• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it possible to detune a mercury?

coombia21

Looking at getting a 2004 mercury 50hp efi I was wondering what is the lowest hp you can detune it to? I am trying to get a motor that I can detune for when we go into the restricted motor areas and retune the motor for when we are fishing in the normal lakes.

Thanks Dan

You may be able to detune it but I don't see it being legal. A 50 will still be considered a 50, regardless if it's detuned or not. And the hastle of dealing with the CO and trying to explain to them what the deal is is enough to make me not think twice about it. Even if you removed the stickers, the size difference between a 50 and a 25 or whatever size you need is enough to make it very noticable.

When we went to alaska all the boats on the kenai river were 35hp because the restriction on the river. Since nobody makes a 35hp motor there was a kit that the manufacturers used to sell that would drop the motor down to 35hp, it is legal to do I just cant find the kit to detune the motor. I have also okayed the idea by a CO in the area of the restricted lake also.

Ok, so after some research I find out there are three different types of detuning kits. Linkage restrictor, Restrictor plate and chip swapping.

The linkage restrictor is the easiest to add and remove(takes only minutes), but only available for carbuerated motors.

Restrictor plates are a bit more difficult to add and remove and again, only available with carbuerated motors.

Chip swapping sounds like it requires a trained mechanic to install and remove and works with EFI motors.

Sorry, I don't know of any manufacturers that sell these, (maybe go directly to Mercury?) But if you do this, make sure you keep the invoice/receipt in the boat with you to make it easier to explain to any CO who may stop you.(I recommend laminating it)