• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shorefishing for cats:need help

cubicleboy

This year I've had terrible luck shorefishing.I'm looking to go out this afternoon and am looking for some pointers.

I normally try the Mississippi by Ford Dam, Coon Rapids Dam, Mississippi State Park in Anoka etc. Could anyone give me some other decent spots? Not looking to steal your spots-just looking to find out more spots close to the cities, to take my little brother fishing.

Are there any other decent spots on the mississippi not too far from the uptown area? Any good lakes for channels in the area?

Just looking to expand my horizons. Email me at [email protected]

Thanks in advance..just looking to catch some fish

Like RRR said look to the elk river to monticello section of the river. the average fish in this section runs 20 to 24 inches long and about 3 to 5 lbs.there was larger fish is this area but I was told by a fellow cat guy that last Feburary the monticello nuclear plant shut down for a little bit and in a matter of hours the river dropped from 60 degrees down to 30 degrees and started to freeze. this rapid drop in temp killed off alot of different fish including the bigger cats. I remember last summer there was a guy and his kids down at montissippi park and they hooked into a cat that would have went about 8 to 10 lbs had the line not snapped on them. they are around but you have to be patient. I am 4 for 7 in this section of the mississippi.