• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's been quiet around here....

.....anybody out paddling lately??

I got out a couple weeks ago, this stretch of unpredictable weather that we've had has prevented me from getting out as much as I would like. I had a girl in a bikini pass me on one of those stand up paddle boards last time out. Yes, I slowed down, I'm a gentleman, ladies first. wink That's an interesting watercraft, might be fun to try one once. The thing I would like about it would be the viewpoint one has, it sure is hard to see what's going on underwater when paddling a canoe. Even with polarized sunglasses, a persons sight lines are limited by being so close to the surface of the water in a canoe or kayak.

Anybody have any trip reports to post? Funny stories? Big fish stories? Heck, even little fish stories. smile

Since I broke my leg I've been beached. Before that, I was on several stretches of the Minnehaha Creek. With all this rain its been very easy to get down the creeks.

I'm hoping to be mobile again in July so hopefully I can take the boat out for a bit. I still think I will try a BWCA trip. We'll see.

I've been out in my canoe just once this year. In the SW MN prairieland, it's really tough to find more than one day a month when the wind isn't blowing.

WIND.....that's a four letter word around here, unless of course it's at your back. smile

Iv'e been out about 6 times since we got our kayaks 3 weeks ago. Mostly just the GF and I paddling around the local river, one trip down a small creek after some rain, and this past sat my dad and I did some fishing for the better part of a day. Picked up 15 walleyes, 10 smallies, and about 10 chubs...

011n.jpg

002cvy.jpg

005csv.jpg

007de.jpg

010rm.jpg014kkg.jpg

042tn.jpg

I was supposed to be up on Kekekabic this week with my daughter but got a job. Figured I better take the job while I can, been off for five months. Did get to go in a couple weeks ago to Pine Lake off of the Arrowhead trail. Was at the cabin near there and thought I'd troll for lakers on Pine and check out Johnson Falls. Got really lucky with the wind. There wasn't any. Pretty rare for that lake to be so calm. No trout but had a nice time.

This last weekend I was up in Bayfield for a race on Madeline Island. I think I'll go back to camp and try kayaking around some of the islands. Pretty nice around there.

Dark Cloud......You have some great paddling territory out there from the looks of those shots. Also looks like a ton of fun. Did you guys leave a drop off vehicle or paddle back up stream on those river paddles??

Even though they're predicting T-Storms tomorrow around here, I think I'm going to bring the canoe into work and see if I can sneak out in the afternoon.

chuckwagon....The only creek that really jumps to mind is Minnehaha, or seeing that you're in Chaska, maybe the MN River would be a destination?

Duffman - We brought two vehicles for that trip as we covered about 6-7 miles of river. It's about an hour from home. Sat the GF and I may do another section of that river. I have some friends that will be around there so we'll take one car and just shuttle. There are a few fly shops that offer reasonable shuttle service there also...

I've been out probably a dozen times since opener.. Breaking in the new canoe has been a blast! Big bass, big pike, and fly fishing for sunnies has me really appreciating being able to get away from shore.

Now I'm chasing my first musky via canoe, no luck so far on that front but I've only been out with my musky rod the one time this year.

My wife and I have been out a few times a week since we bought our kayaks about 6 weeks ago; as first timers to kayak fishing we are hooked for life, and have even gotten our daughters out in them, too, which is a blessing. We've been hitting a few small lakes around CrossLake and Breezy Point and as is the norm, she has been outfishing me, but that is the way I prefer it. Hooking into any fish from a kayak gets the heartrate going, but watching my wife and daughters' excitement for the combined sport(s) gets into the soul.

I chickened out on Friday and went for a paddle on Saturday instead. Fished what I'd call a large storm containment pond, half the lake was dirty from the new water coming in, and the other half was somewhat clear. Usually, I've never had much luck out there after a heavy rainfall, so I wasn't expecting much.

The only place I found fish that wanted to play was on the outside edges of some sunny beds. Saw a big swirel and tried a topwater, missed on the first strike, and on the second strike I yanked the lure right pass my face and onto the other side of the canoe. Followed up with a throw back lure - rubber worm. Problem was she picked it up and ran right towards me, I frantically reeled and tried to pick up slack and set the hook at the same time. We were both in about a foot and a half of water, she jumped and tossed the worm from about six feet away. I never even got enough leverage to set the 5/0 hook thru the worm, very frustrating, even more so 'cause I thought the bass might of gone 4-6 lbs.

Ended up with three other bass in the 2-3 lb range, they were all harrassing sunnies in a simular location, but you always think about the one that got away. I can still see that big ol' head coming out of the water in slow motion and almost handing back my offering. smile

I paddled the Mpls lakes yesterday. Just a ton of folks paddling all sorts of craft out there. A few were fishin, I only caught one fish, a 40" tiger muskie. I was 25 yards out from a swimming beach and landed it at the beach. It was raining so I didn't attempt a picture, it was a personal best tiger though.

I'm a little sore today, put on some miles and fished all four lakes. Spent some time dodging rain showers under the bridges and the culvert into Brownie. Anybody else soak a line over the weekend?