• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for good Walleye Fish Tacos Recipie

FISH TACOS

SLAW:

1 -16oz Bag Shredded Cabbage

¼ Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro

3 T Lime Juice

2 T Vegetable Oil

¼ t Chili Flakes

½ t Salt

SAUCE

2 T Canned Chipotle Peppers

1 Cup Real Mayo

¼ Cup Sweet Pickle Relish w a little juice.

¼ Cup Onion

Blend until smooth.

FISH ( We use fresh water fish but you could use ocean fish)

Cut fillets in strips approximately 1.5 to 2” wide and 5-6” long.

Deep fat fry the fish fillets as you normally would. Use any fish coating you like.

(We like Cracker Crumb Coating / Fine Cracker Crumbs, Garlic Powder, Salt, Paprika)

Warm up Corn tortillas 1 at a time in a hot skillet or on the burner.

Put a fish fillet in a Tortilla, top w/ Slaw and Sauce.

ENJOY!!

Note: This recipe makes enough Slaw and Sauce for about 12-14 Tacos.

I like the looks of C Cords recipe but this was the recipe that I wanted to try next time we make fish tacos

Fish Tacos

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1 cup beer

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 lime, juiced

1 jalapeno pepper, minced

1 teaspoon minced capers

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

1 quart oil for frying

1 pound fillets, cut into 2 to 3 ounce portions

1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas

1/2 medium head cabbage, finely shredded

DIRECTIONS:

1. To make beer batter: In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Blend egg and beer, then quickly stir into the flour mixture (don't worry about a few lumps).

2. To make white sauce: In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and mayonnaise. Gradually stir in fresh lime juice until consistency is slightly runny. Season with jalapeno, capers, oregano, cumin, dill, and cayenne.

3. Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

4. Dust fish pieces lightly with flour. Dip into beer batter, and fry until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Lightly fry tortillas; not too crisp. To serve, place fried fish in a tortilla, and top with shredded cabbage, and white sauce.

I like to cube the fillets and deep fry them using an egg wash then dipped in corn flour.

After the fish are fried set them aside and lightly oil a large fry pan and fry some green &/or red peppers, jalepeno chunks, onions, corn and black beans until they soften up.

Add a package of taco seasoning and the necessary water, mix it all up in the veggies and add the chunks of fish.

Stir and simmer while you prep your tortillas and you're ready to go.

Serve them with whatever goodies you choose to.

It's SOOOOO good! And easy, too!

here just cut and copied it from a previous post... everyone wo'seaten them loved them...

O.K. here's one I made last week for about 20 people... A fish fry was being bantied about by all the neighbors, but nobody seemed too gung ho about eating batter fried fish, so I made a suggestion: walleye tacos... it drew mixed responses at first, but I talked them into it. even the ol' timers that said "they didn't sound too good" loved em!

Walleye Tacos

- cut walleye fillets into 1/2" strips, soak in the juice of 1 fresh lime for 1 hour

- while fish is marinating, mix up your different toppings and sides, for the sour creme topping I used 4oz of sour creme, 2 oz. of mayo a good heap of fresh cilantro and a tablespoon or two of taco seasoning, mix up thoroughly and set in fridge

- I also made up fresh pico de galo (sp?) tomatoes, peppers, onions all fresh from the garden, lime juice, cilantro, garlic and salt and pepper

For side dishes we made pineapple cole slaw and a black bean salad and fresh cukes/onions/oil from the garden

Then I took fresh tortilla shells and fried them and made them into taco shells

I took the fish out of the lime juice and seasoned liberally with taco seasoning and Emeril's essence and fried in a hot chili pepper infused olive oil till golden. Squeeze half a lemmon over the fish when finished

Put a few pieces of fish in a shell, top with some cheddar cheese and whatever topping(s) you like. We had shredded lettuce, shredded cabbage, pico, sour creme mix, tomatoes and red onions, salsa and even the slaw on top tasted good!

They were phenomenal! I kept making them and my wife said "how are we going to get rid of all those?" I think I cooked up 48 of them... well we didn't need to worry about left overs! It looked like a storm hit the serving table! They were a hit. My neighbors are all wanting to donate fish again for a repeat over labor day... but I may have something else in store...

Good Luck!

Ken

OK,

I don't think I can decide which one to try. I think you will all have to make your recipie during the time of July 23 and Aug 7th and I can stop by each of your houses to sample and see which one is best! LOL

Those are the days I will be in Minnesota on our annual two week trip to Cass Lake!

Thanks for all the great info guys!

For a sauce I like to use a Tzatziki sauce. Pronounced ta-zi-ki, it is a greek sauce that is put on gyro sandwiches.

Here is a basic recipe...

medium cucumber, peeled, sliced in half, seeded and finely chopped

1 cup plain or greek yogurt

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon red or white vinegar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 or two clove garlic, minced

You can run it through a blender if you want it smooth. And you can jazz it up a ton of ways. Dill is a nice touch. So is mustard. I like to add some smoked chipotle peppers and/or those nacho jalopenos to kick it up. Tomato's or ketchup can be added also.

Use non-fat or greek yogurt(its nonfat) and you'll never know its healthy. This goes well on alot of things, ie - sandwiches, wraps, burgers, a dipping sauce...