• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar Fl-8s from the boat

pikehunter

I'm interested to know anyone's experiences with using their Vexilar Fl-8 from their boat. I'm considering buying the open water style 'ducer with the suction cup mount. I like the portability and the ease, of the system.
I'd appreciate any input from anyone who uses their Vexilar FL-8 from the boat, or knows those who do.

Thx!

I've been using my FL-8 on several boats over the years. This year I am going to have 2 set-up on the front and back of my boat. They work slick, especially locating those sneaky crappies in the summer! Plus the FL-8 shows a lot more detail/fish when my Lowrance LCG does not!

This past summer I used my blue ice box in the front of the boat with a friend's trolling motor transducer, but this year I am mounting everything. I also made my own portable bracket that fits over the transom on my 14' boat, canoe, etc..for off the beaten path fishing trips.

You will not regret getting the equipment for summer use!

While I'm not saying that they don't work for everyone, I am saying that I don't care much for the Vex in summer use. We replaced an Eagle LCD with a Vex last summer in the front of the boat and I had the hardest time remembering what we just floated over. Granted, it was on the Croix and you need to keep your head up more often than when fishing a lake, but it just doesn't show you a history. Maybe it's just me...but my Vex will be on vacation until next December.

I have used my FL8 in the summer for the past few years. I have a high speed transducer on the transom and a trolling motor transducer set up in the front. I find it valuable to confirm what the Eagle shows for fish or weeds. I find that it works good unless the boat is in water deeper than 25'. After that the Eagle seems to lose bottom till I turn the FL8 off.
In my friends boat , when drifting and vertical jigging , we have used the floating transducer and Pro Pack for the guy up front. Makes it easier to work a jig when you can see the bottom.
Dino

[This message has been edited by Dean Ross (edited 04-04-2003).]

sittin over the vex in late summer to late november is about as close to ice fishing as it gets. holding over a pile of eyes and watching them come after your jig in real time, thats a blast.

I've used my FL8 in the boat the last couple of years, I just used the ice ducer sitting on the floor of the boat. It shoots right thru the hull, of course it's easy when the bottom of the boat has a 1/4" of standing water all the time. grin.gif

I've used my fl-8 off and on for the past 8-9 yrs in my boat. I also have a Lowrance unit going at the same time, and it's useful to check one with the other to get a better data picture of whats down there. Bottom line: I trust the readout of the vex 100%. It's great for reading deeper bottom makeup and transitions,and also finding deep cabbage and weed. the drawback is that it can be hard to see in the full sunlight, and a small folgers coffee can with both ends cut out, and painted flat black helps keep the screen in the shade, but some times you have to stretch your neck or turn the boat to see the readout. Also like mentioned earlier, it's great for finding 30-40 ft deep fall crappies.

I have run the FL-8 SLT on my river rig for 4 years, love it.

I have the hi-speed ducer on the rear, works great.

A friend Dr.D had a great idea for using the puck inside the boat in the summer. He glued a PVC tube in the sump and adds water to it, then inserts the ice-puck. It shoots through the hull and works fine. I would add a thin foam piece in the tube to protect the ducer from scratches.

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

BWGedcatlogobar.jpg

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 04-04-2003).]

while the fl-8 or 18 are great units, I think they have no business on a bow of any boat. I have a fl-8 on my bow, the problem is this, the sun. I cannot see the screen at all while fishing on the bow, with the ducer on the trolling motor, and the unit on the bow. if anyone tells you that this is the unit to have have on the bow of the boat, thay are blowing smoke up you no where. I am switching to a lowrance lcd unit, or eagle, or garmin. keep the vex for icing, thats all its good for, period.

I upgraded to the FL-18 this year & haven't had any problems with the sun. I used to use 2 coffee cans taped together to see my old FL-8 display, but the new FL-18 is fine in the sun. I fish the Mpls. lakes with a small jonboat & shoot right through the hull. I have done that with my canoe too over the years. Like Duffman, I usually have a little water in the back of the boat so it's no problem. I leave the unit on the blue box & just drop the transducer in the back of the boat. Otherwise, you can epoxy in the transducer or go with the pvc method. The FL-8/FL-18 works great as an open water flasher. Vern

The Vexilar paroducts will work well for depth and bottom structure .. but you really need to keep staring at them for fish finding purposes, and exercise your memory for what you just passed over.

Buy a Zercom LPG .. the 160's & 240's are great models. They are just as sensitive as the Vex's, more accurate, have better zoom modes than a FL18, and will not lose contact with the bottom as long as the ducer is in the water. A friend of mine has one on his ranger and still reads at 70 mph... my boat doesnt go that fast, nor would I want it to .. but it reads nicely at 30 mph. If I see something on the Zercom .. I know something is there, it doesnt give the false readings many other finders do on the market. I use my z160 on the ice and it holds its own to any FL18 ... with the lack of the pretty colors.

knoppers, I disagree that they do not have a place on the boat, far from it.

The newer FL-8, FL-18, and the FL-10 In-Dash models have the new displays that are sun friendly.

If you have an older unit, that is getting weak, consider getting the unit upgraded to the new light friendly display. It is a cheap conversion, plus the brush's tend to wear over time anyway.

The older units with the old display dials do wash out in bright sun, no argument from me there. Try quality polarized glass's, that helps significantly. Better yet go for the upgrade.

For FAST Service and/or if you have any questions try this link.

http://www.vexilar.com/help/contact.html

If your a river rat, the FL-8, the FL-10 In-Dash, or the FL-18 is very hard to beat.
fl10_floating.gif
FL-18_150px.gif

If your set on a LCD unit, or a color display unit, then try the EDGE-2 or the NEW CLC-200 (VERY COOL).

LC507_150px.gif

clc200_150px.gif

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

BWGedcatlogobar.jpg

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 04-05-2003).]

Hey folks,
Thx. for all the info. As always, it's always appreciated.
I think I will be purchasing the new 'ducer as what I mainly want is portability and structure/depth readings.
I fish from a canoe sometimes, or on trips when I don't want to drag a boat, I'll rent, which makes it a neccesity to have a highly portable unit.
Again many thanks (by the way, that coffee can tip is genuis!)your help is appreciated.

pikehunter