• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Product review time.

Deemo

I thought we could do a little product review of things that we were impressed with last year. Nows the time of year when we have to restock and replace. It would be good to hear what actually works for everyone.
Berkley sensation. I like the line no probs. with it at all. Small dia. works well on my jig rods. Sensative you can feel light takes.

Leech tamer. Wish i had one of these years ago. No more foam cups in the fridge.(makes the wife happy) Take a leech out of it and that suckers jumpin. Lively is a understatement. Plus when I leave the lake i throw a rock in the sucker and sink it off the dock. Unless the lake temp are really high like late july they are fine when I get back.

~one product that i am really impressed with is Cabelas new Recoil Grubs, it's almost impossible to break them. A three inch grub stretches to almost 3 feet.

~another product that i have loved for ice fishing is Berkely's Powerbait Crappie Nibbles. They have almost eliminated the need for wax worms when i am ice fishing. I dont have to worry aboot keeping them alive or sorting through the container to pick out the dead ones.

------------------
"Contrary to what most people think, the smartest person in the world is not a scientist, a teacher, or even a writer, the smartest person in the world is the guy who figured out a way to get paid to go fishing."

P-Line xtra strong - 6lb fluorocarbon -
Low visibility, jumps off the spool, which is a pos & a neg. Really, really strong with low stretch, but the knots burn easily.

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

Hi All,
My number 1 find of last season was the
soft Plasics from "Bass Candy" from the
folks at "Millennium lures". smile.gif

Their "Look alike" magic shad and their
mega tubes, put big numbers of bass and
walleyes in my boat.

The "magic shad' can be used on a jig or rigged weightless, for twiching just below the surface. smile.gif

The tubes are very durable and they are
great for Texas rigging, jigging, or on a Carolina rig.

Check them out! smile.gif

[NOTE from Rick: You can see the who;e line-up at:

http://Millenniumlure.com ]
------------------

Terry "Ace" Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
aceguideservice.com
218-753-2612
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 03-18-2003).]

Since this is the open water forum, I suppose
it's not for ice fishing stuff so I wont mention any of that. But, wasnt this a great
year for new stuff for ice fishing?

I started using the WaveBuster Slip Bobber
from Todays Tackle last summer and suddenly
I plan on doing lots more bobber fishing.

The WaveBuster casts straight and far, doesnt
tangle and the line doesnt hang up in the
bobber. Its nice when a product does what
it is supposed to and does it well.

------------------
Curt Quesnell
NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

Fishin show on Thief River Falls stations
KKAQ AM 1460 and KKDQ FM 99.3.

Airs 6:05 am and 3:10 pm weekdays and
6:10 am Saturdays.

A combination fishing reports, tips from some
real experts (not me). Heavy on the interviews with interesting fishing related
people.

No we dont webcast. It is a localized show
that wouldnt play so well if you werent
fishing Lake of the Woods, Upper Red Lake,
Bemidji area, Detroit Lakes area, Red River,
Or Devils Lake.

Regular contributors to the show include some
of our FM buddies. Jeff Beckwith, Paul Rohweller, Backwater Ed Carlson and BaitCo Mark Bieganek. Rick Paquin (founder of FM) has been on the show a couple of times.

Pwt Pro Johnnie Candle is a regular. PWT and
RCL Pro Tommy Skarlis and his partner Chip
Leer from Walker are on quite often.

Jim Kalkofen and Charlie Moore from the
PWT are on before and during each event.
Mark Dorn of the RCL does the same thing
for their events.

We had Mark Edevold on this winter with
the his BIG DIPPER ice scoop.

Bruce Mosher (this guy is always thinking)
has been on with Ice Busters, Wave Busters
Foam Walkers and all kinds of Busters and
Walkers.

We had the line scientists on from Berkley
a couple of times in the last year and
Bruce Wilson (Pure Fishing) talking about
the brand new design of ABU Garcia and
Cardinal reels.

We just finished up the second full winter
season on the show and will return everyday
beginning May 1 with the summer shows.

Was that alot more than you wanted to know?

Are you my AquaMan buddy from another HSOforum?

Curt Quesnell

------------------
Curt Quesnell

Good to see the replys .....but I was thinking for a little more .. cum on you guys you can do it ..

List something you liked
If you lost one you would buy another
You wouldnt fish with out it
And if it works for ice fishin why not put it on also? They are all on sale now!

It can be any thing u trust. Just the good stuff here we all have a long list of things that dont work like they should.

Minkota Batt. chargers.--Love mine I can use it anywhere floor roof wall. Rain or shine water proof and shock proof. Will charge any batt. that I can buy and do it right. One of the few things i trust.

Sorry but the ice fishing stuff also works on the water. Why put this stuff away. Tell us how it works and why you like it.

[This message has been edited by Deemo (edited 03-20-2003).]

The Golden Shiner Millenium spinnerbait is the best spinnerbait I have ever used. Caught several large bass, pike and even nice walleyes!
I tried other Millenium spinnerbait colors, but the (yellow) Golden Shiner was the best. I also lost my last one this fall, and will be ordering new ones soon!

One concern about these lures was a small plastic sleeve that got damaged (from casting) on all of the spinnerbaits. The sleeve divided the large spinners on the shaft. The plastic sleeve would prevent the blades from spinning properly running true. I tweeked the lures and added beads in replacement to cure the problem.

Curt - <')}}}}}><{
Is that the same? Wright County?

I'll see if my AM will pick your show up down here in Maple Grove while I'm at work. Sounds like a cool job, doin' that show.

If I lost my Mepps Spinflex (did) then I would buy another (couple of 'em). They are super versatile, and a high-quality product. They give a minnow great jigging action, and can take plenty of abuse 'cause they're not lead. Best prices I've seen on 'em is Fleet Farm & ******. Worst price is any catalog.

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

Aquaman,

You wont get it in Maple Grove.

Detroit Lakes area (if you can stand the
static), way out into North Dakota and up
into Ontario and Manitoba are the fringe
areas.

Its best to come right into Thief River
we come in good here.

------------------
Curt Quesnell

~I love a couple of the new Rapala lures, the jointed shad rap has performed very well, bass really seem to love it when you slowly work it with pauses on the outside of weed edges.
~The rapala long casts are amazing, they run like the original raps but they cast aboot 3 times as far.
~Haven't tried the new DTs yet but i like they way they look.
~Not very new but I havent found a better crappie lure than a 1/64 ounce mini-mite jig-in-a-tube with a pink head and silk-chartreuse tail
~got a couple of the Mepps Spinflex from Cabelas, dont know they are gonna work, but they look like they should do the trick.
~also got some of the Cabela's Recoil grubs -WOW!- a 3" grub can stretch to almost three feet withou breaking.

------------------
"Contrary to what most people think, the smartest person in the world is not a scientist, a teacher, or even a writer, the smartest person in the world is the guy who figured out a way to get paid to go fishing."

Hey Deemo-here's a few products tested from this winter. I tried fireline 2/6 on one of my crappie rigs and was a little worried about craps seeing the black line but I caught my biggest dump (15") w/ it and will be using it again. I also tried P-line 4 lb test on another crappie rig-I was very impressed with how easy it came off the spool and will be using more Pline products as well this winter and maybe this summer. I've converted many ice anglers to buy icebuster bobbers-simply the best!As for jigs I've had success using phelps- tics and snakes and frostees up on Red and will be using these again. Also like northland forage minnnow and creeps. Did well w/ angle eyes last year but not so well this year, Glodevils still have to prove themselves as well. Globuster lure light is always on my jacket for fishing after dark and is essential for glow lures. Still playing w/ salmo chubby darters and have caught eyes, perch pike and bass on 'em thru the ice-but haven't proven them for trout,yet- will also be jiggin them on the rivers to see how they 'll work. tried a zip lure for trout as well-no fish but teh experiment continues. Love my croxton pond bag and will never go back to the bucket. Aurora headlamp is now a permanent member of all my trips hunting/fishing. Browning silaflex reel worked better than I thought and had a Icebonz reel go kaput. Rock-N-Reel is awesome-simple yet effective. One of the coolest things I saw this winter is those small single mantle lanterns w/ the small globe-I'll be buying one soon. That's about all the new toys I played w/ on the ice-now it's time to play on the open water!! Looking forward to trying more Zips, chubby darters, bubble up tubes,lilrippers and madtoms this spring. Every year just keeps getting better....tightlines!
redhooks

I have found the Wrist Saver rods to work great. If you get a sore wrist or arm when you fish all day these rods will stop that. I know they look funky, but they work. The ice rods are even better.

PoleBender

Has anyone else had problems with the lips breaking off the Rapala long cast minnows? I had to replace 3last summer. Also, I, against my better judgement took some of my old Rebel Blackstar lures out last summer, I caught bass northerns and walleyes. The purple crankbait worked really well at night. and the crawdad was a killer for bass. I really wish Rebel would re-release the Blackstar line. Last year Berkley Iron Silk was the line of choice for premium conditions. The Storm soft plastics performed very well the tubes crawdads and swim-baits did a very good job at tricking fish onto my hooks. I used my EON 5600 almost exclusively last year, WOW I love this reel, smooth and very comfortable. The EON coupled with a south bend IM7 rod with the balancer made my fishing quite pleasant. This year I have made insert weights for a few of my rods and permanantly installed them. Well that's my two. Any insights to what will be the hot items this year?

Good luck!
JC

I second the Power baits Crappie nuggets and Maggots in the clear liquid filled glass jar! Outfished real waxies, last longer and you can bring them into Canada!
Power Pro 4-15 line is a great line for jigging, winter or open water, and cranking. Love it for deap water Lakers threw the ice! As long as your in a shack.

Sorry thought of one more thing I could never go without. Polypropaline(spelling) longjohns are something that I will always have a pair of.

I work in a freezer alot and these things keep me from freezing the old can off. 15 below for 10 hr and no problems. In the spring when its still cold 40deg or so all I need are these and a pair of jeans, sweatshirt and a medium weight coat and Im good to go.