• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cat Tip of the Day: dtro's Hanging No-Roll Sinker

SteveD

Many of us like to use sinker slides on our slip rigs so we can change weights quickly and also to be able to remove the heavy sinker when we transport our rods so that the sinker isn’t beating up the rod blank. I’m a tinkerer by nature so I’ve been in search of the best way to convert a No-Roll sinker since I have a big sinker box full of no-roll sinkers. I posted a Cat Tip of the Day where I made a way to tie a mono loop on a No-Roll so it could hang on a sinker slide. It worked OK but some folks had trouble with it tangling up. Then Darren Troseth posted a picture of some no-rolls that he attached a screw eye to the sinker and just hung it on the sinker slide. I had to try that out so I made a few and my last few times out I’ve used them and I am a convert to dtro’s hanging no-roll. It doesn’t get much simpler but even better is that it works perfectly with the sinker laying nice and flat and the sinker slide providing the slip sinker action. You can change weights on the fly very quickly and at the end of the day clear your sinkers for safe transport home.

I went to Menards and for 99 cents you can buy a package of ten 1 3/16” screw eyes. I drilled a short hole in the end of the No-Roll with a 1/8 drill bit to make the opening slightly larger and used a file to smooth out around the hole to remove any lead burrs and then just screwed in the screw eye. Doesn’t take but a minute. You don’t need to drill all the way through the sinker just go about a ½ inch or so.

Like I said, Darren's Hanging No-Roll works like a charm. Here is a photo of the sinkers I made. Have at it, guys:

HangingNo-RollswithScrewEyes.jpg

Good Fishing!!

hope you guys have better luck with this than what I did.

Not sure if it was a problem with the eye screw threads or low quality lead, but my screws would get wobbly in there, unscrew themselves, and fall out. I mentioned this in the other no-roll thread, but i think it got lost in the excitement after DTRO's post.

not sure what size screw I used, but I didn't have to overbore the no roll hole. maybe that was part of the problem.

I've been using them the last couple of nights with no problem but I drilled mine out with a 1/8 drill bit and put in bigger screw eyes that bite into the lead sinker pretty good. The screw eyes have been tight and firm.

Why not just tie a piece of PP or whatever line you use through the sinker making a large loop....attaching the loop to the sinker slide....its vitually free. One of my fishing buddies does it....works great!

Why not just tie a piece of PP or whatever line you use through the sinker making a large loop....attaching the loop to the sinker slide....its vitually free. One of my fishing buddies does it....works great!

I will have to try that out.

Can,t beat free.

I think there are way easier ways to accomplish that rigging... maybe we'll call it the "Rushing Rig" as Rob showed me this years ago.

A No-Roll with a screw eye in it is really no different than a Flat Bank sinker, except with the flat bank you don' have to worry about the screw eye pulling out. Or shoot... just use a regular bank sinker.

Tie a short loop of mono onto the sinker and then you have your choice of swivels to make the connection to the main line. You can tie it to a snap swivel, than just clip the swivel onto your line. Quick and easy to change weights. You could tie it to a barrel swivel and then thread the other end onto the main line, little bit more permanent. Or you got the sinker slider as well.

You guys are missing the point. Some people have no rolls laying around and would like to use them with a sinker slide. This is a decent option to accomplish that. Obviously when I go to buy more sinkers I will buy bank or flat bank, but why not use up the no rolls that I have?

Hundred different ways to accomplish that, this one works pretty good.

I knew what the "off to the hardware store" was going to be. grin

Instant fix for this is using a 2 part water tight epoxy. I buy the type the has the plunger and the two parts side by side. You can get it at Menards or Wally World. Gather the No- Roll weights after you have drilled the holes in them, then gather your eyelets. You want to beready because this stuff sets up quick. Squeeze out and stir/mix the epoxy, dip the threads that are on the eyelet in the epoxy puddle and then thread the eyelet into the hole you had made in the No-Roll. Let them sit up and I bet you will never get that eyelet to come loose or out ever. wink

I know, I know! For all you haters/doubters & negative Nancey's, I will say it for you:

Hater/doubters: (said in a whiny tone grin) "The epoxy will let off a sent that will cause flatheads not to bite"

Shack: "Well if that is true, wouldn't the 5-8oz's of lead give off something?"

Hater/doubters:: "No! Lead it is not a chemical like the epoxy is"

Shack:: "Ok? Then would you drop a 5oz No Roll in a glass of tap water, let it sit for 10-15 minutes and drink that glass of water down".

Hater/doubters::(said in a whiny tone grin) "Well no!"

Shack::"Ok then."

I am not concerned in the least of a tiny dip in epoxy being included in this. If anything it might attract a fish or two until after a couple uses and the fresh sent if gone for good. smile

Oh, I forgot. Thanks Dtro for doing the leg work on this. I have always thought about doing it because I loved those silver dollar sinkers from Sportsman Warehouse.

That day you went to the hardware store I did try something when I got home though. It failed on the first attempt, but gosh darn it I will try again! grin

I still think if you have "leftover" No-Rolls to use them as is or just give them away, or trade them for your favorite sinker.

That short drop, sliding, 3-way rig is a great way to fish but there's so much easier ways of doing it than fartin' around with screw eyes and epoxy and sinkers pulling off.

Hook, line, sinker. LOL! Keep it simple. grin

I still think if you have "leftover" No-Rolls to use them as is or just give them away, or trade them for your favorite sinker.

That short drop, sliding, 3-way rig is a great way to fish but there's so much easier ways of doing it than fartin' around with screw eyes and epoxy and sinkers pulling off.

I agree 100%! I will even trade people some banks, for no rolls.

For one, short of driving to or shipping them to Henderson for Scott, should a person take out an ad for trading? This when a quick stop at the hardware store on your way home & 10-15 minutes of hobby time, gets you something that you feel is better for the conditions we have this year?

IMO converting my No-Rolls to actually no roll would be less involvement for me than if I just threw them in the bottom of my tackle box and went to Cabella's & bought bank sinkers, which suck in current this year also. grin

Way to easy...No Fun mate.... Catfishin Recon 101... "Improvise!!! Overcome!!! Adapt!!!" Sorry I couldn't resist the Clint Eastwood Quote from Heartbreak Ridge that was on last night, this seemed fitting. crazy

Try a drop of lock tight if u are having problems with the eye not staying locked into the no-roll

The only issue Loctite is that it would not hold up after being under water. If you do a google search of Loctite & underwater, you see they recommend using a Locktite option , but guess what? grin It's Loctite Fixmaster Underwater Repair Epoxy. wink #82093

If you want to put a screw or bolt into your boat under the waterline, do not want it to come loose ever, dabbing a little epoxy on the threads is the only way I have found to do this.

LOL, if only he could lay claim to that one wink

Are you kidding me? you're kidding me right

I would be kidding you if I laid claim to the Darrenteed thing.

Good thing your name isn't spelled with an "i" or it wouldn't work right. laugh

Just throw em in the melting pot and pour some proper sinkers.grin

I like being able to remove the sinkers so they aint banging against my rod during transport plus if they get snagged they pop off instead of losing the whole rig.