• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bait Keeper and Livewell Oxygenators

GullGuide

Hey all,
Just received my "Livewell Oxygenator" unit. This baby looks to be the real deal as far as keeping your bait and fish in tip-top shape.
This unit can oxygenate up to 32 gallons of water, perfect for your boats live well or your minnow tank at home!

I will be putting this baby through the wringer as far as testing goes, but as I sit here looking at it, it looks to be very durable and well made. It runs off of a 12 volt battery, is compact and easy to install.
Keep checking this thread, or click this link-
http://fishingmn.com/oxygenator/
for more information on this great new product!

[This message has been edited by GullGuide (edited 01-22-2003).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

They also have a Bait Keeper Oxygenator.

These are not aerators that only get up to 53% saturation in ideal conditions. The aerators also have to run continuosly.

The Oxygenator only runs as long as it needs to while producing pure oxygen by separating the oxygen molecules from the hydrogen in a water molecule. How does 98% saturation sound to you?

Very effecient method of saturating the water with high levels of oxygen and keeping your expensive bait alive many times longer than without or even with an aerator.

Low power usage as well. It only runs when oxygen levels run low unlike constantly running an aerator or livewell.

These babies will pay for themselves quickly by keeping your bait thriving and alive where they would normally die because of low oxygen levels.

Bait is expensive, now keep them thriving and lively for use the next day or even later. How many times have you had your expensive shiners die on you?

Keep your bait healthy and lively. Also keep your fish alive in your livewells without having to run the livewell to keep it aerated. Dead fish start to spoil quickly. Keep them alive as long as possible.

Fresh fish is the best.
Also, consider the battery power/life you save not having to run your livewell pumps.

Live Bait Kept Alive Saves Money

Discovered the Oxygenator stuff last year in a desperate attempt to keep redtail chubs in good shape during a stretch of super-hot weather. Purchased their "Mini" bait keeper for minnows in a cooler. Lost scarcely a redtail all late summer or fall-- even during in some temperatures that otherwise would've spelled doom for these critters. Costly at $9 per dozen.

Great concept, durable product. And it works over the long haul.

-a friend called Toad

I have to say this unit is very impressive. I keep a lot of minnow at home pretty much all winter and then again in spring and fall. I have an aerator system set up in a 5 gallon insulated bucket, but I still have a lot of loss. After switching over to the Bait keeper Oxygenator, my minnows don't even come to the surface anymore. I don't have to listen to that noisy aerator and I have yet to lose a minnow. As Toad mentioned minnows can get expensive, especially when you are buying shiners, Redtail chubs, etc.

I am really excited about the Live Well Oxygenator that I will be installing in the livewell of my tournament boat. If these units can keep my minnows so happy I can only imagine how the fish will like it. I know I will, no more dead fish penalties in the hot summer months! Scott Steil

I saw a unit similar (if not the same) at the RCL championship at redwing mn. They used them in the tanks you dip the fish in before you take them to the scales. The tournament people were ecstatic about how well they work and the fact that they lose very few fish before returning them to the river.

Thordog/ Probably from the same company. They make a larger one for tourney tanks. I got the Magnum for my boat. It will certainly help for keeping tourney fish alive on hot summer days. I also plan on using it for keeping big suckers alive for fishing pike in the summer. My livewell pump just draws too many amps. This device draws very little and you cannot even hear it working. I have used bubblers in the past and they dont compare to this product. I got maybe two years out of my last bubbler. This device has a different concept for keeping oxygen in the water and even employs a sensor to sense how much oxygen is needed. The life span on these units is 20 years. It will pay for itself in the first year from not losing bait. Anyone who uses livebait or has a livewell, needs one of these units.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

That was the same unit that was used in the tanks at the RCL Championship in Red Wing. However, a little bigger unit then the bait bucket one. I am telling you, these things are amazing. I have not put my bait outside to cool down the water since I got the unit. The unit has a temp sensor that will increase the cycle time as the temperature of the water increases. The warmer the water the more the unit runs to keep the 02 levels up. My minnows are now so lively I am having a hard time catching them to use them. Scott Steil

These are the very same units found in the MN Pro/Am Bass Tour, the RCL TOC, and look for them soon on the FLW and Bassmaster tours.

These units are amazing! I used them all last summer in my Triton bassboat fishing tournaments in Minnesota, Arkansas, Texas, and Louisiana (water temps in the 90's there!) and had great success. This winter, I have been using the baitwell unit to keep all of my bait alive while on the ice.

These units are temperature sensitive, meaning that it cycles on and off to maintain high oxygen levels at all water temps. As we all know, warm water holds less oxygen than cold water, so to compensate, the Oxygenators cycles "on" for a longer period of time.

Low maintainance, low power draw, built to last, no pumps, hoses or noise.

If you haven't seen or tried these units, you owe it to yourself to check them out. They truely are the next best product to hit the fishing scene since GPS!

------------------
Adam Johnson

You guys ever try lighting the hydrogen bubbles? When the unit is running there will be bigger bubbles coming up to the surface. Hold a lighter to them. Kinda makes me wonder if a livwell would hold enough to hurt a guy whi opened it with a cirarrette in his mouth. Probably not but just thinking.
Brian

I am on 2 1/2 weeks now with the same minnows (Shiners/Fathead/crappie mix) I am going to quess a total of 5 dozen minnows in 2 1/2 gallons of water. I have changed the water once and so far I have had 4 casualties, all crappie minnows. For the most part they have been sitting in the house. When it was really nice out a couple weeks ago I put them outside of a day or two.

I must say the Bait Bucket Oxygenator is impressive. No shiner casualties yet and they were always the biggest problem. I have not been running the oxygenator constantly, I have been running 1/2 day on 1/2 off. I got just over 2 weeks on the first set of batteries.

This week I switched to 12 hours on and 1 day off. I will let you know how long I get out of this set of batteries. The minnows appear to like the oxygenator as much as I do!

Maybe this is the solution to the hydrogen powered car that George W. has proposed grin.gif I will be getting one for myself in the next few weeks. I'm sure my wife will understand the money that I am saving..... ;D

[This message has been edited by Gadgetman (edited 02-11-2003).]

Now is a good time to take a look at the Oxygenators.

When you see dead expensive minnows floating in your bait bucket or bait well, you will wish you had one.

You may want to have yours for the open water season.

The Oxygenator is popular.

Click the link below for details.

http://fishingmn.com/oxygenator/

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-30-2003).]

How to install magnum. Do I have to run the cord from my battery into the livewell or is there another way to do it. How many gallons of water will be smaller unit oxygenate? Thanks.

Leechlake,

To install the magnum unit, what I did was to drill a 1/4 inch hole in my livewell (above the waterline) into the bilge where my cranking battery is. I then simply connect the wires to the proper terminals on the cranking battery (no switch needed). Then secure the unit to the bottom of the livewell with stick-on velcro or just use silicon glue. Fill in the wire hole with silicone sealant and your done. Complete install time of less than 20 minutes. It's the best thing you can add to your livewell or baitbucket! smile.gif

The magnum oxygenates tanks from 10 to 32 gallons. The mini is for 2 to 5 gallons.

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Just a reminder:
These are not aerators or pumps that have to run on your batteries constantly just to keep minimum oxygen levels.

The Oxygenators produce pure oxygen, that is at the preferred levels, and runs only when needed (Very Quiet).

They are rated for 20 years.

Payback in saved bait alone should easily be in one season for most.

Did we mention the battery savings yet smile.gif

Take care and
GoodFishin smile.gif
Rick

The Oxygenator Bait Keeper (Mini) works well at 5 gallons.

The The Oxygenator Livewell Keeper (Magnum) works well at 32 gallons.

How many gallons does your bait well hold.

Most likely the Bait Keeper will be the right choice the use you indicated.

If the water in your baitwell comes from your livewell, you can kill two birds with one stone with the magnum. You can keep your bait alive longer and when you catch more fish because your bait is so lively, you can keep your catch alive by having your livewell water well oxygenated.

If your baitwell is separate, you can always buy them both! wink.gif

Good luck and I know if you try the Oxygenator, you will not be disappointed!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Now that's is a very good idea Adam smile.gif

I hadn't thought of that.

The Oxygenator (Mini) attaches easily to a bait bucket or 5 gallon pail. The power pack attaches to the outside of the bucket with velcro (it's very light) and is easily removed when not in use.

The Mini will work fine for your application.

Click here and take a peak at the Oxygenator.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-10-2003).]

OK, you all have got my curiosity up now. I do not have a baitwell, but I'm wondering about using this in a minnow bucket. Is the mini unit totally submersible, or do you need to keep the power unit dry? Do you put the whole unit into a minnow bucket, or do you need to mount it somehow? I'm curious since we'll be spending a week at a cabin this summer and I'd like to keep the minnow bucket tied to the dock or in my boat. Any drawbacks??