• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strange "Catches"

TUMBLEWEED

This might be a little fun. What is the strangest thing you, or someone you were
with caught while fishing??????!!!!

Let the strange tales begin!!!

My favorite was a couple years back. A bud
and I were on Bryant, doing some early season
trolling. Suddenly my friend cries out that
he's got one. I snap up the net and proceed
to the side of the boat. He tells me that
its not fighting much, and I warn him to
take his time. We don't want it doing the
power dives at the boat. Well, he musta had
500 yards of line out!!I'm scanning the water trying to see the thing, when this
orange shape finally comes up from the deep.
To both our amazement, I pull off a big
orange,colored snow shovel from his line!!!!
It musta been left out on the ice and was lost in the snow.....WEIRD HUH!!!

One of the first times I took my nephews fishing we fished a local trout/pit. One of my nephews proceeds to shout in jubilation! Rod bending over, he's fighting this large trout...so he thinks. WHen all of sudden up comes a dirtied pair of Froot of the Looms!!

Jim W

A couple seasons ago I was fishing a good hole for walleyes and perch.
We're catchin' a few fish here and there when my buddy sets the hook into something pretty heavy. I coach him along with this fish because he's got prety limited experience landing anything big.
The fish makes it's way near the boat only to dive back down to the bottom. After a couple of good runs he's tellin' me his arm is getting sore from this pig bulldoggin' him back and forth. I'm standing ready with the net because by now I'm convinced he's hooked a really nice walleye, and I don't want to loose this fish.
Finally the split shot makes it to the surface of the water - followed by a large waterlogged, mud covered NO TRESPASSING sign!

Fishing a drift on the St.Louis and I get a hit. Set the hook and fight what I think is a huge frisky Walleye. After about 5 min. I get it to the boat and go to net it. Here is not 1 but 6 fish on my jig! Seems some Hmong"s above me lost the stick they used for a stringer and I just happened to snag the rope they tied it off with on its way down the river.
One cast and 3 times my limit!

I've caught a crayfish a tennis shoe a one pound walleye and a 12 pound northern. What's so strange about a one pound walleye and a 12 pound northern, you ask?, the walleye, which had my hook in it's mouth was side-ways in the 12 pound northerns mouth.

I had just moved my fish house once this winter and I was jigging along for walleyes when I got a hit. I knew it wasn't a fish because it was just dead weight. I had my camera in the water but I couldn't tell what it was when I finally got it up to the hole it was a water logged pillow. Yep biggest thing I caught this winter a Pillow.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWALLEYES

A pair of high quality purple velvet panties...honest. This was only last summer on the Root River. Kinda made me want to move a little farther upstream! brsh.gif

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Caugt a minnow bucket with about six doz. fatheads in it....caugt a minnow bucket with nothing in it....still looking for two garys guide service caps though...many rods and reels...tons of old beer cans....some dna of a caveman or dino.....whats left??...may spring comebacksoon!!!!!!

------------------
garysguideservice
garytheguide.com
[email protected]
Phone: 218-744-3158

Wow me and a buddy were fishing the Mississippi today at a drainage about 3/4 down from launch and pulled out a real nice rod and reel... right in front of a little drainage pipe....

W_GFA

Just kidding... wanted to raz, was it Dennis who lost the nice setup ??

Really... my wife caught a very nice rod and reel once in Kansas...

1-a fish basket
2-while casting for panfish off my dads dock, i caught a pound and a half northern. Bringing it in, i saw that it had a stringer attached to its lower jaw. It was the weekend before opener.
3-2 ice skimmers my commrads must have dropped down the holes.
4-My own watch-and it still worked! 3$ holliday station special.

I know firsthand that old lawn chairs put up quite a struggle. Old rods and reels, mudpuppies, beercans, buckets, Drug a boat up off the bottom once but that was on purpose. Anchor ropes, one with anchor still attached, Still use it. One old lindy marker, still use that too.... Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

When guiding up on lake Bemidji a year or so ago, I had a couple guys out walleye fishing. They were both pretty new to walleye fishing so I was teaching them about Lindy rigs. So, we were trolling slowly along draging Lindys with crawlers and it was a pretty slow day, maybe caught a few small eyes. Then the one guy (he was from California) finally gets a hit. Now, forgeting all that I taught him about giving the fish some line, then slowly reeling in the slack until he feels the fish, and so forth, he just starts reeling. His drag is going and his line was running back and forth out from the boat, then under the boat, and he just keeps reelin. All the while, I'm standing ready with the net because I finally thought we had a pretty nice fish. After a short battle he gets his trophy... A spearing decoy!!! Caught in the eye, with a single #6 hook on a crawler in 20 ft+ of water!! The fins and such made it glide around like it was swimming. Needless to say, he was pretty proud of his "trophy" (after I explained to him what it was).
That was about the strangest thing I have seen caught on hook and line!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

I was fishing on the mighty miss one day for cats and caught a sock...then later i caught a shirt...then a pair of undies...then a shoe...I decided to stop fishing there, wasn't sure what I was gonna catch next :o
Never did catch any fish that trip.

Happy Fishing smile.gif
Chev

On Lake of the Woods a few years ago I caught a Rock. about half the size of my fist, it had a shallow indentation in it and the hook caught it just right. Simple but amazing a rock out of about 12 feet of water.

Ha Ha Ha!!! Keep em coming... Here's one:

Fishing from the bank of a large, man-made
lake in Oklahoma, an army buddy and me had
several poles propped up in cut willow forks
up and down a little beach. The crappies
were biting pretty good, when we about jumped out our skins,as a big copper-mouth
swam by.He had company too!! It was a hot
day, and it seems they were attracted by
the dead minnows we we tossing back into the
water after changing minnows.

Well, I can tell you we were staying pretty
sharp now, as these things are not shy!!!
Then, my buddy gets one of those looks,
and begins to re-rig one of his poles???
He strips off all the weight and puts on a big dead minnow. As one of those bad ***
snakes swims by, he casts a perfect shot just in front of it. Sure enough, he starts to feed line, smiles and sets the hook....
"SNAKE ON" he yells!!!!!

The next 30-40 seconds I would have given
anything for a camera!! Now anybody that
has ever had any experience with these
snakes will tell you they are plain MEAN
on a good day!! Now this one has got a hook in him, and he is going ballistic!!!! It
was on the surface thrashing and striking
out wildly. All the time my bud is hooting
and hollering. Then it figured out who was
the instigator and made a bee-line right
for my pal!!

He reeled like a madman, as the snake shot
towards him. He had to back up some to gain time to reel some more, and his face turned to more of a frantic look,just as the snake
came ashore. Then, came what I later called
"snake dancing". The poor guy had his hands full now.His rod was just long enough to
barely keep the snake from hitting him
with those fangs!!

I hollered for him to cast the snake back
into the water. In one movement, he swung
the snake out and as he did, the line snapped
and the snake was sent flying out into the water.A look of relief came over my friend's
face. He was pretty shook up. We packed it in for the day,and as we drove away we
started laughing our a$$e$ off!!!!!!!

Several years ago a friend and I were fishing the river north of Red Wing, all of a sudden he said I got one, but it's not fighting much, when he finally got it to the boat it was a mud puppy about 18" long. He yells at me what the ---- is that!!!! I told him it was a mud puppy, he immediately cut his line.

One other time I was fishing on Prior Lake, while we were drifting across this point, I get a nibble, so I let out some line and then wait to set the hook. When I was ready to set the hook the fish let go, about 10 seconds later I get another bite and feed it some line then set the hook. When I get it to the boat, there are 2 bull heads on my line, appearently when I got my first bite the leech and hook slipped through the first bull heads mouth and out his gills and the second one bit and held on.

Ole

Would you believe a condom in the Mississippi in downtown Minneapolis casting out a daredevel!
The strangest fish I ever caught was in Mississippi down by Redwing catching walleyes
when we start catching these silvery white fish that look like whitefish but have a flapper type mouth with a major row of teeth
and have red eyes.
I sure didn't put my fingers near that mouth.
I found out later that these fish are called redeyes. Ya never know what you'll catch in the Mississippi!

This is not my story, but.

i have heard of people catching snapping turtles, ducks, and on occation a loon. Not the best of catches but i am sure that they put up quite a tussel.

Would like to get my pole for my fishhouse back this summer though!!!!!

I will let you guys fill in the rest of this story. A nice little dead Perch makes a good bait for Sea Gulls. Give em plenty of line, make sure they eat it, set the hook, and hold on for a good fight.

I was fishing with my mother and a friend on nest last late summer, we weren't having much luck using suckers for northerns under bobbers, but there wasn't much else to do so we cast out the med suckers and waited. All of a sudden my mom's bobber went down, my mom waited a couple seconds and set the hook, her rod almost doubled over under the strain. My mom had a look of panic and joy, she said that she never had such a big fish on her line before and quickly we observed that it was not esox megalogiganticas but instead, our state bird! "Oh my god" my mom shouted. as the large avion surfaced and began thrashing its wings on top of the water. We all struggled to free the poor thing from the fishing line, but the line broke, the bird submerged, never to be seen again. We waited and watched for a looong time but it must have swam a couple miles away, cause we never saw it surface. That was a quite a strange happenstance.

JC

My own personal weirdest catch has been a couple soft-shelled turtles. I was fishing with a friend on Mille Lacs a couple years back, trolling over the rocks on the east side when he caught a rock slightly bigger than his fist. Hook found a crack in it just perfectly. That friend a few years early set the hook on what felt like a pretty good walleye, but it turned out to be a loon! He and his dad had a hell of time holding that thing down so they could get the hook out of the corner of its mouth. Its mate was raising an incredible racket the entire time!

Live: Mud Puppies
Not live: A ladies purse on the Mississippi near Clearwater. It had been stolen a year before in St Cloud. The wallet was still in there - no $ but her ID was there so I called her and she was thrilled to get it back!