• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

224 auger drill

JSK76

I bought SM 10" Mag with the Solo engine last year, I really wanted the Lazer Mag or Pro but It was on sale for $299.00 so I just had to get it. Great auger but I would like something faster and thinking about getting a 224 auger drill in a 8". I would still keep the 10" chipper for in the wheel house and the 224 for run and gun fishing where I would be drilling more holes and the 8" would be better for taking up less space and a bit lighter. I already have the quick disconnect for the auger.

Is the 224 a solid product or do they have more problems then a 2 blade lazer? I know it will cost more to replace the blades but I'm ok with that and I will still have my chipper drill unit for a back up also. Will I gain as much speed to be comparable to a 2.5hp Lazer Mag?

the only issue I could see happen is that instead of 2 blades that could get knocked out of pitch, you would have 4. on the flip side what I heard about the 224 is that when everything is right it cuts amazingly fast.

have two 224's and they are great, havent had an issue with it yet, also have the lazers and its good also, but in my eye a nice sharp blade and a good power head is all you really need

So how much faster is the 224 then your lazer? Just trying to see if I can get my Solo powered Magnum comparable to a Solo powered Lazer Mag.

The Mag engine has a few 1,000 less RPM's than the larger Solo engines, so that will limit your speed. I don't know about the difference between a 2 blade Lazer and a 224, but an 8" Lazer will move a lot of ice real fast as long as you take care of those blades (as with all augers). I'd get an 8" Lazer for $140, and get an extra set of blades for backup when you muck up your initial ones! You'll be amazed at the jump in speed and ease of use compared to the chipper.