• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Muskie Rod

I am looking at a new muskie rod and wondering what the best fit is for a fishermen who is looking to throw DCG's, Jerkbaits, Top Water, Deep Divers, and looking to troll. I am thinking 7'6 to 8' rod heavy? Any opinions out there that have good or bad experience with long/short, heavy/medium rods?? Thanks in advance for any advice!!

8 foot fast extra heavy for sure the only time I have found a use for a shorter one is when erraticly jerking Walk the dog top waters with downward short quick snaps. Longer rod will be better for figure 8's and casting, along with trolling and running heavier lures. I have a 7'7" G Loomis Bucktail rod and a 8 foot St. Croix for trolling. May have some extra rods as I just upgraded. handintank at yahoo dot com Good luck Steve

IMO for an all around rod, 8'H, not all heavies are created equal though, just make sure that it won't load up on the figure 8 on double 10s, I have used 8'H rods in the past that say they are rated to 12oz and I could't throw DCGs with them because they would almost snap on the figure 8 but I have used some 8'H rated to 6oz and they handled it just fine.

To me it also depends on how tall the boat is you mostly fish out of, I still like a 7'2-7'6 for gliders, jerk-baits and WTD but I could use my 8 fters but I I don't like the tip hitting the water that's my preference. If we are fishing out of a super high boat, it doesn't matter as much.

I bought a 9' XH TI rod over the winter, great feel and well worth the monies, plus should you ever have a problem with it James at TI is awesome to deal with.

I use the TI rod for dbl 8', 9', 10's,12's and 13's and is paired up with a Saltist 30TH, it's a good match and balances on the rod well.

One thing I have noticed about the handle is it almost feels like the sleeve in the main handle is coming out a little when I get to it too tight. Also, I haven't yet cause I can't seem to find it in the mess I call my garage but teflon tape will keep the handle tighter.

Just recieved my Okuma 8'6 H (2-8 oz) in the mail yesterday.

I will use this rod primarily for double 10s. Some really good sticks rave about this setup. For 119.00 you can't go wrong---I am looking forward to trying mine paired with a Revo Torro 60 Winch.

If you go 8' the shimano compre XH is a good choice. Works well for 10s and dawgs and after upgrading all my rods to 9' I use the 8' compre for a jerkbait rod. Was using the 7' 2" before but I like the lenght of the 8 a little better. I can still work a hellhound, big daddy, or a weagle with it just fine.

Your looking for a total compromise if you want 1 stick to do everything but from what you listed I think the compre would be a good choice. Make sure and get the XH. The H is WAY to light for dawgs and big blades.