• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vermillion Tuesday 6/22

Scudly

Fished with Jon Mayer for a few hours. Jon got a bullhead, I got one brown. Fishing was slow for whatever reason. We put in our time at the good spots. Beers in hand drinking until 9:30. Hot and muggy. Wild parsnip in full bloom, watch out mad

SummerSolstice101.jpg

SummerSolstice102.jpg

SummerSolstice103.jpg

Each time I go to the V I catch fish just not always trout. Northerns, suckers, bullheads, chubs too. Only caught trout 4/9 outings this year. However one outing I got two 20" browns out of one pool within 30 minutes of fishing.

Scudly... what are you throwing at them on the V... just curious never tried down there but I would like to. Im always near by my parents live in farmington now... I hear people just use a split shot and crawler...

Yep Jon Mayer from Hastings. I use split and crawler, split and live chub (hooked in mouth), split and chub tail (head cut off), large spinners, x-rap gold. Fish caught here on 3/8 oz all silver Panther Martin spinner (#9).

So each time I go I catch fish however only 4/9 outings this summer have I caught brown trout. Worth it though if you are looking to catch a biggie.

Jon likes to hunt big trout like myself. Worm and x-rap seems to be his two main choices. I am more worm and big PM spinners. Jon has been fishing the V over 20 years and has it mastered. He has five 20" or larger this year. I am still stuck at three 20" browns but the season ain't over yet...

How long have you lived in Hastings? Do you mainly fish the V or variety of streams?

Have lived in hastings my whole life; and have had the river in my back yard (about a strong 9 iron off the deck) for about 23 years. I fish any thing and anywhere. Trout are a big passion. hope to be in canada chasin brookies in a couple weeks! How do you know Jon? You originally from Eagan?

Were you guys fishing on private land or public? If it was public where was it? The only places I can find are the park in Farmington and that one public hunting are in Farmington.

thats about all you have for public, the shoreliine of the V is mostly Private. There are alot of owners who want nothing to do you you near there land. Others could care less! I would highly reccomend getting a map from the DNR, very helpful resource. There is other public easments and other city/ county property around. Along w/ your map, get a plat book! There are alot of biggies in there. My Daughter caught a beautiful 26" Male last year right about this time. I'm still waiting to get that 30" er!!! IT WILL HAPPEN!

If you google Dakota County GIS you will find a program to ID who owns what. Then get out whitepages, make some calls. Or knock on doors. That is what Jon and I do. Or you can get in at any bridge as long as you keep your feet wet. Easement 20 feet from bridge I believe. I have asked several landowners, nobody has shut me down. We don't even bump into other fishermen!

I grew up in Maple Grove however have been living in Eagan since 2002. Initially met Jon on IDO. Yeah Jon is also holding out for that 30" brown. I think both of you will get one too. Jon has got two 28" browns. What I am amazed is these trout are as far downstream as Hastings.

BTW my avatar is of a 20" humpback brownie I caught this season on the V.

My daughters big one came right from the back yard. i think the stream has changed a little over the last few years. Not finding quite as many big ones... Not sure if has to do w/ water temp or fishing pressure. I have only seen one come out over 30" and I know there are more! These fish sure make it easy to become a true trout bum!!! I strated on the V and it has taken my to all corners of the MN, Ontario, Arkansas, Missouri, Washington and Oregon. Not many places I won't head to for some fish!