• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2010 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

so awesome!

I swear some of you guys need to write a book on getting the wife to agree to this kind of stuff...

Its called "dont ask dont tell" or it may be easier to ask for foregiveness than permission

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good so far lip_ripper. I have a few questions for you is that frame made of channel and then boxed in it looks in the pictures like it is stitch welded along the top. It looks to me like the front ram is going to be extended when you are traveling down the road exposing it to the road grime and sand if that is the case I would figure out a way to cover it during travel or it will pit in time taking cause it to wear out the seals I also noticed the hoses under the frame hanging down I would make sure that they are tucked up in there as tight as possible it would be a bummer to snag one on a chunk of ice. Noy sure of your interior plans but I would be sure to allow some heat into the area that holds your hydro I would also recomend using the oil that is designed for the snowplows stays very light even in extreme temps.

Thanks for the tips on the hydraulics! I have a boot for the front cylinder to keep all the road grime off of it. The hoses underneath will be attached to the plywood with conduit straps, and spray foamed. They will be well protected against most anything they should encounter. The hydraulic pump and reservoir sit right next to the forced air furnace (and ducting), so it should be kept fairly warm. Currently I have ATF in the system, which is what every builder of hydraulic frames recommended...what are your thoughts on that?

As far as the frame material, it is 2"x4" tubular for the 2 beams between the wheels, as well as the front and back 8' cross beams, and the entire 'v'. The rest is 2" angle, which I initially had some concerns about, but this frame is extremely solid. Along the outside (where you saw the stitch welding) is flat material that should eliminate the need for banking the house.

Ripper,

I'm just curious why people think it is benificial to finish the inside before the outside? I'm really not trying to be a smart @$$, I just wanted to hear the reasoning people have, without hijacking your thread of course. I'm assuming it will make wiring a little easier for you, but i'm curous as to any other benefits.

One reason I've heard of people doing the inside first is you can get full sheets of paneling in by sliding them through the studs (if doing paneling). If doing tongue and groove or something else its not as big of a deal. I've paneled inside a shell and it was a major pain. Not much space to operate in there and lighting is poor. Also easier to do wiring from the outside.

As to the other post about moisture... LP may cause some condensation, but IMO just exhaling is going to be a major source. not much can be done about it that I know of besides keeping the air moving and opening a vent/cracking a window.

As an FYI for those planning a build. The last house I built I kept my eye out at the big box hardware stores for returned special order windows. They are always tucked away in a back corner/section. Picked up 2 top of the line Pella slider windows (norm $200+ each) for $10 each. Took a while to find the right ones, but they worked awesome. I planned the openings to fit the windows once I bought them. Saved a ton of money.

Glad to hear that you already have the cylinder issue covered. The oil I am talking about is almost clear we switched ti it a few years back in the plow trucks it helps them from getting slugish when its really cold. I also know that it came with a price. I dont remember exactly what it costs. Just a thought. I like the idea of elimanating the need to bank the house.

so awesome!

I swear some of you guys need to write a book on getting the wife to agree to this kind of stuff...

You dont have to get her to agree to it just accept it. I am also in the process of building a new house this summer didnt ask just said I am building a new ice shack. she never said no or got upset its what I enjoy. The only thing she has asked about is if her car will ever fit in the garage again.

Picked up my siding last night.

FYI for anyone thinking of building a house anytime soon...Garelick Steel in Minneapolis has aluminum siding for $29/sheet and the diamond plate for $70/sheet. This saved me well over $500 from the next lowest priced supplier. I was in, loaded up, and back on my way home within 10 minutes.

Picked up my siding last night.

FYI for anyone thinking of building a house anytime soon...Garelick Steel in Minneapolis has aluminum siding for $29/sheet and the diamond plate for $70/sheet. This saved me well over $500 from the next lowest priced supplier. I was in, loaded up, and back on my way home within 10 minutes.

Are these the 5'x 10' sheets of aluminum? The last ones we got from them were that size. Nice in that you don't need as many to cover the house.

They have the 5x10's for I think $37/sheet. I got the 4x8's to have them be a little bit lighter/easier to work with.

Speaking of siding, the first 2 sheets are on:

P1010063.jpg

We started with the 2 back corners since they don't need any cutting/fitting. It is a bit of a challenge doing the screw-less installation, but it will look really nice when it is done.

The first step was getting any sawdust/excess glue off the studs, and measuring everything about 5 times to make sure we knew EXACTLY where the siding needed to be placed. Next I spread 1 1/2 tubes of PL Premium for each sheet on the studs and frame, and then spread it smooth with a slotted ice scraper. The nice thing about using the glue is that you can slide the sheet around a little bit after it is in place. Once it is in place, I used 8 bar clamps per sheet to hold it until the glue set.

Where the sheets overlap, I'll be using 3M VHB 2 sided tape on the underside of the seams. I bought enough to do all the studs, but luckily I did some testing to find out it doesn't stick very well to wood studs.

The options for attaching siding are glue, tape, or mechanical fasteners (screws, nails, etc). The glues and tapes are far better than mechanical fasteners, and it really makes no difference once you spray foam it from the inside...you are 'screwed' either way if you have to replace a sheet. A person pretty much just has to build it as solid as possible, be careful not to hit anything, and hope for the best.

Siding is all installed, and in the process of putting on the diamond plate. I should have pictures tomorrow.

A little slow on the pictures, but here we go:

P1010066.jpg

The siding is all on. It is glued to the studs, and taped on the seams. This is the first time I've worked with the aluminum sheets, but it went much better than expected. Quick to install, and easy to cut.

P1010065.jpg

The diamond plate is all sheared and bent, just waiting for a hand to install some of the bigger pieces. All the diamond plate is taped on with 3M VHB and also screwed with self tappers.

I'll be a little bit slow with pictures for the next couple days, but next week I should make some pretty good progress. Next up is the rubber roof, wiring, and spray foam maybe by the end of next week.

Here is where I'm at as of this morning. Rubber roof is on, all the diamond plate trim is on except for two pieces on the front, all the lights are on, the door is permanently secured, and I'm just about ready to move on to wiring.

Here are some pictures so you can see how I am progressing:

P1010068.jpg

P1010067.jpg