• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bear guns??

Curious as to what caliber gun to use I have high powered rifles and rifled 12 or 20 gauge shotguns and a bow. I do realize they all work and shot placement is key, that being said. I get into debates with my buddies over rifles or slugs...bigger, heavier chunk of lead vs more velocity and energy what do you think? I'm curious if people have used both and what seems to work better, considering most shots will be close long distance isn't a concern.

Thanks

I only use bow so I cant say forshure. I do know that most guides/oufitters say a 12 slug at close range is the better option. Now if you are sitting 100 yards away or more I would go with a rifle even though I have not heard of people hunting bear from that far.

My 50 cal. TC muzzleloader is my weapon of choice. At 20-30 yrd just cant beat it. I've done the rifle thing with with 150 hornady interbond an was impressed with the results in 30-06. But I was expecting a longer shot than what was presented to me an was really hard to to place the crosshairs on a bear at ten yards dialed all the way down. Would like to use my 12 gauge but I dont have a rifled barrel for it, dont think that would make much of a difference at close range anyway. Done the bow thing gonna do that again, first bow kill an first bear was with that, true rush. Gonna get a crossbow for next year but I'll be toteing my smokepole for the time being. 12 gauge's are a great choice but not sure if it's recommended to shoot a saboted slug thru a smooth bore barrle. 20 gauge also. If My Ithica had a rifled barrel I'd use it for sure. Boar

I have a muzzle loader also was thinking that, thought 12 gauge be better? I've never gotten a bear and didn't want to risk wounding with the bow I'm good with it but may be nervy first shot at a bear? And shooting from my climber stand a little harder and more movement with bow.. I'm torn on what to use....

I used my weatherby 30-378 last year but didn't get any shots...leaning toward 12 gauge because so many people use them that I talk too, bigger hole.. would also be lighter to carry on wheeler and up the tree.

I agree bow is a great rush I have shot many deer with one or my crossbow last year was cool, I'm a tad worried I'd be too amped up and miss my first shot at a bear or it see me move as often as get drawn would like to get one this year.

totally understand the worries, when I dressed my bear I shot with a bow, haert, lungs, liver, stomach, everything was intact. I could'nt figure out what killed this bear cause it bled out within 30 yards of my stand. Turned out i had hit the main arterie under the spine an missed everything else. I was'nt aiming there thats forsure. For the first bear I got lucky. I'm not trying to pursuade you against the bow, but if your already questioning yourself till you get one under the belt maybe your smoke pole would be the comfort choice. But.......first bear with a bow is awsome. Learn your anatomy of a bear the hide an hair can really distort where you need to poke a hole. You can do it.. Believe me, no matter what u use, youre gonna get pumped up. The day my heart dosent jack hammer my chest when a bear enters the site is the day i quit. Boar

I took one with a original 1800's trap door 45-70 with a 305 grain softpoint that also works well. I still have not taken one with the bow even after trying for a few years now, something about me and bear hunting just just allway bad luck or nocturnal bears. Good luck and hopefully you can get one.

Thanks boar I just want to get one its a lot of work to miss or worse wound one. I get a deer or two with the bow every year but I remember my first and buck fever bad...probably use shotgun gives me large caliber and more than one shot if need be, unlike my muzzle loader...

Last year was my second year getting drawn. Found my own site, made 530 pancakes with a bunch of other bait, sat 5 minutes. Sprayed jelly donut spay then barely got my release on when it came in. Had to sit and wait for the perfect shot but shooting it with a bow it was worth the wait. With a slick trick though the lungs and opposite forearm it only made it 30 yds. Definitely was not prepared for the death moan, spine tingling. Aother thing to think about it sight visibility. It gets darker in the woods sooner than out in the open. If you cant see you sights dont bother shooting, my bow has fiber optics with no peep. The brighter the better, most muzzleloaders have fiber optics if that helps.

I use federal truball rifled slugs in my smooth bore 12 gauge. Accurate enough at 50 yards.

12 gauge's are a great choice but not sure if it's recommended to shoot a saboted slug thru a smooth bore barrle.

Jay lightfield has a 3" mag comander IDS plus has a600 grain slug with around 1700 fps. an a 3 1/2 mag. with 1890 fps. thats more muzzle energy than some of the big rifle mags out there. That'll put a thump on a bear an anchor him good. Frosty, whats that rifled slug do your smooth bore? Boar

Not sure why but my last post was incomplete? Meant to write I use the partition Gold and they work well 3" sabot 2000 fps 365 grain. I did a lot of looking and they were about the heaviest and fastest I could find and they shoot nice groups. Anybody else use those or have better suggestions?