• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trophy Pike

Okay, so lets start the great debate.
Which lake will produce the biggest Northern Pike this season? (open water only)
A) Red Lake
B) Vermilion
C) Mille Lacs
D) Leech
E) Lake Of The Woods
F) Other

Please state time of year,lure and presentation if possible.

My choice would be c, d, or e, you pick. About 4 years ago I caught a 40" northern off Indian point on Mille Lacs using a jig and minnow while walleye fishing in mid november. Two years ago I caught a 42" monster pike on Leech lake with a jig and minnow off otter-tail point in late october also while walleye fishing. Both fish came late in the fall and while fishing on the rocks. Both fish were released. Someday I plan on getting a graphite done to immortalize the moment.
Tight lines.
Mike

Hi all,
I will "cast" my vote for the Big V.
I have caught them up to a 44.5"er and I have seen them over 45" many times.

The overall numbers are lower than some of the other choices but the average is
over 4lbs and 10 to 15lb fish are very common. smile.gif

------------------

Terry "Ace" Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
aceguideservice.com
218-753-2612
[email protected]

What about Rainy Lake?

We've caught and released numerous Pike in June or July over 44" using Redeye Wigglers, Cisco's and plain old Red/White Daredevils...

How about Devils Lake, ND?

Vermilion's got some nice ones. My nephew landed a 41" beauty off the dock in 8' of water in July. I guess that ol' girl didn't read the textbook about trophy pike locations during warm water months, eh?

------------------
...if I only had more time off!...
Dawg

Well, I caught a 43 incher on LOW a couple weeks ago. THe average size pike we were catching was very good. Not too many fish under 34-35 inches. I would have to say the best potential would be LOW, in my mind.

Jim W

I would have to put my shot out for Red Lake. Caught some dandys there this winter. 40, 36, and many between 35 and 30. I guess the small ones are not trophies but they are fun on the tip-ups.
bf

Chells,
Didn't want our little secret of Rainy Lake to get out! LOL
By the responses I would say there are alot of big pike out there!
Also by the low number of responses I would say not to many guys are fishing for them. smile.gif

I got the fish of a lifetime back 4 years ago on Vermillion.. I put her back so she is still there if she didn't die of old age..

50"... by length and girth she went 34.5lbs...missed the world record Catch and Release by 1/2" on 8 lb line.

see if this img works
sportnorthern.jpg

[This message has been edited by Exudedude (edited 04-03-2003).]

Excellent fish Exudedude. WOW!!!

I'm still trying to top a 46" on LOTW. I'm kinda partial to my home lake so that's my vote. Got to see a 51 incher thrown back 2 years ago. One of these years I'll break 50....48 anyways!

fiskyknut