• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2010 Summer Open Water Reports and Rambling

Nice fish there Tim those footballs are fun to reel in smile.I have only had very few times in the past couple months that I have had the boat out I am hopeing to get out this weekend.I see there has not been to much activity here on the site I know its been too hot and this weather blows!!! I hope everyone is doing well.I thought I would chime in and say Hi to the crew just wondering what everyone has been up to wink.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah weather has made it a little tough fishing . . . but the golf balls love the heat. As Tank says I am better at golf than fishing so might as well make some money where I can for all those lures I don't need. With less that 20 hr on the Yammy it decided to be uncooperative at a tourny on Champlain. Got a limit with the trolling motor but no money. $1500 in parts later . . . runs like a top . . . all covered by warranty. Either the wiring harness or ECU was bad. Yamaha has never had the problem so it was a learning experience for them as well. Very quick service considering the timing. Sandy Pond this Sunday . . .hear you can walk across the weeds.

Finally got the Grumman in the water for the first time this season. Yea I know the season is better than half over but Its the first chance Ive had. Went to Eaton Brook. Marked lots of fish in the deep stuff but No takers. Ended up casting into some shore structure. locked into a toothy critter just long enough to see its back and then the line went limp cry. Guessin decent northern but cant confirm.. Momma messed with a few small sunnies for a little bit then soaked up what little sun we had on the bench seat..

was great to finally get the boat in the water and relax for a few hours.

On a positive note, as some of you know, we have spent the last four months rearranging our house and our lives, so Crystal can have here dream job.. With any luck she will have her licsence in a couple weeks and Crystals Kids Family Day Care will be open for business. So if you need child care Ill put you in touch with her.

Anyone wanna try to have a small get together this yr??

This is what Team Worm did on Sunday, this was on Syracuse.com

The Oneida Lake Walleye Trail had its 4th event on Aug. 1. Results for the one-day event were:

1st Place: Lee Mnich - 11.57 pounds

2nd Place: Mike Domachowske - 9.19 pounds

3rd Place: John DeLapp - 8.60 pounds

Lunker award went to Lee Mnich with 2.94 pounds

Current Standing for the League based on points are:

75 - Iam Renfrew

49 - Russ Liddiard

46 - Lee Mench

33 - John Murphy

32 - John DeLapp

29 - Adam Henderson

29 - Bill McMahon

24 - Gary Czirr

23 - Mike Domachowske

21 - John Wallace

17 - Butch Edwards

17 - Mike Yarema

17 - Torrey Pfeifer

14 - Mike Fleming

13 - Eric Ellis

13 - Mike Root

10 - Chris Scriba

7 - Brian Hammond

0 - Steve Corsette

0 - Ebin Winters

The next event is the 2-day championship on Aug. 21 and 22. Weigh in is at 3 p.m.each day at The Old Boathouse Marina in Constantia, NY.

slimedarts have been over with for about 2 weeks now, you'll get one or two but that's about it. The bass and walleyes are in there now feeding on.......wwwhhhhhoooooooo, I almost gave it away.... LOL You have to match the hatch or else you will catch smallies and largmouth all day long and you need to get it into certain areas for the walleyes, they are laying a certain way on certain days according to the wind and sun... taken me awhile this year to figure a few things out and it's paying off nicely now. Now I'm out at mid lake and deep basins pulling some cranks and spinners off of in-line boards. Still a learning curve and finally has put some of the fun back into fishing, trying new things and adding more the arsenal. One thing you don't really think about shallow and that is what depth is my lure running but it's a totally different program when you are targeting suspended eyes.

Just back from our family vacation to canada. Had a good trip! The weather was a little screwy but the eyes bit well. Lots of eaters, not much for size - a few in the low 20's but most ran 15-18. Plenty of medium smallies and I found some nice gills too.full-1130-395-005.jpg

full-1130-397-064.jpg

We saw something interesting of note. The fish bit real well before and during the rain but shut right down after each batch of rain. Sunday it rained almost all day but Tank and I pounded fish. Monday morning they were tough going, by monday afternoon things were fine. Tuesday morning the fish were snapping before and during rain. Then by afternoon it cleared out and things were tough. Wish we had a barometer with us, I almost guarante it would show a coralation to the weather and fish activity...

Heres a pict of a storm that hammered us...

full-1130-399-017.jpg

Two of our eye spots had good numbers of big gills and sunnys. I took Beth and my niece there one day and they both started off with a double...

full-1130-400-009.jpg

full-1130-401-015.jpg

One day after breakfast Beth and I paddled in the kayaks down the one lake to the outflow and she caught about 50 of these in an hour or two...

full-1130-402-035.jpg

She did well jiggin eyes, just trying to get her to set the hook harder aint easy. Bout as hard as getting Timmy to set the hook less...

full-1130-403-048.jpg

A little video of some bass action...

More videos at HSOshow.com™

Had a little experiment going all week... We typically snap and swimm bucktails tipped w/ a piece of crawler. This week I tipped mine with various Gulp Alive. I had confidence going in and stuck to the plan. And saw no difference in fish numbers from either of us. If we kept track of fish boated over the last 10 years of this trip it would be real close to 50/50. And it was the same this year. I did like the fact of not havin to rebait as much. The pesky bass and gills couldnt pull the gulp off the jig as easy as the crawler.

I fished a bunch of Gulp bats but prefered the 2.5 inch minnow in the "new penny" color and the 3 inch Fry in "pumpkinseed" color. The 3 incher i'd trim about an inch off to shorten the overall length of the package. They work! And you dont have to mess with transporting or keeping them living. I'll be fishing them alot more...

full-1130-404-004.jpg

Hey guys just wandered in to see pics of the Canada Trip perfect! Wow even got to checkout the video, great stuff Jay! Still grinding games here but can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, only Utica Slow-pitch and Northern Men's Finals and the Prospect tourney at the end of the month and school ball school the 10th -12th in Saratoga and I am done for the season...

Jay, its nice to see somebody getting a vacation wink you cant beat double gills that is sweet cool.Even though you had rain and the fish bit well during its still better than work nice fish GANG smile.

Tim, I am glad you have light at the end of your tunnel but you are still playing with S O F T B A L L S laughlaughwhistle

So my my 5 year old niece gets the gumption to jump off the dock(about 4 ft). She does great and loves it!

Then Tank(grandpa) tells her "good job, next year you'll be diving off like grandpa. That turns ino "I know how to dive" by her.

My sister got this action shot... Full face/belly flop!

full-1130-830-kim714.jpg

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was fun and I have the tourney bug bite, nothing like matching skill against others and the fish. I have a LOT more to learn and I'm up for the challenge. I was going to fish the NEWC championship on Sept 11th and 12th but just can't seem to come up with the funds but it's ok with me. I'm already into hunting mode and have actually been scouting for the ice season and looking forward to some hard water action.

I agree Lee. Goose season is finally here so I was up talkin to the farmers and trying to get a lock n a couple local flocks of geese but seems the geese have all left my areas. Anybody know of any geese around where I can go WHACK some?? I gotta kill some buzzards.....

There's a group of Canadas sitting on the East end of Onieda around the State Park that fly off toward the South Central part of the end of the lake as they leave. Might be a corn field down there picked or a field they just like. BTW, fishing close to a place we hit in the Fall pulled out an 18 incher on a chartreuese rattle trap . . .8 ft of water throwing into 5, fought like a smallie. Water temp on the O is around mid 60s now . . .quick drop from the last rains.