• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boating tips?

fishing addict

fishing addict,
If you don't fish that big waters don't worry about it. But if you go out onto the big water go out with the right equipment. Have boat that is big enough. Also practic on a smaller body of water and know how you boat handles. Also know the lake if it gets really windy is it a shallow lake that is going to get really rough or will it just be a litte chop. Also be respectful of other boaters. I don't know how many times I have had a ski boat cut we off with a skier. All I can say in that situation is what a moron because he puts his/her skier in a heck of a position if they fall I had better be on top of the controls. For trailering a couple tips make sure you have the boat tied down this is important. Also check your tires often for presure and make sure that you grease the bearings annually if you trailer alot. When you take it out of the lake make sure that you remove all of the weeds from it. Just use good common sense and you would be fine. All I can say is practic and know your abilities.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWALLEYES

I'm not sure where you live but....the coast guard gives boating safety classes....try checking them out....good luck with your new boat!!!

The DNR publishes a free "boat saftey guide" This also details all the laws (such as how big and where the registration #'s need to be placed and whatnot. It also explains most of the other boating laws, as well as tips for operations and saftey requirements (# of lifejackets, etc). You should be able to get it at any liscence center; and they may even have one at a Fleet Farm or the likes. Just ask. Pretty much everything you need to know should be in that book.

As soon as the lakes open, go down to a landing and practice unloading and loading your boat. I have helped numerous people who can't handle their boat, which really plugs things up for people. One other thing to remember is DON'T DRINK and drive a boat. Experience is the best teacher. Go slow, especially if you are breaking in a new motor.

A little common sense goes a long ways to safe boating and trailering.

1 make sure that your drain plug is in.
2 have everything that you need in the boat prior to putting in the water.
3 make sure that you properly strap the boat on the trailer.
4 make sure you have the proper safety equipment, fire extenguishers, life vests, first aid kit, sun screen, some toilet paper(just in case) ropes, anchors.
5 if you are new to a lake a map is a good thing to have, get an idea of the depths and where to stay away from.
6 if you are in doubt as the depth go slow, less damage if you do hit something.
7 be courteous at the ramp and on the water.
8 pay attention to where you are going(someone almost ran my wife over because the driver was looking at someone on another boat).
9 pay attention to the weather especially on bigger waters.
10 have some fun smile.gif

[This message has been edited by upnorth (edited 03-31-2003).]

Upnorth had some good pointers-must be the northern grown for the ediquete.
-Dont put anything in the boat at home that will blow away-vests, poles, etc.. Make sure everythingin the boat is very secure.
-Do some things yourself-everytime. If there is a couple people preparing the boat, dont trust that someone else did it. Dont leave until you have seen with your own eyes the coupler, boat strap, wiring, motor clearance height, safety chain.
-When trailering, watch traffic behind you. If cars are on your bumper, make sure to watch ahead and slow down gradulally or they will have a prop in their grill. Make as wide of turns as possible, dont want to bounce the boat over the curb.
-The first time of year, i like to hook the garden hose to the motor flusher and start the motor at home.
-If it takes more than 3 minutes to launch your boat, something is wrong. either more practice or help is needed. Going in the water to launch a boat is not necessary-yet i see more people doing this. It really puzzles me.
-On the lake, just be curtious and leave lots of room, avoid people fishing or anchored.
Most of the information on passing, bouys, etc. comes in the boating guide furnished when you get your boat liscense.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Great answers,
Also if I might add, don't be afraid to ask for help! We were all new at this at one time. smile.gif Tis better to ask for help now than to plug the ramps during the opener.

Practice backing that rig up before you get to the ramp. Some of the people get a little testy when people go too slow for them. But ignore them and be safe.

Check to make sure you have your plug in and always carry an extra plug or two. TIP: We hang our plug on the snap that attaches the boat to the trailer so that we do not forget to put it in the boat - been there done that!

Common sense and manners will get you a long way also. Practice makes it a lot easier. Oh, and look where you are when you walk between the boat and vehicle. I saw a guy with a new rig with a bunch of stitches in his shin from his first weekend out. And remember - don't drink and drive.

------------------
Phyl

[This message has been edited by fishinphyl (edited 03-31-2003).]

All great suggestions but I would aslo like to suggest taking The Coast Gaurd saftey course.They will teach you the rules of the "road".You would not believe how many people do not know the common rules of appraoching,passing and meeting other boats.Its a wonder there are not more accidents on the water.The course also teaches many other things about your boat and how to operate it safely.Tracking in the wind,safe anchoring techniques and many more.Its a good course to take and you will be glad you did.

------------------
Minnesota River Guided Fishing
"fishhead"
[email protected]
www.mnriverguidedfishing.com

Them are all good tips.
Heres some more: Make sure you battery is charged, the gas tank is full, all your lights work, and you got some oars in case something bad goes wrong.

It does help to be good at backing up. Im 15 and can back up better than 1/2 the people at the landing; for me and my dad it normally takes 30 sec to back down to the landing, load the boat up, and drive out of the way. We can watch and laugh at the people that take 5 min to back the boat up, then finally get in the water to load the boat and have the truck 1/2 way in the water also, to finally 10 minutes later out of the water.

Be wise on which landing you choose on the lake, if its windy out; b/c loading the boat in 3 foot swells is not fun.

Have fun on the water!

------------------
"I got a bite..."

fishstunner reminded me of another one: make sure gas tank is not sitting on the hose between tank and the motor - this does not work very well. :D

Can you tell that most of us have learned this stuff the hard way?

One other thing: it is easier on your nerves if you learn on the smaller lakes that are not so crowded. Actually, we took our boat to a lake before the opener that is really small and practiced with the new boat. The wind also makes a difference on which lake we dock at even now. If it is blowing you away from the dock you might want to try a different lake that day.

------------------
Phyl

[This message has been edited by fishinphyl (edited 03-31-2003).]

Another thing about loading at the ramp, I believe that the most common problem is that the under experianced dont know haw far in the water to put the trailer, some go in all the way to the winch stand and cant figure out why the boat is allways off to one side when they get it out of the water, practice makes perfect. all ramps arent the same slope or depth, I found that on my rig the front hull roller sticking half way out of the water is best on gradual slopes and on steep ramps the fenders just touch the water.