• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery Trivia: Name that Problem!

Scoot

OK, I developed a problem with my bow about ten days ago. It took me a while to figure out what was wrong, but I finally have it figured out. I thought I'd describe the problem here and see if anyone can name the problem. I know what caused my problem, so there is a "right answer". But, there are several possible answers to this and it might be an educational dialog to have for people who own bows and will have future problems with them.

Here's what happened ten days ago-- I had my bow sighted in and I was throwing darts with it-- it was the best I've shot, maybe ever. However, one day I started shooting low- about three inches low at 20 yards. I couldn't figure it out. I have to leave when I realized it, but the next day I shot, I was missing about six inches low. Then, I noticed a "creek" coming from the top of my bow when I drew it. It wasn't too loud, but it was noticable. The noise came from somewhere on the top of the bow, but it was virtually impossible to tell if it was coming from the cam, the limb, the limb pocket, etc.

So, two issues that may be seperate or connected: 1) missing 6" low at 20 yards, and 2) a "creek" coming from the top of the bow.

One thing to note- I've had the bow for about four months. I shoot my bow anywhere from two to four times per week this time of year. So, the string/cables/bow are well broken in and it's not a stretching issue.

Question 1: What should I be doing/checking in hopes of finding the cause of my problems?

Question 2: What is the problem(s)?

Wow!!!! "Great Question and Post" shocked I have got to think about this one.

I cannot wait to hear responses. I will think about it and post up something next week.

Later

Steve

Scoot should't you be out muskie fishing right now anyways???? smirk

Not sure what the problem is, but the solution's easy. Bring it to your pro shop. If the bow's only four months old they will surely want to know about any issues.

You can probably tell I'm not much of a tinkering guy when it comes to my equipment, (that's why I shoot a Mathews, no issues grin) it'll be interesting to hear what you all come up with.

Sniper, I've owned Bowtech's and loved them. I've also owned Hoyts and love them too. But, the brand on the bow isn't part of the problem- at least not one that I care to deal with in this thread (accordingly, I won't respond to DonBo's silly post about Mathews not having problems! wink )

Sorgy, yes, I really wish I was out ski fishing right now! No such luck today though...

Sniper, my rest is a Vital Bowgear Kaz-away. It's coming up all the way- I checked that. Good suggestion. That would explain the low shooting, but not the noise.

Since you ruled out the string stretching, I would check the sight, knocking point, and peep to make sure they haven't moved first. Since there was no mention of added vibration I would rule out a cracked limb or riser. The the cam pin may be loose, causing the top cam to rotate improperly. There could be a foreign object in or around the top cam.

I'd say ur sight, rest, or nock point moved, possibly your peep. 3" low at 20 yards? Even with today's fast efficient bows, that's not something I would blame the bow on. Unless maybe a module came loose

I also own a hoyt and have had problems on the bushing/spacers on the axel wearing and causing the cam to tip and improper string travel. It could also be a problem with the rocker in the limb pocket that had failed for some reason.

First I would have thought the peep sight slipped, then possible shooter had some errors, holding incorrect anchor point, but hey its "Scoot", not that option I said.

So now it is mechanical,

Whats the chance the tightening bolt on the end of the riser loosened up?

Any chance at all the string spilt and seperated over the pulley causing the squeak and loss of speed causing the drop?

Do you use a Knock/Loop or either seperately?

Could be they loosened up on the Serving and the it pulled the knocking point off line (would not cause the squeak).

One of the Cam pins come loose and work themselves somewhay loose?

... but hey its "Scoot", not that option I said.

So now it is mechanical...

I'm as human as any of you guys- shooting form is an issue for all of us. However, this was a very abrupt change and it co-occurred with the squeek.

Lots of good thoughts and comments. Here's a tip- the noise and the problem are related. Lots of the thoughts above are very good, but they don't explain both of the problems- they mostly only explain why I might be shooting low. The problem caused both the noise and the change in point of impact.

Keep up the thoughts and ideas- all have been good and all are informative to anyone reading this.

I am going to go out on a limb(no pun intended) and say a cracked limb this will cause the timing to out of whack wich would explain the low shots and a cracked limb will sqeak. Or maybe the top cam got wet maybe from humidity and the axle rusted a bit.

I would agree with the rusted axle, but if the limb was cracked there would also be a signifigant amout of vibration. I would also agree to the above mentioned bushing being bad, on a Hoyt, this also can cause the point of impact change.

well I think it's one of two things. But it's squeaky so that rules out something loose {In my opinion}. Sounds like a frictional issue.

When you have friction or drag we know it causes a loss of effeciency. Friction can be accumulative and progressive. Your bow's tuned as far as groups but loosing effeciency on speed. If the sight pins are loose, they'll slide down and that would raise the impact point.

I'm all in

Lots of good thoughts and ideas here. The first thing I did was check to make sure nothing had moved. I knew there was a reasonable chance that the noise and the low impact were not related. However, everything was good and nothing had moved. The let me to believe that the noise and low impact point were related and I had a problem with the limb being cracked or the guts of the cam (not the cam itself, but the bearing, bushings, or axle associated with the cam). I checked the cam over really carefully- just visually inspecting it. That looked good. I checked the limb over carefully under a really good light- looked good.

Last, I took off the string and cables and felt the cam- it was a little sloppy! Aha! I pulled the axle out and checked it and it was good (rolled true on a flat surface). That meant the bearing itself must be bad. I talked to Hoyt and my parts are in the mail as of 6:00 this morning.

Lots of good thoughts and suggestions here! A few people mentioned the bushing- I'm guessing you actually meant the bearing when you said the bushing (not trying to put words in anyone's mouth, but I'd guess that's what you meant). Regardless, great detective work everyone!

Hope that takes care of it for ya Scoot. I guess if you're gonna have problems with the equipment it's better now than in about 3 months from now.