• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Algoma/Keewaunee whose going in July?

Nice job Cheeta! It was nice meeting you this weekend, I wish we had luck on our side , Sat. nite was ok with only 3 fish but sizes were good with a 18, 13, and a 10 lber . we never made it out sunday morning because of mechanical probs again so we were on the road at 5:45 am headed home.

Jar Jar

Great job cheetah, you guys were on them good. We did pretty well out of Algoma last weekend with Saturday night being the best outing of the weekend. We pulled moonshine spoons off dipsies, full core off boards and off the riggers we ran spoons and flasher flies. The 1# snap weight rig down the chute didn't boat a fish all weekend. Only picked up 2 fish off flashers and flies. Hot spoons were rapture, happy meal and wonderbread. J-plugs didn't produce for us but the spoon bite was good. Ended the weekend with a 3 man limit of kings 5-20#'s average was about 15#'s. The dypsies set at 150-175 back on 30# powerpro were getting ripped and the riggers were taking quite a few fish. Most productive depths were 50-75' down. We worked about 5 miles north and got out away from the pack and fished between 90 and 130' of water. Marked a ton of fish all weekend belly to the bottom in the 115-120' range. Saturday night the fish were active all the way into 60' of water from the bottom to the surface. Had two fish that broke off and took a happy meal spoon and a rapture spoon with them after 30 minute battles which was disappointing. Had my share of mechanical problems having to tear apart the boat and replace a bilge line that had a hole worn into it so it cut Thursday night short on the water just before prime time. Got in Saturday and noticed the winch stand had a crack on one side and was broke on the other right below the roller so had to take that in and get it welded. Overall, the fishing was very good and we had the spot we were at all to ourselves most of the weekend which I think helped put some fish in the boat. After two weekends in the last three over there I'm out of kitchen passes so I'll have to start gearing up for fall walleye trolling and deerhunting now grin Good luck to all of you heading over, there are some big fish moving in and with the cooler water temps August is looking like it will be a banner month over there.

Tunrevir~

Good meeting you too Jar Jar, too bad you guys had all those boat problems. Next time bring the shore rods and cast from the pier in town. If you have a small inflatable boat or small kayak you can also cross the water to the big rock wall and cast off that with no competition for fish.

Tunrevir, it's interesting you went north from Algoma. There were a couple groups from Salmon Harbor who ran up north almost to Algoma I heard and were in some big fish. They caught two over 20lb and lots of other big fish. Your dipsy and rigger depths were pretty much the same as ours, just slightly different spoon colors.

I dug out the old charcoal smoker my dad gave me a few years back and am going to get that fired up. The Salmon University HSOforum has an easy recipe that my friend Sutty says is really good, so I'm going to give that a try.

My tentative plan is to go out again on the 14th/15th with my dad.

I use a brown sugar, apple juice and salt brine for mine and they come out sweet and salty Pretty simple really just use apple juice instead of water, your normal amount of salt to apple juice and depending on the amount 1/2 to 1 bag of brown sugar. I use a full bag to about 5 gallons of brine. I also like to add a little garlic salt into the mix as well, about a tablespoon per gallon of liquid. There were a ton of people straight out and south of town so we headed out away from the herd. Less issues with people trolling into your spread and across your leadcore. Good luck when heading out there next let us know how you do. Try those wonderbread moonshine spoons they were hot off the riggers, in the dark and during the later hours in the am and early pm, rapture was good off the core and riggers as well.

Tunrevir~

August 14/15

Saturday morning we had a lot of hits, but few actual boated fish. We caught three, best was 13lb 10oz. Lost one on the dips half way to the boat, had four more that just hit us and were gone. All were on glow spoons except the one dipsy was a glow flasher/fly. Spent our day in the 140-170 fow area with everyone else.

Saturday night was very slow, finally caught one after sunset, saw a bunch of other fish being caught around us, frustrating. Same depth range as the morning.

Sunday morning was our best, we had the glow spoon pattern figured out and picked up 5 fish, missed 3 or 4. Had a double that we almost got both on, I horsed in the first one on the dipsy to the boat and ended up on the wrong side of the motor for my dad to net and the spoon caught the net and the fish got off. The second fish we landed though. Best fish on Sunday was 14lb 8oz. Again everything was on glow spoons, even in the hour or so after sunrise when we started running everything deeper. All of our fish came in the 140-150 range.

We had heard the fish were biting on flasher/fly combos most of the week, but we couldn't get it to work. Probably 75% of our hits were on the MS V-Neck pattern on the riggers. Magnum one on Saturday, and the smaller size one on Sunday.

Cheetah, we were there as well Fri, Sat, & early Sun am. We landed 4 Fri am and 2 Fri evening. Sat am we had 7 and Sat evening 2. Sun am we fished 5am to 7:30 before leaving and were skunked. Most all fish were caught on flasher-fly combos. We were fishing more shallow (primarily 100-130 ft). Most fish were caught on riggers 90-110 down, a few on leadcores, and a couple on dipsys. The dispys were not as effective as they usually are for us. Also, we lost 3 fish where the fly broke just above where it is tied to the hook. Talked to a guy at the ramp about this and he commented that has been a problem with Howie flys and he always reties. Havent had that experience before but think i will retie next year. how deep were you running your riggers?

We got most of our fish with dipsys out 150+ and riggers down 50-60ish. I picked up one on Saturday on a 4 color behind a board with glow spoon. Everything else was down deeper though. After the morning bite we tried running the riggers down to 100 and still weren't picking any up. A friend of ours was out in the 200+ fow area and picked up quite a few fish through lunch with riggers down 100+ and blue flasher with white/glow flies. We tried that in around 160fow area but it didn't produce anything. We could see fish down deep that we were dragging it past, but they wouldn't take it.

The wind last week blew the colder water out.We had to go out to 300ft. just tofind fishable water.Most of the fish where down 120ft.Crowm with aqua flie was best.The only boards that where firing was the 15 color lead,And 450 copper with spoons.Hoping this west wind helps the water in closer.Should be over there about 4:00 pm.Ill report on fishing next week.Good luck fishing!

Fishing was great this past weekend! The water got better inside,Got 80% of are fish in 140 ft. 80 ft. down.White U.V. flasher was the hotest.WE got are crew 57 fish.We had 1 laker 3 steelhead & the rest where kings,Most where 4yr.old fish.Onthe boards,The 300 copper & 450 did best.For spoons the happy meal,bloodynose & flame thower where good. We will be back out there thurs. night. Are crew just four guys,So I hope the weather is in are faver. I am looking for 2 guys for labor day weekend.