• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
jFast

Ely area Lakes?

I plan on heading up to St. Louis county this weekend to fish Walleye/Northern. Has anyone ever fished White Iron, Garden, or Farm lake? If so, any tips, hints, locations, colors? Thanks

Yes -

White Iron - My buddy just got back from there and they caught a lot of walleye. It was slow and steady for them, picking up one or two here and there all day. They never really found a "hot spot", but ended up with a lot of fish. The one trip I fished it, I did about the same.

I fished Farm a few times. Walleyes around the sunken islands. Crappies if you can find them. Nice sunfish too. I got a 32" northern.

I have not fished Garden.

Ask the local resorts on the lake or bait shops they can give you more up to the minute reports. Walleyes and Crappies were on leeches, sunfish on crawlers, Northern was on a minnow. I used jig heads, spinners, and slip bobbers most of the time. Tossed some artificial as well, but mostly live bait.

jfast, you should also ask this question in the Duluth/BWCA/Ely board as well. Also don't be afraid to familiarize yourself with the search function, there is tons of info in there that pertains to your question. Good luck and let us know how you did!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• yea but i've seen you fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😩😜 i've never had issues with hose melting or found it to be inconvenient, but to each there own. i have concidered an 11 lb tank!
    • Here's an old post I found about the WI explosion:   mtbucket Posted February 6, 2012 Thoughts and prayers to this man and his family. It makes me wonder if he was one of the guys that said " I have done it for years with no problems". POLK COUNTY (WCCO) — One person is dead and another is in the hospital after a garage explosion and fire Saturday, according to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office. The Sheriff’s Office says the incident occurred at 657 U.S. Highway 8 in Apple River Township. Stanley Johnson, 81, was inside the garage “actively filling a small 1 lb LP cylinder from a larger 20 lb tank” when the small tank ruptured and ignited the escaping gas. Johnson’s wife, 77-year-old Nancy Johnson, was in the garage area when the explosion occurred. She was pronounced deceased on scene. Stanley Johnson was able to escape the garage. He was transported to Amery Regional Medical Center for treatment of his injuries
    • I remember the pictures you posted of your neighbors house. Those pictures along with the news paper article about the guy from WI that blew up his garage and killed his wife were enough to convince me not to refill 1lb tanks.
    • Just my opinion but I find the 1 pounders to be convenient. I used to hook up a hose to my mr. Heater/Cooker years ago and run off a 20 pounder and I almost melted through the hose. I never found dealing with a hose and a tank to be as convenient as using the 1 pounders.    For me, if it were all about saving a couple of bucks, I would just buy my fish in a store. It seems funny to me that guys that spend thousands of dollars to sit on a sheet of ice and catch fish would risk their safety trying to save a couple of bucks on propane.   But again, that's just my opinion.
    • Thanks for all the info fellas! I ended up buying two 140 mm fans, but have only installed one.  I decided to take it one step further and install a thermo fan switch. I actually ended up buying the switch and mounting plate directly from empire for $30. This way the fan cycles with the heat. The switch kicks in about 5 min after the heat turns on and runs from about 5 min after it turns off. Using the switch should keep things more consistent.  I wired it up to a SPDT On-Off-On switch so that I can run it either in thermoswitch mode or manual.   As far as the fans go, the 140 mm seem are quieter and draw less (0.16 amp) than the 120 mm fans due to the reduced RPM requirements. One thing that I did notice though is that although they are rated high on the CFM scale, they do not seem to have near as much pressure as the smaller fans. I understand why that is, but not sure if the lower pressure will make a difference in pushing air over the heat exchanger. That was one reason that I left room for two  
    • A guy would probably want to buy a back up canister, at that price you could buy a 5lb and save a couple bucks. 
    • I like both so I smoke for about 2 hours and finish in dehydrator.
    • will stay with this method. dont want to be filling that thing every night.  I have a dozen that I keep reusing . 
    • 20 pounder in my sled aint gonna happen. 
    • Been there done that. Not worth refilling. I'll stick to my 20 lbers!