• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Zero prep (purchased) camp meals

I'm all for as little hassle as possible when it comes to camp food.

I'm looking for ideas on meals that require little to no prep, perhaps purchased, and can be boiled in a bag at camp. I have a sealer and that is as much prep as I desire.

My ideas are as follows:

Wendy's chili

KFC

Chipotle burrito bowl

Pulled pork

Left over stews, hot dishes, soups, spaghetti

Hot dogs over campfire

Cottage cheese & fruit cups (obviously not boiled in bag)

I would prefer not be cooking food for the trip & would rather buy it pre-made and just heat at in the boil bags.

Ad your ideas to the list.

Anything that you make at home can be vacuum sealed and frozen then reheated in the bag when you are ready for it. I would also think all of your ideas above would be workable.

The real trick is keeping it frozen until you need or want it.

MRE's are a good choice but expensive.

I make soup and sauce ahead of time and freeze them in one gallon zip locks lying flat in the freezer. then I have a 12 X 12 X 1 in deep frozen disk. a few of those packed next to eachother last quite a while. RE your other ideas, bring some extra TP!

The freeze-dried meals sold at ourdoor stores are actually pretty good. There are several from Mountain House and others that I would recommend and there are a few I would never eat again. Its personal preference and of course by trial and error. Almost all of the typical "italian" meals are pretty good. I love the spaghetti, lasagna etc. I like the beef stew also.

All you need is boil water, add to pouch, let sit 5 minutes and eat.

Other things we use are stove top stuffing (or generic), pasta or rice dishes that don't require milk, using pouch chicken or tuna for meat, hamburger/chicken helpers also pepperoni is a safe meat to bring.

One of our favorite camp meals is hamburger helper lasagna with pepperoni's for the meat!!