• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Huge Trade for Blackhawks

I knew that this had to happen, just did not think it would move so quickly. Hawks dumped Big Buff, Dustin Byfuglin, Brent Sopel and Big Ben Eager to the Thrashers for draft picks and a nobody player. Hawks were in salary cap hell as most of the superstars are already signed and take up almost all of their salary cap. They knew they would have to dump players so they did it to a team that could not possible hurt them in the near future. The Thrashers were in the opposite shape of the Hawks, they were too far below the salary cap so they did not mind taking on the salaries.

I wish all three good luck, except on the nights they are playing the Black Hawks!

These may not be the only trades but are the ones for today.

I think the Hawks might have to unload a few more role players like Big Buff. Might be a fire sale for teams that are not going anywhere but need to start rebuilding, like the Wild. I could see maybe Adam Burish being let go and maybe Christobal Huet. Hawks should still be the favorite to repeat but will have to let a few of there fringe guys go. No chance of touching any of the core players, IMO.

Yeah, the Hawks won't be the same team next year. I wouldn't say Buff was a role player...more like power forward.

Windy - Can you talk to the Hawks upstairs and put in a good word for us when they are ready to trade Sharp? laugh

I'm getting the feeling the Hawks might just hang on to Sharp. They have a pretty unbelievable core right now with Hossa, Kane, Towes, and Sharp. Not to mention Keith and Seabrook. Just fit some pieces around those guys and you are going to have a winner a lot of the time.

I have heard both of those names batted around. Hossa would fix everything but I do not think, nor would I want them to dump him. I have heard Sharpie's name mentioned too. Gonna get tense around here. I would not put Big Buff in the power forward status just yet and neither did the Hawks. True he had a great playoff run but if you look at his numbers overall he is just average. He has never cracked the 20 goal or 40 point mark (I think, did not check for sure) and that is the word as to why the Hawks let him go. Again, hard choices but that salary cap is non negotiable and everybody has to do it, Penguins did it, Hawks will do it, they should still be the odds on favorite going into next year. I do not think they will touch their core.

If you guys didn't sign Campbell to that monster contract all those years back I think a lot of your problems would be solved but now I think you are stuck with him.

Buff has got close to 20 (19,15,17 this year) but I think you guys are smart to move him because his value could have peaked right now. He certainly might bag 30 goals some day with the right line mates and he was a beast this year in the playoffs but I don't think he is as important as some of your other players.

I would tend to agree with you Bear, now was the time. Good article in the Tribune by Dan McNeil today saying that this was the perfect guy to dump. He was at his peak, probably no where to go but down. Brian Campbell did cost some cap money but he has been one of the anchors on D for the Hawks along with Duncan Keith. Hawks dumped some more, more to come. Nothing major.

Ladd just got dumped too Geno! The Hawks have been very smart so far, they have dumped guys who were question marks, not solid core players. Say what you want but when they win it again next year nobody will remember the fringe players who fell by the wayside like Big Buff and Versteeg and Ladd, they will still be talking about Kaner, Toews, Sharp and Niemi. Trust me on this one Geno, Hawks will field the exact same 14 or 15 core players needed and fill in with role players who will step up next year just like Big Buff and Versteeg did this year. It is a necessary evil in hockey and I think that Bowman is very good at shedding the necessary dollars while sacrificing as little as possible to their success. They will be just as fast, sharp passing and solid defensively as they were this year. You gotta have faith and you should be the King of Faith being a Cubbie fan!!! 103rd times the charm, right! LOL

It's going to be tough to find that many role players that all do their jobs well and step up at the right times. This year will not be the same as last for the Hawks. It was a good run while it lasted. I'm not saying they'll be terrible, but I don't think they'll be running for the cup come next June.

From TSN

The San Jose Sharks have signed Blackhawks restricted free agent defenceman Niklas Hjalmarsson to a free agent offer sheet, signing the defenceman to a four-year, $14 million dollar contract.

Chicago has seven days to match the offer. If the team does not match it, they will receive San Jose's first and third round picks in the 2011 NHL entry draft.

Hawks have 7 days to sign him and get into even more cap trouble or let him walk for San Jose's 1st and 3rd rounders in the 2011 draft. Interesting dilemma.

They are in trouble either way. The have just over 3.5 in cap space left so if they sign him they only have 9 forward and 5 D on the rost, oh and 1 goalie too. If they don't sign him they only have 3 credible D plus a John Scott and they are still in a little trouble.

This is like a soap opera for hockey fans.

Too bad the Wild can't get in a mess like this, after winning the cup of course.