• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting reels ready.

Iceman12

I usually start with oil on the external moving parts. If there's any noise/resistance in the reel, I take apart and clean then grease/oil where appropriate. Then I cast them in my driveway until my arms fall off, or open water gets here....whichever is first. Some new line and you're ready to go.

------------------
I fish.....Therefore I grovel.

Here....Fisheeeeeeee!!

I'll grease and oil them if they retreive a little rough or the bail doesn't flip over easily with a turn of the handle. I usually take the spool off and wipe down the reel with a slightly damp cloth. And of course I re-spool them every year. I also clean the reel seat on the rod. I'm mostly a live-bait man.. so a lot of my gear gets messy by the end of the season.

And yes.. I too fish for "grass carp" in my front yard, to work the kinks out of new monofilament. I get a few odd looks; but it's worth it to help prevent birdsnests and backlashes with stiff line. It also surpresses some anxiety... it won't be long now!

[This message has been edited by Crawlerman (edited 03-25-2003).]