• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
mrpike1973

help how do i take or hold a cat to take them off the hook

hello this past weekend i was on the chain of lakes by richmond. got a bunch of cats on a lindy rig with a floating head. they were fun how do i correctly take them off. i'm afraid to hold them and get stung any advice

Depending on the size.... If you can get your hand around them... Let the dorsal spine rest between the thumb and index finger, and try to grasp them with your thumb and middle finger, keeping your thumb and middle finger right behind the pectoral fins, they have bone right there, so it you can grasp it pretty tight. If they are bigger its better to try to pin them to the floor.

If you can get a lip gripper that might be an option as well.

thumb em in the corner of the mouth, theres no teeth to deal with, its just like sand paper

I wouldnt be putting my thumb in a big channels mouth, they can clamp down pretty hard, then flop, with the sand paper teeth, they can tear skin off pretty easy.

Yeah I learned my lesson last year to NEVER stick my fingers in a Channel Cats mouth. Not all of them bite hard, but you get one every now and then that CHOMPS with some serious bite force.

For Channels I use my TC fish grips. They work great but are sometimes hard to fit inside the fish's mouth. For getting the hook out I will pin them down behind the gills against the floor and yank the hook.

You just need a good pair of gloves...I borrowed these awhile back..

Gardening_Gloves.jpg

(I'll try and get um back to ya tonight Larry)

You just need a good pair of gloves...I borrowed these awhile back..

Gardening_Gloves.jpg

(I'll try and get um back to ya tonight Larry)

Ahhh thats okay Dark.... you can keep em..... I got my Hot Pinks going!

I appreciate you making an effort to get them back to the rightful owner though!

Depending on the size.... If you can get your hand around them... Let the dorsal spine rest between the thumb and index finger, and try to grasp them with your thumb and middle finger, keeping your thumb and middle finger right behind the pectoral fins, they have bone right there, so it you can grasp it pretty tight.

this is a typical chain cat, just pick them up as larry described above.....there are not slimy, pokey, prickly, or any other of the seven dwarfs names.

0327001907.jpg

i have been putting my thumb in the mouth of them only once have i had one give my thumb a good once over but it didnt hurt so i guess i keep doing it :P

Mrklean,

I did the finger in the mouth thing once and that was enough. they will chomp you when you least expect it. now I just hold them like in pushbuttons picture. right behind the fins. If it is one I am going to keep as a eater I will just hold it under the gill plate if it is to big to hold like the pic or if they are flopping alot.