• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Algoma/Keewaunee whose going in July?

Anybody heading out in July? I have two 4 day weekends planned for the 14-17 and the 29-1st. The first weekend we'll be in Keewaunee but will probably run north towards Algoma and the second weekend we will be in Algoma. Looking foreward to getting after some bows and kings!

Tunrevir~

Yep, I look foreward to the sleep deprivation and the hard pulling salmon every year! Cheffrey and his crew usually head over about the same time as me every year. Met a couple guys a few years back. Kind of nice to compare notes. Sounds like the spoon bite is picking up, the clay banks have been doing well up towards Sturgeon bay and they have been getting into quite a few fish out of Port Washington. The guys going out of Algoma have been doing prettygood as well and there even has been some fish caught off the pier early a.m. I been going through my tackle and gear getting ready to rock. It is going to be a long 3 weeks!

Tunrevir~

Sutty and I are planning to head over the last two weekends of July. I will probably make another run out in August with my dad. Also considering a third July run with my dad if I can find the time, but nothing is planned yet.

The island can be awsome! I stayed at a friends out there last year and we fished the island and did well. Some brutes up there and the bait clouds are unreal! We fished rock island the year before and did well out there as well. Good luck! Sounds like there are fish being caught all along the door county area.

Tunrevir~

I'll be there Thursday by around noon. I'm fishing off my buddys boat THE HOBBYSHOP. He is docked there. I'll have the Crestliner out as well for some easy put in evening fishing if it presents. Gonna leave the boat out there for my eventual return in 2 weeks. Give a holler for Tunrevir on the radio or stop by the dock and introduce yourself. Hopefully we will have hit them good early and be back at the dock having a cold one! I am the guy that is wearing a faded navy blue hat with a white Mickey Mouse logo.

Tunrevir~

Keewaunee report. Caught a few bows up high on spoons like green dolphin, blaze orange proking, smaller monkey puke off boards with 5 and seven colors of LC. Caught our salmon on a variety of spoons, and flasher flies combos. Pearl spoons did well the first evening and then mag glow spoons like a moonshine happymeal, hotlips, rapture, rainbow. Chrome flashers with blue aquaflies got hit on both dypsies and off riggers. Ended the weekend with a 3 man limit. Biggest salmon was 18#, biggest steelhead was 10# Great weekend and the weather cooperated for the most part.

Tunrevir~

Thanks for the report tunrevir, we are headed back to kewaunee the weekend of the 30-31 & 1st. We were over there the 8th through the 11th and did well but alot of shakers, did you have alot of shakers this trip or were the fish running larger?

Jar

We had alot of shakers and put back some fish. The bigger fish for us were both deeper 110-125' and then shallow late in the morning 65-70'. I think alot depends on the water temps and the breaks which makes "structureless" structure out there on the water. Another thing is that with all of the rain and heavy runoff there were "dirty water" areas and clean water areas. If you don't own a subtroll, fishhawk or some sort of device that can give you readings at the ball for both temp and speed it can be a slight disadvantage. If you are like me and don't own one of these devices then you really need to pay attention to your downrigger lines and see if they are blowing back(indicates current opposite of what path you are trolling) or vice versa. If your rigger lines are straight down you need to push the speed up slightly due to a current pushing the ball towards the boat if the ball is blown way back then take a little off the speed. Cross current your lines will sway to one side and the SOG reading on the GPS can be fairly accurate. Our best speeds this past weekend were between 1.8 and 2.2 mph. My depthfinder might be reading 3+ mph when trolling with a current and the same with the SOG but if the rigger cables are straight down I know my spread isn't going to be nearly as productive because the lures at the ball aren't moving at the same speed as the boat. Hope this makes sense for you guys but you have to take into acount the currents that you can't see due to temp breaks. Warm and cold water can act alot like clouds and air during thunderstorms. Jar Jar, I am heading over again the same weekend weather permitting so call for Tunrevir on the radio if you are out. I am either going to stay in Keewaunee or the in Algoma depending on the reports.

Tunrevir~

They had storms blow through last night. I just got off the phone with my dad, water temps are going down as the warm water blows out. Hopefully will improve fishing for this coming weekend. It was 70F surface temps last weekend. We don't have a depth raider rigged up though to know the lower temps, but from what we heard it was warm all the way down. My dad said he is seeing 65F surface temps today.

We did well with a variety of blue/green magnum spoons on riggers down 60+, dipsy out 150. The usual morning/evening bite was no good for us with glow baits. Steelhead were doing well up high on 2 and 3 color lead behind boards with orange spoons.

I read on another forum that in Algoma yesterday morning they pounded em in 120-150 fow, down 40, with glow spoons. That guy also said charters were coming in early as well with limits.

Nice pics Cheeta! I noticed on NOAA that the surface temps are cooling down around Kewaunee as of this morning. I see that there are some low 60's and upper 50's according to the map. We are headed back to Salmon Harbor right after work on Friday!!

I'll post When we get back

Jar

We did well out there this past weekend. Spoon bite continued, though very little consistency in colors taking the fish, only caught maybe two on flasher/fly combos. Fished in the rain Sunday morning, that sucked, still caught some fish though. We did our best in the deeper water, 150-250 again. Went away from the crowds, partially since we had a rookie in the boat doing a lot of the driving, and also because we just didn't catch anything in the crowds...

Best fish was 17lb, caught a couple 15lb, and a bunch more in the 10-12 range. Higher average weight than last weekend for sure. Only caught one or two steelhead though, not sure where they disappeared to.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg