• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tell me I'm not the only one....

Aquaman01

I lost a rod into the drink this past weekend - all my own fault - 'cause i didn't reel all the way up before tasking onto somehing else and drift...drift....ZING - SPLASH! If the water wasn't 38 degrees in a heavy current I would've dove.

Please share your oops stories so I know I'm not the only fisherman who does dumba$$ things. (the $$ are intentional - there's $150.00 in the river today that wasn't there yesterday)

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

Never droped anything in the river since I dont fish one very much. But I do manage to drop about 50-75$ worth of stuff down my ice hole every year. including pliers, jigs, glow jig lights, and etc. Dont phase me any more because I have done it so much. Kinda sad...... grin.gif

Last spring on our 2nd outing, early season crappie fishing. Went to pull up the anchor to move to another spot and all that was left was the clip. Luckly, we carry 2 anchors.

Move to the next spot via trolling motor. Fished an hour, pulled up the anchor and went to troll to another spot. No go, the prop had fallen off the troller.

Needless to say, we got our butts off the lake before something else decided to fall off.

Jo

[This message has been edited by JoJo (edited 03-24-2003).]

I was the guy that DeeZee said dropped in my rod right after you. Same thing-turned my head for a second drifting on Pool 2 and it was gone.

IF FACT---it was probably your rod on the bottom that snagged my jig. Please try to keep your garbage off the bottom. If I give you my address will you send my a check???

The ironic thing was that I spent about 20 minutes installing rod holder brackets on the boat that morning. I was only fishing for 2 minutes when it went over the side, I still had the rod holders sitting on the floor.

early ice out last year my friend tipped the canoe (he sat on the edge of the canoe when i told him to sit cuz he would tip the canoe) and we lost a cell phone, one of my fishing rods, everything soaked, and the worst thing is my whole box of cheeze its got wet frown.gif
that was the coldest i have almost ever been, and we chilled on an open farm field to dry off in the sun, it was about 40 degrees out that day with water temps that just had ice on it smile.gif i tried to take pictures of the event but the camera got soaked so they didn't work.

Sure Dave B, send me the bill. wink.gif I owe Fishhead .23 cents for the stinger hook that he loaned me, too. My son (4)lost one in Kabetogama last year - casting & it slipped - I was glad it was mine and not his again. "Little Trooper" or not - that would've pushed his limits.

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{

I'd have shaken more than his hand! (grrrr)

Good news! I stopped at a local sporting goods retailer (chain) to check out a replacement reel on my lunch hour and the exact same reel that was on sale during the fall was on sale AGAIN for 1/2 the old sale price! I got it, and a spare - 'cause the whole reel was the price of a spare spool, which I was gonna get anyway! If I use really funny math - I came out $20.00 up!

Keep the stories comin' - I feel better already!

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{

Have dropped so many rods into the drink and had to either swim down and get them or snag them with a treble hook that I bought these rod floaters that Blakemore sells. They are really sweet, will float pretty much any size rod and reel combos, Cabelas sells them 3 for $8.99

------------------
"Contrary to what most people think, the smartest person in the world is not a scientist, a teacher, or even a writer, the smartest person in the world is the guy who figured out a way to get paid to go fishing."

no, they really dont get in the way that much, and there is no loss of sensitivity

------------------
"Contrary to what most people think, the smartest person in the world is not a scientist, a teacher, or even a writer, the smartest person in the world is the guy who figured out a way to get paid to go fishing."

Two years ago I was fishing a lake near Brainerd with my uncle and my dad when my dad tossed his rod into the water. He was bragging how accurate he could cast and he was pointing out a rock that he was going to cast at. My uncle and I were watching him as he used all his strength to cast towards the rock only to have his rod fly out of his hand going into the water without a splash. We gave it a perfect "10". We all sat there for a second before the laughing started. Whenever we go fishing now we always joke about bringing the duck tape or a pair of those clip-on gloves that kids have so that my dad won't lose his rod. He will never live that one down.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Fishing Reports from MJ5 and Fishing Minnesota...
http://frida.blc.edu/~mjohnson/mj5.html

Hey - thanks ya'll! These are some innerestin' tales. My wife asked me tonight if I enjoyed yesterday, and I gotta say "yeah - big heck yeah!" Might go something like this...

Breakfast at McDonald's with son - $8.00
Soda & snacks - $10.00
Gas / Bait - $10.00
Brand new Rod & reel w/ new PowerPro - $150.00
Day out on the Father Of Rivers and pullin' out a mother of a walleye - (Too cliche - I can't type it)

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{

I've dropped the occasional thing down the hole, but have recovered more oops then created. I always seem to pull out rods, lures, tools, out of the lakes and rivers here.

My father though is a different story. We lost my brothers nice rig over board while pops was netting my northern, and one took his bait and over board it went. And when he was a kid he had a carp take his rod, then they paddeled around and found it stuck to some weeds, and landed the fish.

I had a friend's dog take off with a reel once. It was on a telescoping ultralight that had those sliding ring holders rather than the screw. Anyways, it came loose, and as soon as it hit the ground the dog leaped forward and grabbed it, before I could react. He swam out about 40 feet and dropped it into the water. We tried to swim out and find it.. but we never did. Fortunetaly I would never bring myself to spend $150 on a rod! Splurging for me is spending $75 on a combo, but even then it would stink.

Lets see my son has lost a few rods. His first was a gift and he pretty much just reached over and let go to see what would happen(he was 4 then). Forget what happened to the second one but now his rod is always tied to the boat with a old stringer.
Last year I was fishing one of my favorite spots trolling real slow. Less than 1mph. This guy comes from the other side of the lake heading right for me. Not sure what he was looking at maybe a map but he sure wasnt seeing me. I took a hard left and opened up the t-motor missing the guy by a few feet. His wake bounced me up and down pretty good. Next thing after hes past I reach for my coffee cup. ????? Gone. Sucker went over when I hit his wake. To this day I'm still sure the guy never saw me. I could have reached out and shook his hand but he didnt have a clue I was there. shocked.gif

When I was a kid I did a lot of carp fishing on the Mpls. lakes. We always had about 5-10 guys in our group on Lake Harriet & we'd catch some monsters. We'd set our rods in Y-sticks & wait for a run. It never failed, someone would forget to open the bail on their spinning reel & a carp would take off with their whole rig. I don't remember if we actually lost any rods, but we jumped in & chased quite a few that were skiing across the surface. Those were some fast powerful runs! We usually fished from shore, but I remember a guy diving off the dock once to swim after his rod. Vern

I've been pretty luck and haven't lost anything of value while fishing. I've seen my dad lose a nice rod and reel combo a couple of times while helping out me and my brothers when we were young. I busted a reel by stepping on it a few years ago, luckily it was just a cheap one that i use when screwing around at local lakes and ponds. My dad also had a walleye rod break right where the reel is/handle when he hooked into a big northern that wouldn't fit into the net. He tried to lift it out of the water and SNAP. I've also had thoughts of throwing some things in the drink, girlfriend, brothers, friends, ect.

A friend and I were doing some walleye and hot 100 fishing one day. It was raining out pretty good so we sat in the car. We would go and check our rods when the rain let up. We ran out of beer and hot 100 so we ran to the local tavern and picked up some more "bait" and we ended up staying for a while longer than we should have. When we got back we thought one of our rods were gone but just figured some of the kids had played a joke on us. Well the kids swore up and down they never touched the rods. So I threw 6 big sinkers and a dare devil on. On about my 10th cast a fish jumped out of the water about 100 yards from the dock. It crossed my mind that maybe that was the fish that took my rod. I casted a few more times in the direction the fish had jumped. On about my 15th cast it felt like I had a branch or weeds. As I brought my line in here was my lure hooked to the line just before the reel. I picked up the rod I had lost and brought in a 2lb northern.

Hey Aqua!
This is the cool thing I've done a couple of times: I usually bring 3-4 rods with to shore fish on the rum. Acouple of times I've left one on the shore and gone home. My way of making somebody else's day!

mm

Your not the only one.
Last year bout in Late July when its really hot I broke two $120 rods in a week. angry-smiley-044.gif NOT good. Good thing i could send them back in and get new ones but that week was not fun. Those Hagen rods can be easy to break when its hot out.

------------------
"I got a bite..."

Somewhere in the family is a pic of me wearing a red cowboy hat with a plastic gun belt and capguns. I am holding a canepole twice as tall as I am in one hand and a bluegill in the other. This is my first fish. I lost that canepole on another trip when a fish hit and took it with. As fishing was, and still is one of my fondest memories of my Dad, I will never forget that first pole or the heartbreak of losing it. I've lost other gear, Rods and Reels included since but that cane pole is the one I miss the most.

------------------
Commom sense isn't

[This message has been edited by 1Yogi (edited 03-26-2003).]

I have two stories about fishing that I think are funny.

1st this year up at lake of the woods we had just gotten sent up fishing and about a hour into the day I heard a splash I looked over to see my brand new ice setup hitting the drink and before I could bend over it was gone. Needless to say I was pretty [PoorWordUsage]ed since it was the first time out with the set up. I never heard it drag across the floor or nothing. Well low and behold about 2 hours later I felt some thing hit my jigging line so I set the hook but I missed the fish. I reeled up and was thinking this has some dead weight to it. I got the hook up and there was another line attached I thought that it was one of the other guys that I was with but theirs were all fine well sure enough here it was my lost rod and reel. So I was feeling pretty good about getting it back, not 10 minutes after I got it back I heard my Dad say "Well S@$T" We said what and his response was well there goes my rod and reel. We weren't able to get that one back.

The second story happend to me one year up in Canada. There were 3 of us in our boat. I was in the middle and netting the fish for my dad and the other guy with us so I had just been proping my rod against the steering wheel. I the guy in the front had just caught a fish and I was landing it for him when I heard my dad trying to say something but it happend so fast he didn't get the words out of his mouth. I turned around to see my rod going over the boat. Dad reached out with his rod and started to make loops with his trying to snag mine and sure enough he did. He brought it back into the boat and I picked it up and there was still weight there so I set the hook and there was about a 5 lb northern on the end. I couldn't believe it. There are so many stories that happend it it tough to remember or even tell them all.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWALLEYES