• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strait Leadcore or Precision Trolling's system ?

MuskieJunkie

I'm rigging up some new rods for leadcore trolling and I can't decide if I should run strait leadcore with a simple leader or use the Precision Trolling (aka the trolling bible) system (50' mono leader, 3 colors of lead, and then mono).

Anyone have anyexperience or insight that could sway me one way or the other. I'm new to using strait leadcore line and really like it but by going with the Precision Trolling system I would be able to use their dive charts. Thanks guys.

You can still use your deep divers. What the book does not say is what will a lure run with straight leadcore (I use the 27#) when pulled at 1 mph or if run at 3 mph? I know going slower may help them go deeper, faster they go shallower. I use only 20 ft of clear line as a leader, sometimes it may be 10# smoke fireline for strained or low light fishing. Sometimes you may need to just try different things out on a known depth of water, speeds and baits.

I also use a line counter reel for more precision, and another linecounter combo for the snap-weight section. Can spread lures out, and 1 lure maybe follow another, if fish missed the 1st bait, it gives them another shot.

How much LC you want to spool is going to help you make the decisions as to what to go with. 3 colors is great for most lake applications and should easily get you into the 20+ foot range depending on your leader length and the type lure you will be using. If you typically fish deeper then you'll want to go with more segements of leadcore. You can experiment with different leader lengths off the LC. I typically run 10-25' leads depending on water clarity. The shorter leads will give you a better feel for what the lure is doing then the longer leads. The nice thing about going with segments is you won't need a high capacity reel like you would if you spool with 5-10 colors.

Tunrevir~

90% of the use is probably gunna be done in less than 25' FOW.

The precision trolling system can get you to depth as deep as 30 or 35' but that's with about 250' of line out and you have to going under 1 mph.

I'm probably over thinking this and should just go with the PT system, anyone else have any input?

You can still use your deep divers. What the book does not say is what will a lure run with straight leadcore (I use the 27#) when pulled at 1 mph or if run at 3 mph?

Jim

If you search lead core dive chart under images online you can find a chart that will show you that. 1-4mph I printed off a copy and taped it into my trolling book.

I used to use segmented leadcore (ie. what you're calling the precision trolling system, where you have a segment of 3 colors tied between your leader and your backing). Now I mostly use strait leadcore.

Strait leadcore will give you more depth, especially if you want to troll faster than 2 mph, and will do it with less line out. The rule of thumb I use is 5 feet for each color of leadcore at 2 mph, and I adjust from there.

I recently purchased a couple of leadcore rods and always hear 5 ft of depth per color but what do you add for the crankbaits actual dive curve. Do you divide the cranks depth in half as suggested or do you use the max depth of the crankbaits dive curve?

muskie

The length of the leader will affect the depth to a degree. A longer lead with larger lipped baits will allow them to run at their dive curve depth for castiing, we are talking 30-50' leads but when you shorten your leads up you will run about half the depth say 10-25' leads. Shallow lipped baits won't vary much from the actual depth of the leadcore on short leads which is nice for snaggy bottoms, trolling over submerged treetops and weeds. Best way though, is just get out and play with your trolling runs and lead length untill you get it dialed in where you want it.

Tunrevir~

I agree, shallow running cranks won't run much deeper than the lead regardless of leader length, but deep diving cranks will definately run deeper than the lead, and the longer your leader is the deeper they will run. You can use Precision Trolling to see how much deeper they'll run if you know the length of your leader. And be aware, dropping your speed will cause the lead to sink, and your crank will run deeper for a few moments --- which may be enough to pick up some junk from the bottom.

And be aware, dropping your speed will cause the lead to sink, and your crank will run deeper for a few moments --- which may be enough to pick up some junk from the bottom.

Good tip, I learned that lesson the hard way. I stopped to land a fish and the other lead line sank to the bottom and snagged, 3 colors worth of lead and an Xrap gone. cry