• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A tip on asking to hunt private land.

Boy i coulda save alot of time with this one. Whent up north to look at my cousins land on friday cause I asked his permission to HUNT bear on his land. Yes I suppose thatd be fine he said. So hes giving me a guide tour, an I pick out a mouth water spot that I really want to set up in. We get back to his house sn have some coffee, an talk some more an I tell him that my intentions are to come up once a week an BAIT.......opps. My bad. People that dont hunt bear, dont always put hunting bear an baiting bear together as part of the deal. Something us bear hunters take for granted. He's an elderly man with a near by neighbor lady that he has concerns of her being worried that batibg bear will attract bear an will be running amuck be killing every living organism in the general vacinity. So he's gonna get back to me after he talks to her about it. I know I know, his land his rights so on an so forth but ya got a keep the peace. So we'll see. Just keep in mind to diclose all information involved when asking to HUNT private land, You could save alot of time if ya just word the request right. Later boar

we ran into that same scenerio one private land that was owned by a family (ourselves included). We probably didn't get into bear hunting until five years after the land was bought. None of the co-owners liked that idea and thought we would "ruining" the land. Even on adjoining public land, they still didn't like the idea of us baiting bear. Basically what happened was, to save from fighting, we placed all bear sites far from any place where anyone was deer hunting. I think just educating them that bear are always out there, it seems people forget that until someone starts to hunt them!

Wording is important. Stress what you are going to be doing and what you are NOT going to be doing. We were about 80% last year in ND getting permission to bow hunt deer. Even in the spring when we were looking for places to shed hunt it was important that we didnt say the word "hunt" at alot of places. most of the people didnt know what sheds were but they knew what hunting was and did not like people hunting on their land. So we would just ask to look for some antler sheds, not Shed Hunting.

Well got the phone call today from my cousin, I thought it'd be a few more days to a week but early is good. And i have a green light. I'm so jacked. Good to mention goblue about what a person wont be doing, cause as we talked more, I told him aexactly what I'll be doing an stressed especially what I wont be doing, like cutting live tress to build cribs, which i'd like to do for their weight, but knew he wouldnt approve. So yippee!!! Boar

The tough part about getting permission to hunt anything anymore on private land is the people who do not follow the rules.

I oversee a ranch in North Dakota and I do let only a select few in to hunt that I know. It does not matter if its for bunnies or deer.

Way to many people have broken a few simple rules we have.

Its too bad for the honest people but how does the landowner know who will follow the rules?