple 6'10" Extreme BPS mh rods with Johnny morris reels baitcasting setup i could use for the walleye blades? They dont get much use right now.Need to use them formore trolling.

Six and a half to 7 and a half spinning or baitcaster with fireline with a medium action rod.

The only rods I get picky about are jigging rods. I don't get picky with rods I use for trolling.

I would think all the above rods you listed would be fine for trolling....IMO

I use a St. Croix Legend baitcasting bottom bouncing rod. 7' medium power moderate action. Light, sensitive, soft tip and awsome backbone. Matched up with a Cabelas Tournament ZX baitcaster with a flipping switch, 12LB Suffix mono.