• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

?gut hook?

bchevycaprice

Ive been fishing with circle hooks and got sick of missing fish so switched to gamu js anyways ive noticed that they get snagged easier and ive also have been gut hooking fish alot more.My question is should we be just cutting the line or yank yank yank tell you get it out.I know of a study they did with muskies and 90 percent of gut hooked fish died,Ive been cutting the line after a couple minnutes of trying to get them dang hooks out

Part of the transition from circles to j's is trying to not let the fish go quite as long.... (easier said than done). You should be using a 10/0. most of the time.

With Flats if they are large enough, you should be able to get your hand down in there and work the hook out with your finger with out damaging the fish.

Don't YANK YANK YANK... you will tear and injure the fish. The Hooks are really to large to leave behind.

Be patient, take your time, Hold the fish tight by the lower jaw.. if you have a boat mate have them hold the lower and upper jaw. (keep it from doing a gator roll while your hand is in there) You won't be able to watch whats going on you will have to work by feel, use your index finger and follow it down to the crook of the hook. AS you work you will need to hold the shank of the hook between the thumb and the lower part of your finger close to the knuckle while pushing with the tip of your finger. Try not to let the hook go or it will rehook. AS it comes free you should be using your index finger as a shield pushing on the tip of the hook to prevent a rehook.

You really can't do it with a glove on so prepare for some rash, There have been times I've had my fingers down in the gullet, but I've gotten over 95% of the hooks out. (The bigger the hook and fish the easier it is... If the fish is so small you can't get your hand down, then you have to cut the line.