• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strange "Catches"

TUMBLEWEED

I caught a young Loon once on a sucker. I had to have my wife row us out as fast(not really..) as she could so I could reel up the slack and cut the lne within about 6". The Mother Loon was freaking out the whole time and stayed within about 10 feet. I saw the loon fly over us the next day with the short bit of line still hanging out. Glad to know I didn't kill it.

I also caught a mud puppy once. That was very hard to hold and get the hook out. It just kept wriggling around. (I also caught a small eelpout and bullhead within about a half an hour of catching the mud puppy- talk about slime creatures!)

I have also purposely "caught" fishing lures that have dropped down the hole while icefishing.

Two of my sons are rabid Sturgon fishermen who camp out on Wisconsin riverbanks every fall. #2 son had a bite but his rod was dragged into the river before he could get to it. A half hour later, #3 son got a bite. He reeled in and he had hooked the bail of his brother's reel. He reeled that one in and it still had a 40 inch Sturgon on it. The minimum keeper size is 50 inches so it was a throwback, but #2 son was sure glad to get his rod back.

I guy a couple years back caught a Piranha on Lake Orono in Elk River. It was between two and three pounds and made the local paper, complete with a picture. Apparently, someone got tired of their aquarium pet....

I know ther are lots of fishin stories out there but my father who is deceased will put his hand in the the truth of this story. medicine lake I was probably 4-5 who knows back then. we rented a boat and started early fished late, not a bite my granfather (still with us) was here from CA getting skunked really stunk. So we headed for the rental place empty handed and a little hungry. As we headed at full speed twards the docks there was a thump and I kid you not a frickin northern flew in the boat.....It must have jumped at the wrong time... ahhh memories R.I.P Richard

I've alson seen a Pirhana being caught, out of the Mississippi off the Wakota acess. I was fishing next to the guy who caught it. It was about 1/2 lb. He took it home and said he was going to use it to practice taxidermy on. It'd be interesting to see how it turned out.

it really happened it weighed in at 1 and some pounds a snake but a keeper. pirana I dont know but if you put your dead fathers name on it I'll beleive you

Fun stories!

I caught a mass of maybe 8#. I must have pulled in 30 feet of line when I felt more resistance and saw the orange Rapala hung up on some Dacron. I pulled until I could reach and untangle it form the line and started pulling in the heavy line it was hung up on. Next thing I knew as I was pulling the line, it pulled back, moments later I heard a SNAP! and the line broke and peeled out of my grasp.

When we were young, my cousin was casting off the dock and hooked my brother right in the lip. Just about pulled him off his feet. Would that be considered a keeper? Whats the limit on people?

Growing up fishing the shores of the Mississippi River has given up an endless aray of oddball catches.

1: waterdogs (mudpuppies)
2: used condoms
3: numerous articles of clothing (no purple panties)
4: rocks, clams, & crayfish
5: turtles of all local species
6: 30 lb thrust minnkota troling motor
7: A 5 lb carp with a square head
8: A herring type fish about 12" long
9: lawn chairs, bicycles
10: ducks and geese
11: minnow buckets
12: fishing rods and lures
13: stringers full of fish on a few occasions
14: dead deer
15: 3 unidentifiable fish between my cousin and I in one afternoon. They looked similar to a buffalo fish in a way. The coloring was very similar to a rainbow trout, and they had teeth similar to a catfish. They weighed between 2 and 4 pounds and fought like crazy.

I could make another list just as long if I thought about it for a while ... never know what you will be hooking into next.

Ely Lake Expert, where did you catch that rock on Vermilion...I saw someone put up a great fight with a rock there 2 years ago on fishing opener weekend. Guy fought it for about 10 minutes in front of about a dozen boats. Man was he embarassed.

The story by Tumbleweed on the previous page is one of the funniest stories Ive heard in awhile...